Tightness following mastectomy

Hello, I had breast cancer and a mastectomy in May 2015 with immediate partial reconstruction using laparoscopy at Worthing  Hospital.  I did not have an implant but in September had lipomodelling from my thigh to fill the breast.  I am due to have another lipomodelling in the next month.

My problem and query to anyone out there is the tightness I feel which goes from under arm right into and across the breast.  In addition to tightness, which I have read that others have experienced, I have something which I find rather weird.  When I tighten my arm, the reconstructed breast moves across horizontally to the left (it was the left breast that I had the op on).  It is so obvious that you can see it even through my clothes.

would really appreciate to hear from anyone else who has this problem.

My surgeon said ref the tightness that some consultants cut the nerve but he chooses not to as it can cause muscle atrophy.  Thank you.  Julia

Hi Julia, 

I am sorry you are going through this discomfort and I am sure some of our users will be along soon to share their experiences and support.

In the meantime I have moved your post to thesurgery board to give more of our users a chance to respond. You may also wish to look at this relatively old thread which discusses tightness after surgery here.

If you want to talk you can call our support line at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about what you have been experiencing and offer a friendly ear. 

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Digital Community Assistant 

Hi, please have a look at my post to tat4tit today on tight pulling scar- any suggestions? it might help you.
August13:)

I too have tightness in my back as the muscle from my back was used.  It is painful all of the time.  I had a mastectomy last June.  Whenever I push or pull anything my breast moves.  It is the weirdest feeling.  I have very reduces movement now but I am alive and looking forward to the rest of my life xxx

I had immediate reconstruction using implant and mesh in Feb 15. I also have a tightness under left arm(left side mx) which I have now come to accept! I try to do extra stretches when I remember which helps but it doesn’t stop me doing anything apart from heavy lifting! The only time I noticed it seemed to disappear almost completely was when I was on holiday in The Gambia , presumably the heat helped! I’ve not really noticed the boob moving although it does develop different creases etc on different days! Xx