'Timeout' problem

Hi forum moderators, This is probably a question appropriate for the webmaster of the site. A number of people are losing their posts during writing them or when going to post them. It appears from some cursory canvassing that if the posts are quite long that they are writing, or/ and they are dropping in and out of the ‘view discussion in pop up’ at the same time then that is when the issue is arising. There appears to be some sort of ‘session timeout’ going on, and unfortunately the messages being saved during typing isn’t consistently working. The ‘load’ or ‘discard’ opportunity is piecemeal. As you will appreciate, when people put their heart and soul into typing personal and often emotional responses, to have them simply vanish is really upsetting. Can I ask what the time out function is, when it kicks in and if there is anything that can be done to improve the experience of those who are losing posts ? I have had it happen myself a couple of times, but not on a regular basis. thanks CHarys

Hi Charys,

Thank you for your email. It’s always helpful to know when there are issues with the forum, as we want to make sure the forum is as supportive and user-friendly as possible. I have flagged this issue up with our web developer - which they can hopefully resolve.

Please feel free to contact me with any more queries at moderator@breastcancercare.org.uk

Thanks,

Bonita

Thank You Charys, for placing your post upon this matter, following our recent discussions about it. And, for putting it far more diplomatically than I could have done, due to steam of frustration coming out of my ears, it now having happened on numerous occasions. 

As you say, the “load or discard” function in order to be able to retrieve a post once the “timed out” has kicked in and the  "authentification required . . . . "  message comes up,  is haphazard. If “load or discard” doesn’t come up, I now know that’s it - I’ve lost the message. Terribly frustrating, as I’ve often spent a great deal of time and effort in the composition of it,  coupled with the fact that I don’t touch type so just the typing of, in itself, is a very laboured process.

I have mentioned the problem in  a number of frustrated emails to the moderators, asking if it could be possibly be raised at any Forum Board discussions and hopefully addressed.

Many Thanks for your prompt response Bonita

Delly 

Hi Bonita

To get back to you with the “Timing Out” issues. I seem to be the one who’s mostly experienced, and I do tend to witter on a bit in my posts.

I did a trial yesterday, and the “Timing Out” takes about 1 1/2 hrs to kick in. I can’t say when I FIRST noticed it, but I did send an email to the moderators Anna and Lizzie, and others since. I’ve lost long Private Emails too.

When the Pink  “Authentification Required” strip appears, I click back onto the thread and then immediately press reply to bring up the reply box again.

If the “Load or Discard” comes up, I press “Load” and can retrieve the post and go “Phew”!!!

But. . . . the “Load or Discard” DOESN’T always come up and whatever I’ve then tried hasn’t/doesn’t work. So it’s then lost forever and that’s when steam of frustration comes out my ears!!

So it’s more an issue with the haphazardness of the “Load or Discard” that’s the main problem.

Hope this has made things clearer and helps Bonita.

Thanks ever so much for your attention and prompt response. Have a lovely Xmas and New Year to all of you. 

Delly :smileyvery-happy: xxx 

Hi all,

Happy New Year!

Just an update on the timeout issue - it’s still being investigated, but I’ll keep you updated when I hear anything. I hope this issue hasn’t been causing you too much bother this year, but if you have any more questions please feel free to email me at moderator@breastcancercare.org.uk

All the best,

Bonita

Hi all,

The web developers have resolved the timeout issue but please let me know if problems still occur.

Delly, I’m still awaiting a response on someone you can talk to, to answer your questions about the forum. I will email you all the details as soon as I receive them.

Best wishes,

Bonita