Tight band round chest

Hi,

I have had surgery, chemo and radiotherapy followed by herceptin and am now taking Femara.

My problem is that following surgery (Feb 07) which was mastectomy, lymph node clearance and LD flap reconstruction, I am left with a feeling that I have a rope tied tightly round my chest, pulled tight so that it is difficult to breathe deeply and then pulled again and knotted so that the knot digs into my ribs!

I hope someone out there will know what I am trying to describe and be able to help.

I look forward to receiving any responses!

Bi for now

Hi Sue
I know exactly how you feel! It’s not pleasant. O to be able to have a really deep yawn without feeling that constriction! I’m seeing consultant today, so will post again if he has any solutions… other than ‘give it time’!
Judy

How did I guess what he might say! ‘Give it time’ was trotted out yet again, along with an appt for 6 months time.
Judy

HI , MY NAME IS ANITA , IM 41 . I WAS DIAGNOSED IN MARCH THIS YEAR WITH BREAST CANCER . I HAVE HAD SURGERY CHEMO AND RADIOTHERAPY AND I AM NOW ON TAMOXIFEN , I HAVE TO SEE THE PLASTIC SURGEON IN MAY 09 COULD ANYONE ADVICE ME ON HOW THE RECONSTRUCTION SURGERY HAPPENS AND IS IT AS BAD AS A MASTECTOMY , I WOULD BE GREATFUL TO HEAR FROM ANYONE AS THIS IS THE FISRT TIME I HAVE DISCUSSED MY DIAGNOSIS THANKS ANITA

Hi Judy

Thanks for your messages. At least there’s one person out there who understands!

I’ve also been told to give it time but two years I think is a fairly good go.

My PS has said I shouldn’t be feeling like this but that’s not what I wanted to hear. I had thought of trying yoga until I found I couldn’t actually get down on the floor - good job I was at home and not in a class! Like you, I also have a six month appointment.

Sue

Hi Anita

I had a mastectomy and recon as one procedure. I found the archive category on reconstructive surgery on this site very helpful. Lots of information from ladies who have been through it.

Sue

Hi Anita,

The reconstruction surgery is more complex and bigger than the mastectomy itself. Obviously the consultant will discuss the pros and cons with you. I had a mastectomy with an immediate recon, but the surgery went on for 16 hours as there were some problems developed. It was a big trauma for our body to cope. So each case is different. Good luck.

Hi Judy and Sue

I have the tightness you describe - surgeon says it is possibly scar tissue and adhesions, he had no advice what would help in exercise terms but … you guessed… it give it time, its early days (one year on for me from ld flap) and maybe massage would help loosen the adhesions and scar tissue. My physio wont touch me massage wise as she has no idea what to do. I now have an appointment at a cancer support centre with a post mast and post recon trained masseur. Good luck to you both.

Snowangel

Hi Snowangel
Let us know how you get on with the massage.
‘Give it time’ doesn’t help at all, does it. I had mine done in August this year, so I guess I have a lot of waiting to do!
Judy

Dear Snowangel,
Ive gone through a bilateral mastectomy and LD flap reconstruction and I am now left with severe tightness around my chest and I feel I cant breath.Im really stressed out about it. Im really interested in the post mast and post recon trained masseur. Im desperate to try anything.Id be really grateful if you could please advise me on how to go about finding a masseur as I think massage would really help.

Best wishes, Sandyb

Hi
After my disappointing appt with surgeon last week, I popped into the Mac Millan centre which is on the same site as the hospital. No one had mentioned what support they were able to offer, and I couldn’t find anything on the internet, so it was a bit of a ‘shot in the dark’. It turns out that they can do ‘therapeutic massage’, along with other therapies like aromatherapy, counselling etc . My GP said this morning that she would refer me, so I’ll let you know what it’s like when I eventually get it.
Judy

Hi Judy, Sue and others,

I too have not been able to breathe fully deeply since surgery (bilateral mastectomies and recon with expander implants). Surgeon/bcn couldn’t have been less interestered. I have joined a post surgery yoga class which has helped me. The teacher found an article in Yogajournal.com Oct 2008 with a number of poses to help with breast cancer treatment. Most can be done sitting or standing if you can’t lie down comfortably. I couldn’t find the article online and have only a hardcopy - but maybe the poses are documented somewhere (Cormorant / Silly Teapot / Hip Walk / Cat Purrs /Winding Twist / Setttling Self). Concentrating on breathing has also been helpful.

Hope the massage helps - there is a BigC centre on site at my hospital which I found by accident and offers various therapies to cancer patients and their main carer. Why the health professionals don’t mention these things is a mystery…

Best Wishes
Misha

Hi ladies

I went yesterday for the massage at my local cancer support centre and as well as feeling well and truly pampered I do feel that I am not so “crushed” as I usually am… The massuese said that she could feel the adhesions and she felt that she had moved one part of it, I go back once a month for the next few months and see how it works out. I would recommend this to those of you with the tightness/crushing pain. Ask your Breast Care Nurse or surgeon, contact your local cancer support centre if you dont know your local one - google cancer support centre and your home town and I am sure you will find something near you. I will ask my massuese where she trained and get back to you.

take care,
Snowangel