Tissue expanders

Hi all

I had a double mastectomy on Friday and expected to come out of surgery with implants. I woke to find that “my skin was too thin” so I have tissue expanders instead with implants now not planned for 6 months. It was quite a disappointment but I’m learning to focus on the good news that the lump has gone but as I wasn’t expecting this, I hadn’t educated myself on what it was all about.

Is anyone going through the same and can let me know how it’s going?

Thanks

Tina 

Hi Tina50, 

I am sorry you are going through this difficult time and I am sure some of our users will be along to show their support.

In the meantime please do call ourhelplineat 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about the surgery and implants and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below.

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Hi Tina,

I can imagine your disappointment.  I had a failed tram flap followed by a LD flap and then finally tissue expander in December.  I had 100ml fills every 3 weeks till I reached 800ml, unfortunately I got an infection a couple of months ago so they had to replaced the tissue expander with a partially filled expander (500ml).  I have just had a 100ml fill last week bringing me up to 600ml.  The fills are quick and do not hurt. Although the expander is hard, it is not uncomfortable and has done a good job of stretching the skin.  Initially I was told once the expander had stretched the skin it would be replaced with a implant (lighter & softer) but now I’m told that they will just remove the port and keep the expander in. It’s great watching the boob get bigger as they are injecting the saline! Just ask if there is anything else you would like to know x