Tightness after mastectomy

Hi i am a few years down the line from having a mastectomy without reconstruction . Recently I have had like a muscle strain around my scar it also feels tight.its also tight around my underarm. Could this be scar tissue 6 years later?
Suxiex

I too have tighness. It’s from post surgical scarring and changes.  It was bad after mastectomy, then flared up during chemo and i am now grappling with it after radiotherapy.  I have slowly come to realise that managing the condition of chest after mastectomy is a life long thing. I use a mixture of coconut oil, calendula extract and aloe vera to regularly massage the breast area and i follow the exercises from breast cancer care leaflets, which i do every few days. If i dont gently stretch and massgae the area it tightens up again. Hope you can get some relief Suzie.  But if you haven’t had any troubles with it until now, it may need to be checked over. 

Hi Bobz,

Sounds like you have a classic case of “Cording”. You’re still early in your treatment team. I suffered the same with 2nd mastectomy. Had a word with my BCN, who referred me to a BC Physio. Was soon sorted with some “this may hurt” manual manipulation, some tough but effective stretching exercises for me to regularly do and some advised gentle self massage. 

I would advise go see your BCN, plus there’s a useful leaflet available on “Cording” from BCC

Good luck ladies

Delly xxxxx