Timing Advice

Hi Ladies

I had lumpectomy on 30th October, saw breast surgeon for results on 8th Nov, oncologist on 13th I now have my planning for rads on 17th.

The question I hope you helpful ladies can answer is how long after planning do you start rads?

I have been through treatment 11 years ago but needed chemo then plus things have changed in the 11 years between.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Sister

Sorry you’re back in this club after 11 years, but looks like they caught it early and sounds like you won’t need chemo this time?

Glad you’ve got everything sorted so quickly - great rate of progress from lumpectomy to planning meeting! I think it was about 2 weeks from planning to rads for me - i.e. about 6 weeks from lumpectomy - but a lot depends on how well healed you are from the lumpectomy - some people wait a bit longer from surgery if not fully healed, some might be a bit sooner. All the best with it. xxx

Hi sister, sorry to hear you’re returning 11 years on - but at least it would appear it has been caught in its very early days.

In the health authority where I live - it’s at least 2 weeks between the planning appointment and the first rads session.  During your appointment with onc on 13th I assume they looked at your scar.  If they were worred about healing I don’t think they would have referred you for your planning appointment yet.  

Saying that, if the radiotherapist thinks there’s any problems they will refer you back to onc.

sister

Hello and welcome, sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed again but sounds like everything has been caught at an early stage which is good.

I started my rads 3 weeks after my planning appointment so started just before Xmas last year, so i think it is generaly about 2/3 weeks from the planning apt to starting.  How many sessions are you having?

I will be starting a December 2017 Radiotherapy thread at the end of the month but it might help you as well to pop into the current November one as there are ladies who are currently going through rads who will be able to support you.

The main things with rads is to moisturise at least twice a day, drink plenty of fluid as this helps with the dehydration effects from the rads which can cause fatigue they recommend 2 litres a day, and also be kind to yourself and get plenty of rest, your body will let you know when it needs it.

Do you have far to travel to the hospital as this toing and froing can take it out of you as well so be prepared to ask for help from family and friends when you need it.

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Hi

Thanks for your answers with a bit of luck I might get finished for Christmas then. I am to have 15 sessions but no boosters, I have a 75 mile round trip everyday to Clatterbridge which is a drag but not as bad as a some ladies on here.

I don’t have the fear of the unknown this time but it’s still difficult to deal with, last time I had lumpectomy, mastectomy, chemo, rads, Tamoxifen and reconstruction (18th months after 1st diagnosis), it was lobular cancer. This time its ductal cancer in the other breast so they’re not connected just unlucky for me.

Good luck to all ladies going through this but you can beat it.

Julie