cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tissue expanders

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Tissue expanders

Hi ladies

Sorry to hear that you are uncomfortable. I had single mx with implant reconstruction in sept 14. Unfortunately got infected so removed in Dec 14. In between chemo and rads I had an expander which was the replaced a year later (April 16) for permanent implant.

I must admit that I haven't found any of them particularly uncomfortable (or maybe my memory is failing!) The expander was half filled when it went in, then topped up in one go because I needed to start rads and I'd had more time off treatment than my once wanted.

I agree the port was very uncomfortable and when the implant was fully expanded it was tight but I didn't find it a problem.

Now I've got the replacement it is find. Sometimes itchy which is frustrating as I have limited feeling so really difficult to scratch! The only time I get real pain is a night when I wake up lying on my front, then it is very sore.

Hang in there ladies it should settle down. X

Hi all, 5 weeks today post mx with immediate reconstruction. I have had a expander implant and find it still to be so uncomfortable! Does the sharp, hot pains go? I can feel the edges of the implant and the port is huge sitting on my ribs. The tightness feeling is getting less but still happens a lot. When does this stop? I know I should be grateful that they caught and removed but this uncomfortable unpredictable pain is getting me down.
Is there light soon or do I need to agree to have a permanent implant to stop this?
Hope your all doing well. ๐Ÿ˜„

Rosie are the teardrop silicone implants more comfortable?

Hi I had to have tissue expanders first as I was having rads. They were uncomfortable and the port either side felt like a marble I felt like the princess and the pea after a nights sleep!๐Ÿ˜ฎ
I didn't work through this stage!

Thanks very much for this. Yes, I get the cold drink effect too! Hoping and praying that the permanent implants won't feel as bad as what I've got now...

xx

Hi Marie, I've written a long reply on your other thread. I've got an expander, which was planned as boob too big to put implant straight in. It is painful at the top where I have ridgy folds and the port on ribs is very sore. I could put up with this if my boob could just find an exit for all the lymph fluid which makes it huge and solid.
An odd thing - when I drink something cold I can feel it in my breast. Also with hot but less obvious. Do you get this?

Tissue expanders

I had a nipple-sparing double mastectomy two weeks ago and to my surprise woke up with tissue expanders rather than the permanent implants the surgeon had told me he would use (having explicitly told me that I would not need expanders). He told me after the op that he had chosen the expanders because the blood supply to my skin and nipples was not as good as expected after my chemo.

Apart from the blow of having another round of surgery to look forward to, I find the tissue expanders incredibly uncomfortable: the ports press on my ribs, and upper ridges ache almost constantly. Is this normal? Will it settle? I find it hard to imagine that I can go back to work in this state. Would really like to hear from women who have experienced something similar. Thank you.