Tissue expansion and symmetry

Hi

Today I have my first expansion 6 weeks after my mx with reconstruction following a diagnosis of a large area of DCIS. I was picked up in the pilot screening women from ages 47 to 50 so I am feeling very fortunate as I have avoided the need for further treatment. The expansion was not even vaguely painful and it  has left me feeling only very slightly tight, but nothing like the uncomfortable feelings I had from fluid build up a few weeks ago. 

The surgeon started to broach the subject of the final size and symmetry of my reconstructed breast and my thoughts about the other breast. One option is to put a very small implant in my good breast to match the shapes. I am currently a B cup.so I am not expecting to need many expansions! My main priority is to keep normal sensation in the good breast rather than worrying about symmetry. I am keen to hear

what decisions others have made and what sensation they now have in the Breast unaffected by their mx. 

Hi Kate48.

Silicon implants are not a one stop, totally problem free procedure.

I had a small one to replace size after a wle years ago so it is in my ‘bashed about’ boob.
It’s been in 8 years and is now playing up and I would like it removed.

I can certainly understand the desire for the best sysmetry (which is why I had an implant) and I was offered ‘any size you like… we can enhance both sides to what ever you like’ but couldn’t entertain the thought of having my good, my ‘best’ boob operated on.
And silicon, done well, looks good but doesn’t feel anything like natural to me or my fella  :wink: If you want to keep normal sensations in your good breast tell the surgeon to leave it well alone.

I hope everything goes well.
J

I am currently making the decision about mx single or bilateral and had thought I would go with the double as a I would like them to be the same but now not sure as don’t want to lose the sensation in my good one. I thought that it would not be the case but maybe I am mistaken? I am a bit confused and having met with the surgeon once I probably need another meeting. Any advise would be appreciated x

Good to read about your experiences ladies. I am going to have an expander implant op in the next couple of weeks, delayed recon following mx in Aug 13. Any suggestions for what to expect after surgery would be much appreciated. xx

I had mx with immediate implant recon in September. Unfortunately it got infected so removed in December. I had expander put in in may after chemo finished. It was filled up in one sitting 10 days ago as I had my rad planning last Monday! Rads start Wednesday 1st, then will have expander replaced in the future. Like you ladies I do wonder whether to mess with droopy - it would be nice to be even but if it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it! Watch this space.

Kate, well done you for making a decision! I’m not sure what to do because of infection with my original implant. I’m happy enough with Dolly although she’s perter and bigger than Droopy!! Need to see what radiotherapy does to her - start Wednesday. I’d like to replace with silicon and have an uplift but let’s wait and see. Keep in touch with your progress, guess I’m several months behind you?

Hi Kate, I definitely want sisters lol,!!! and rebeldog im 5 days into 15 rads and determirned to get a matching pair after!!

<Empty imported post>