Tissue Expander Removal

I was diagnosed with DCIS in June 2014 and had a mastectamy with immediate reconstruction in July. Beginning of September I noticed a red mark on the side of my reconstructed breast and have since been seeing my consultant every few weeks regarding this, and having saline removed from the tissue expander to take the pressure off my skin. Well Saturday this week the tissue expander finally broke through my skin, which is really frustrating as I was due for surgery yesterday to remove the expander and exchange it for my final implant (if the skin had only held for a few more days). My tissue expander was removed Monday evening and I have been told I need to let everything heal for 2/3 months and then start the process all over again. I am seeing my breast care nurse tomorrow to have the dressing removed and my consultant has already pre warned me it will not look pretty and I will not like him very much when I see what remains as my skin has been stretched for the last 3 months. Anyone else had a similar experience.

Hi TLC
Welcome to the BCC forums, along with the support you will find here our helpliners are on hand with further practical and emotional support so please feel free to call. Lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

You may wish to also post in the reconstruction threads where users who have had similar experiences may be looking :

Click on the surgery tab via this link

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Going-through-treatment/ct-p/going_through_treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC