Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips before starting Chemo

6 REPLIES 6
Surreyhillsgirl

Re: Tips before starting Chemo

Hi Aine,

Wow, thanks for all the info - it's so kind of you to share your experience  and what worked for you. I will definitely look into hats in Primark and am going to get an NHS wig as a pre-emotive measure in case I lose my hair, which I guess I will. The hand sanitizer and silk pillowcase are good ideas, I already use a fluoride toothpaste. Keeping a notebook to note down side effects etc sounds a good idea too. I was doing regular Pilates and aquarobics before my diagnosis and though I've been unable to do the aquarobics since my operation I'm keen to get back into Pilates at my hospitals Macmillan centre. I'm so grateful you took the trouble to post the reply. Best wishes for your continued recovery. Gill x

Aine

Hi there...good luck starting chemo on the 12th April....you wanted any tips...here I go....

Diary - get a notebook and keep a diary cos you wont remember details unless you write them down.  It was an enormous help in keeping track of reactions to treatment and planning any changes in medication.

Hats - I think the chemo hats on line are horrible.  I eventually went to Primark and bought 10 hats for the sum of £20.  I wore the fine ones in bed and the trendy bobble ones in public.  And no-one would notice.

Hair - you will find it very tough losing your hair - it was the only time I actually cried!  But there are great online sites to help you get a wig or hat wig...Heathers Hair (a free charity) and Headcovers.com. (I bought a great one for £60.  Exactly like my own hair would have been)

I got a great wig from the wig supplier you get through the NHS.  It has a wide parting where you can see a bit of scalp and looks soo real.  I love it.

Sanitiser - I bought lots - everyone coming into my house had to wash their hands first.  You are very prone to catching any infections and this stopped me catching any.

Toothpaste - get a flouride one

Pillowcase - get a silk one!  Will slow down hair loss cos will not catch hairs on it during the night.

Appetite - you may suffer from nausea like I did  if so you will probably lose a lot of weight (Im delighted now!) so you need to try to eat small meals every 2 hours.  I found tomato soup and tea and biscuits were great.  

Tell your medical team about all your side effects - they should be able to help and maybe alter your medication  Dont suffer in silence - they really do want to help

Try to get out and walk - it will be hard to force yourself to do this but your body needs to keep strong.

Everyone has a different story to tell about their chemo treatment.  Some have bad nausea some lucky ones have none.  No matter what your own experience is the medical team can help you with problems.

This forum is a godsend - keep on the April monthly thread and chat to others going through the same thing.  You will get a lot of tips and support.

I went to yoga and pilates in my local Mcmillan centre attached to my hospital - it was fantastic to mix with ladies who knew exactly what I had to deal with and I still go!  It is great crack actually and it has helped me get stronger.

Good luck.  Think of it as a good thing - it is zapping all those cancer cells and making you well again.  It will be a tough few months but it will be over some day and you will be better.

I am 8 weeks post chemo and cant believe it is actually over and I am feeling soooo good.

Aine x

Surreyhillsgirl

Hi Bluash, yes I will do. Thanks. It's nice to know there are others going through the same thing, though obviously you wish no one had cancer. Best wishes. Gill

Surreyhillsgirl

Hello Argymargy, thanks so much for your reply, I'll remember that. All the best to you too. Gill

blueash
Community Champion

Hello make sure you join the April starters thread so that you can give and get support from people at a similar stage. Don't worry - it is not nearly as bad as you think it will be xxx

Argymargy

Hi there Surrey.  I'm not much further ahead than you - only had one round of FEC so far.  My tip would be to remember that everyone responds slightly differently, so perhaps when folks say to you "you'll feel this on day 3 and that on day 8", take it with a pinch of salt.  You will only know how you react when it happens to you.  Good luck.

Surreyhillsgirl

Tips before starting Chemo

Hello,

I have just been given a date for starting Chemotherapy, two weeks today on 12th April. I am a little apprehensive naturally and would like to be in touch with others who are facing the same. Any tips or advice would be welcome. Thanks.