8 REPLIES 8
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Tightness 2 months on after mastectomy

thanks for that advise i guess its normal Marysia x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Marysia I had my mastectomy and lymph nodes removed in March 08 and I still get a burning sensation and tightness from time to time. It seemed to start about 4 weeks after the op. This goes right around the front, down my arm and around my back as well. Ive had a bone scan and that was ok so my onc says it is just due to the operation and may improve with time. So you are not alone. also, when I was on chemo it seemed much worse especially the first couple of days each time. I also find when i have been doing a lot of housework or exercise it is worse. My mum has also had a mastectomy in august 08 and she is reporting the same type of thing so maybe it is normal to feel like that.Hope this helps.
Rachel

Guest user
Not applicable

Is there anyone out there 8 weeks in after mastectomy 2nd chemo on thurs, i have noticed a tightness from under the arm and across the scar and above , into the chestbone and under the armpit very uncomfortable, is this normal can anyone help me out there please. Marysia xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Cat, Bio Oil you can get it from any chemist Boots Superdrug,Marysia.

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm 7 weeks on from a mastectomy and I find I get a tight feeling too, which I put down to healing. I saw my oncologist last week who checked and said everything was fine and dandy. I guess the tightness is normal, but if it doesn't feel right to you, get your breast care nurse to have a look to put your mind at rest.

Where can I get some of this BioOil that's been mentioned? Sounds like a good idea.

Guest user
Not applicable

I've been using vitamin E oil which is working nicely and softening the surface but it did take about 5 months for the tightness to mostly go. It's still there a little bit but doesn't bother me now (7 months since op).

2 months is a little early to lifting heavy things and it's wise to change some habits to avoid heavy lifting wherever possible eg get rollers on those cases 😉

I think you'll probably find it starts feeling a lot better soon. The first 2 months were slow going for me but now I can feel my armpits again and everything.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Marionrae,
thanks for your quick response i went to visit my friend last week and i had to carry 2 suitcases so i am worried i carried too much,how long does it take to feel easier,

Guest user
Not applicable

I had my mastectomy 8th October 07 and yes it did feel very tight. I used BioOil to massage and that really helped but perhaps any cream will help. I think that massage is good. Saying that my scar does still sometimes seem tight and yesreday in the middle of Boots I had a dreadful itch but couldn't scratch it! Not funny at all. Good Luck.

Guest user
Not applicable

Tightness 2 months on after mastectomy

Hi,
I had my mastectomy 2 months ago and recently started to feel a tightness on my scar. Is this normal? I'm assuming it is just healing but wanted to see if anyone else had the same feeling.

thanks
Marysia