Time from Surgery to Rads (no chemo)

I’m just interested to know what everyone’s average wait was from surgery to radiotherapy. I’ve been told there is a six week minimum wait as so busy. NICE guidelines say it should be 31 days from surgery to Rad. Is this acceptable do you think? Does the longer you wait heighten risk of recurrence? Would be interested in hearing what everyone’s been told in different areas of the country. I’m West Midlands.

Hi C ,I asked that question a couple of weeks ago and the answers came back as average 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.My surgeon told me minum 6 weeks to allow scars to heal properly first and to make sure you have full arm movement so you can hold your arm above head during treatment.

Hi

I had my op 4th March and started rads 13th May, that was last year. 

About 10 weeks and that seemed to be about the norm at our hospital but it does seem to vary from hospital to hospital.

Best wishes

Jaye

Mine started 8 weeks post op, This allowed for scars to heal and gave me a little breather in between.  Told it has no impact on recurrennce. Hope this helps, Shell 

I had surgery on 23 March and rads started on 28 April…Onc was keen to keep to 31 day directive as closely as possible but I am certain had I not been healed sufficiently rads would have been delayed.  I had bilateral therapeutic mammoplasty, pretty major stuff to both breasts and was very well healed in that time and only had one tiny niggling area underneat that broke down during treatment.  I have been very lucky to be textbook so far.

Katie x

I had my op on 27th March and started Rads on 19th May which was 4 weeks from my oncologists app on 21st April, she told me its standard for it to be 4 weeks from then to ensure everything has healed up properly, I had no issues with treatment X

I had my op 11th May and start radiotherapy this week 21st July so that’s about 10 weeks after. I think it depends on how busy the radiotherapy unit is as well as healing time and all hospitals vary. Can’t wait to finally start so I can get back to normal! Not looking forward to the next four and a half weeks of trekking to the hospital but needs to be done!

I had surgery on 1st April and 7th May.  I start my 25 Rads this Thursday, 30th, almost three months after surgery.