Tips for Energy?

Hi anyone have any tips to help with energy?
I find until day 11-12 after treatment I can’t do what I normally do and have to be ‘resting’. I make the most of the 3rd week by doing everything including going back to work that week, which is great.
I thought maybe it was in my head and when my brother and his wife came over we went out (I did feel ok) but passed out on them and eventually ended up at hosp but all ok thankfully, its just the chemo doing its thing. Any tips greatly appreciated.
Thanks Spacehopper x

Hi Spacehopper
You don’t say where you are in your chemo cycle.
I’ve now had 6 of 7 and am on FEC-T. I found the first 3 I got most of my energy back by third week, but the last 3 I’ve got very low energy even 3rd week. I think it’s normal for chemo to take its toll as you go through the treatments, and you just get more and more tired. I went back to work in between treatments up to no 4, but then found it too much and have been signed off until chemo finishes.
The only thing to do is to take it easy and try not to do too much, even if you think you feel reasonably energetic. I don’t always follow this advice, but usually regret it if I do too much!
Best wishes
Jane

Its definitely the chemo. I had chemo from Nov 2010 until March 2011. I had 8 sessions (4 x AC and 4 x Taxol) but had them 2 weeks apart, not 3 and my onc told me straight from the beginning that I would not be able to do much at all. And she was right. Because I was having it every 2 weeks I didn’t have the luxury of feeling better during the 3rd and as the effects were cumulative by the end I was practically on the floor. Once finished though the effects do wear off quickly - within a month I was up and about - not exactly raring to go, but some sort of normality. I didn’t go back to work until August however, after surgery and rads. The only thing to do is go with the flow.

Hi Jane,
Thank you its reassuring to know you had the same. I’ve just had my 2nd round (of 6) due my 3rd round 14th May. You kind of convince yourself you’re just being lazy and need to get on with it, surely there is something you can take etc., etc. I think we’re all used to that. When really for the sake of a few months I need to go with the flow. Its also good to know you’re further along and how you’ve found it.
Thank you, Vanessa x

Hi SamLee,
Thank you, its always good to know it is just what is supposed to happen. That is what I love about this site. When you live on your own you can log on and be surrounded by friends with great advice who know exactly what you’re going through. Thank you.
Vanessa x

What you are thinking is normal. You do think to yourself that you just need to pull yourself together. But do you know what, sometimes you just have to go with the flow. When I was going through chemo my husband’s secretary was going through it at the same time and she worked throughout and she couldn’t understand why I wasn’t. That’s the trouble sometimes. Some people lump everyone having chemo together and the truth of the matter is that everyone is different. So be kind to yourself.

Hi spacehopper, I remember you from jan surgery buddies, seems like another life time already doesn’t it?

I too would like recipe for more energy!!! You sound just like I feel, fed up of having no energy and wishing for your old self back which hopefully is around the corner.

Im on day 10 of chemo no. 4 (tax) ive I managed like you to carry on working reduced hours and my boss has been so great. Im finding it tougher each chemo. For me personally I need to try to carry on cos 1) for the money, 2) I like going in and having to think about something else other than the C word, 3) I feel proud and better about myself by pushing my boundaries and 4) there’s only so much daytime tv a girl can put up with :slight_smile:

I agree with samlee each and every one of us is so so different on this journey and you do what makes you happy

Take care of yourself big hugs xxx

Hi

It’s only by reading and contributing to these forums that i have understood how chemo effects us all so differently.

I worked with a lady who last year had 6 x FEC and she was absolutely exhausted from the first cycle. Such was her fatigue, she hadn’t the energy to even enjoy reading, make a cup of tea or anything.

I am now having the same treatment. But find that from day 9/10 it’s as though i am wired into the national grid - i am full of energy.

I follow The Rainbow Diet (see cancer active website) and feel this is making a real difference. Another lady on the same thread as me (april 2012) is also following it and she too has lots of energy.

Now things may of course change for me as i get further down the road as after the chemo i will have 18 cycles of herceptin.

But thats the nature of the whole beastie isn’t it? Just when we think we know what to expect, it all changes again.

Much love
Pixie xx

Hi ya,
SamLee you’re so right, the word cancer means so many different things and chemo means a whole range of treatment. We’re all individuals and unique we act that way…so…its going to be a simillar but whole different experience for each of us thank you for reminding me. It helps to be with like minded people x

Debster! yes its me and you’re right it feels a lifetime away. How are you I look in on the March ladies to keep up with how they’re doing as you’re all ahead. I started mine on 2nd April and my 3rd round is next Monday, I’ll be half way through. Same as you I need to carry on for the money and as importantly the social side not about the cancer or chemo and it does make you feel great. It reminds you life goes on and you need to live it when you can

Pesterpixie! Thank you I’ll be looking it up now. I’m always looking, there’s got to be something we’ve just not found it yet is one of my motto’s. Thank you x I’m ER+ but Herceptin negative so once the chemo finishes I’ll be on radio daily for 3wks and then tablets for the 5yrs (although they may change it to 7).

I’m on week 3 now so feeling so much better and enjoying being at work - I’m keeping a diary and looking back week 2 is the hardest week, I put myself under pressure to be ‘better’ and its only me and I need to read my diary! Thank you lovely ladies, keep well I’m off to check out the Rainbow diet xxxx

Hi spacehopper, I’m doing great thanks for asking, like everyone a bit tired but now I know what it’s like to feel 90!

Monday you say and your half way through, whooooppppeee and well done you. Take care of yourself and rest or party when required :wink:

I’m off too to investigate the rainbow diet xxx