cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Drink Or Not to Drink!

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: To Drink Or Not to Drink!

Interesting reading on Breast Cancer Recurrence and alcohol, published in 2010 in the US.
http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/28/29/4410.full.pdf

Guest user
Not applicable

Pressed submit before I meant to,sorry.
Bc cannot be self inflicted how awful to hear that. I have never smoked, didn't drink much, a few glasses of wine a week, and before dx was super fit working out 3 times a week. Not overweight etc etc.
So go figure 8-(

Guest user
Not applicable

I a,
M enjoying a glass of wine as I type. My first for quite a few weeks. And why not?!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies
I've fallen out big style with my son because as he visited me in hospital for a non related bc issue I was told that all my problems were self inflicted and he had no sympathy with me. Yes I have drunk wine, occassionally far too much. But I've also worked full time in a very stressful job for 25 years, had a major trauma at work that very few people have had to endure and picked up the role of bread winner when my husband decided work was making him ill.
My guilt as you can imagine knows no boundries, afterall I could have saved my son all the worry and the stress. Did I say he's been to Afghanistan now eight times with his job in the last six years.
Profile name sort of gives it away.
If it was all down to alcohol the many non drinkers of the world, for whatever reason, would be bc free.
I just think when you look for your keys you find all sorts of stuff you wern't looking for and sometimes you find your keys.
Sorry this is a bit of a rant.
So everything in moderation
Regards
Chinook xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Absolutely agreed RevCat. We will each tread our own line on this one but as a statistician in the real world, can I just say it really is complicated.

If anyone is interested in that side of things the complications are:

There is a multivariate relationship between bc and its many causes (that is the different factors interact with each other as well as being risks in their own right so alcohol and stress may both be risk factors for bc, but if a glass of wine brings down your stress levels it might actually minimise the effect of something else whilst being a risk factor in itself). Excuse the explanation, probably clear as mud...

Also, we each respond differently to each of the risk factors, because we are different in age, weight, genetics, history etc
On an entirely unrelated medical issue when I had a pregnancy condition a medical doctor once said to me, knowing my background, it isn't as simple as finding that something has a statistical relationship ie: this condition can cause stillbirths, but that I would need to have a statistically valid number of children myself (50!!) before anyone could say whether I as an individual, not a sample of the population, would react to that condition in a particular way.

Then each of the risk factors might interact with other risk factors differently in different ones of us who respond differently to those combinations and so it goes on building levels of statistical complexity.

I will admit that, whether or not well intended, some of the over-simplistic reporting of research into triggers of bc winds me up as it makes it sound as simple as "you must not do x" or "y causes bc" but what has actually been found is way more complicated and hedged with many more ifs and buts than that.

End of stats 101 lecture...

When I asked my lovely surgeon whether I should stop drinking caffeine, or alcohol or whether the fact that my mum had bc before a certain age or I once dropped a plank on exactly the place I got my bc had contributed to my getting it, he replied that it was quite likely also just chance that I was the one in seven who got this and that, whilst it may well help to cut out dairy, alcohol or whatever, if this all added to my stress levels, it might be doing me more harm than good.

So, a statistical explanation for the "all things in moderation" approach which I tend to take but also, if others find that cutting out something or things which are stated to be a risk factor helps them to feel that they have some control over bc then it may help them too.

Sadly, it isn't a simple illness, there are no simple answers and so we each have to do what feels right and best for us xx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi
if we belive everything we hear and read we wouldnt do anything
i am a great believer in (right or wrong ) we all have some form of cancer lurking we just need something to trigger it
all you read these days is this is bad for you that is bad for you and yet generations have done it for years breast milk for instance is one of the latest ! my personal thing is you get one chance of life enjoy it while you can just do things in moderation and what will be will be not matter what !
i drink in moderation friday evening and sunday evening i never get colds bugs etc and yet I got a rare breast cancer ?
liz

RevCat

Like lbx I am TT and have/had breast cancer... the link just isn't that simple! My onc and BCN from day one said 'everything in moderation' and included alcohol in what they referred to. If you enjoy a glass of wine or lager or whatever, then have one... just don't go overboard. And don't spend life being guilty about what you can't change, just move forward making the best calls for you here and now.

stressy_messy

This is from the CRUK website

"Oestrogen and hormones

Alcohol can increase the levels of some hormones, such as oestrogen, testosterone and insulin. Unusually high levels of oestrogen increase the risk of breast cancer"

melxx

lbx157

I have never drunk alcohol & I have had BC twice so don't believe all you read!

lbx157

sarahlousie

I always assumed it was because of the high sugars in alcohol and because cancer loves sugar.

Sarahlousie xx

LancsLass

To Drink Or Not to Drink!

I am a little sick and tired of reading all the reasoning behind bc, I have just seen the latest NHS ad with regard to alcohol where they specifically mention that drinking more that 2 glasses of wine can increase chances of getting bc

I do understand that there are factors that can contribute to any illness but I always feel so blimin guilty when I read these things.

Can anyone clarify once and for all the reason why drink is linked to bc, I have always assumed that it was do to with putting weight on and the link then to oestrogen?
x