Time waiting for results of Biopsy

Hi,

I posted on here a couple of weeks ago having had a mammogram after which the hospital sent me for a ultrasound, I was then given an appointment the following week to have biopsy.

The biopsy was done last Wednesday the 18th March and I have no results as yet.

The thing is I live in Spain and I dont know if the same “rules” apply. Im feeling pretty positive at the moment, but they told me if I get the results inside two weeks it is likely to be BAD news, but if they dont contact me until after two weeks then its likely to be GOOD news! A very strange way of telling me I thought! So now Im sat hoping my phone doesnt ring! yet the waiting is the worst thing as always - but on this occasion waiting seems to give me a better result!

What are peoples experiences of how long it takes to get biopsy results, and are earlier results given only to those with BC, and benign conditions are left until later ??? Confused!

Thanks and take care
Sue xxx

Hi Sue
Think I had about 2 and a half weeks between biopsy and results, but consultant was away for a week. There is probably such a wide variety from one part of the UK, never mind Spain! - to try and give you an idea of what is “normal” would be meaningless.

Just to say, my thoughts are with you, the waiting is hellish, no doubt about it. Keep posting, share your ups and downs, there is always someone to sound off to!

Really quite amazing how many women are going through such similar experiences,
Hope you get results soon, fingers crossed for you,
Take care
LizzyM

Im in North Wales and they seem to be very on the ball here with results.I had my biopsy results within 48hours ! Had surgery 4 weeks after that,would have had it sooner but out of 30 people seen at clinic that week alone 9 of us had cancer…bit scarey. Got all my results 10 days after surgery including my herceptin status as they test the core biopsy already taken for that,but have heard that some women wait months for that result,it’s def a postcode lottery and all depends on how busy they are I expect. Good luck with your results.

Hi Lizzy, Sandra

Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts - the bloomin waiting game is the biggest thing to cope with!

As I said I am trying to stay positive - if I listen to the consultants words that the longer I wait for results the better the outcome it sort of makes me feel better if the phone doesnt ring!

Take care and thanks again, I´ll let you know if I hear anything.
Sue x

I had a mammo and was re-called for an ultra sound scan with biopsies which I had on March 19th, day after your’s.
I don’t expect to hear anything for a while as my letter said it would take 7 to 10 days for the results to come through. The consultant who did my biopsies did tell me at the time that he didn’t think the cancer had returned so I’m feeling ok about it all.
Good luck with your results, hope you get them soon as waiting is just terrible.

Hi Shell

Fingers crossed you get the confirmation of your consultants thoughts, thats good news.

Sometimes I think I just post on here to keep me sane and to fill that horrible void I occasionally get when my mind runs away with me … I end up having to read posts and comment on things as it feels like the only thing I can do, and that I can control. Once I get it out of my system and can start concentrating on normal things again I get back to work!!!

I appreciate your time as always ladies.

Sue x

We all feel like that at some point Sue…you can be doing something quite normal and all of a sudden your thoughts overtake you…so being busy is good. My results were held up after my biopsy because of the Christmas holidays…similar time to yours. But in all honesty, they were the quickest set of results I have had so far. I think its like Sandra said, it depends on the area and hospital! And the waiting is the worst part!
Come on here and let your feelings out, share them and it might help to make things better…
{{{{hugs}}}}and good vibes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
helen x

Hi everyone my mum got breast cancer i took her to doctor waited a week for mammo,four days later had a biopsy,then following week had results,my mum is going into hospital april 6th to have her breast removed.Got to say i have been worried sick but port talbot hospital in south wales have been very supported.I think they have moved fast and im really aware wots going on as im by my mum 100% and i dread to think what i would do without her as i love her millons.Im just praying when shes has the op it havent spread to limfglans.

Hi Donna,
So sorry to hear about your mum, but its so lovely to hear that you are so supportive of her and doing all you can by being with her. Im sure that sometimes the close family, relatives and friends of women with BC feel a lot of similar feelings and worries that the women themselves do. I hope everything goes well for your mum and love to you too.

Sue x

Thankx sue,head work today nurse came to my mums house to have a long chat and prepare her for the op.I was really shocked to here that she wont be able to lift or bend even for about three weeks.My mum is devested over it ive told her im staying with her all day,to make sure she has tidy meals and rests.I know im going to find it hard as ive got a hubby and two young childrem age 16 and 11.Im on the sick at moment to support my mum all the way plus my mum have just lost her dad so we have all been stressed.I keep on telling her im with her 100% but sometimes i feel im not giving her room to breathe,perhaps im over protective but i cant help it.Im very lucky as my hubby is so good aswell and he fully understands,i just hope after the op it goes straight forward,as its worry me sick xx Donna