71.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To drain or not to drain (a seroma), that is the question?

22 REPLIES 22
Jo_W

Re: To drain or not to drain (a seroma), that is the question?

Did you have to have the implant removed because of problems ? I had a drain in for 6 days and although uncomfortable at least it helps to stop fluid building where it shouldn't.
I can't see mine stopping building up for a long time yet as it was 360 mls in the past week and I can't see how the body can absorb that much fluid on its own. I don't have that much spare skin!! X

jillybee

I have drain in,had implant removed 9th Jan,healed,then leaking thru wound site.drained about 20 Mls in 2 days,hoping it will be removed tomorrow.
Jo_W

Hi, I keep hoping my body will do that but think it is just building up too quickly at the moment. Glad yours is resolving. Let me know re chemo date when u know. What regime will you be on? Do you know? I'm on taxotere. All the best xx

rosie112

Hi jo, went for bone scan results today and they said there was only a bit of fluid and my body would absorb it. It might worth asking why there is still some to drain. I see Onc next week and then think I may start chemo.  Take care and let me know what happens.  Big hugs  Suzanne    xxxxx

Jo_W

Hi Suzanne, how are things going? I'm still having seroma problems- went yesterday and the nurse got 36o mls . That was one weeks worth. I'm now 8 weeks post surgery but think the chemo has made it worse. X

Jo_W

Best of luck for Thursday 's scan. Lots of gentle stretching is best for cording I've been told. I've also been massaging the cords with aloe Vera gel.
My 'boob' continues to grow but is bearable so will try and put off getting it drained a bit longer if I can.
Wishing you a good week ahead. Jo xx

rosie112

Thanks Jo, the nurse was going to take my drain out yesterday(sat) but it had to much fluid in it so defo out tomorrow as they said not to leave it any longer because of infection. I have my bone scan on Thursday and  she said she would book me in ti have it drained by needle same day. Have cording under my arm now and very sore if I don't massage it.  Thanks for help and advice. Love to all suzanne   xxxxx

Jo_W

Hi
I'm really not sure where all the fluid comes from. My BCN said it is like blister fluid. A bit is good for healing but when it gets like a tight painful drum, then it's hard to live with. Mine seems to be growing slowly but nobody has said not to drain it while having chemo. Our beast care centre is in another hospital to the oncology service so I don't know how much they communicate this stuff.
I had FEC 4 years ago and now am having 'just' taxotere. So far things are going ok. Just v red in the face and funny taste in my mouth.
Have a reasonable weekend if you can girls. It is nice to hear from others going through similar things at the same time- I think it does help to link up.
Take care Jo xx

rosie112

Hi, I have mx and lymph node clearance and am just waiting for the nurse to come and take my drain out from my lymph node area. The chest drain 'twas taken out on day 2 before I came home. The drain has been in two weeks yesterday with the nurse coming every other day to check and change it. Is seroma from boob or lymph or both? Love Suzanne xxxx
rustywoof

Are you feeling better today? yes i had the clearance too..now that its at 150 i think they will start next week...But said they wont drain anymore while on treatment? all i kow is fec-t 3 of each i think. what about you?
Jo_W

I had cannula in wrist. My seroma was awful last week after leaving for a week and a half and drained a whopping 450 mls. Might be slowing down now and not as uncomfortable . It is a pain though. Did you have lymph node clearance ? My BCN said that chemo needs to start within 12 weeks of surgery to be effective but I've not heard that from anywhere else.
When might you start chemo and do you know the regime yet? Jo x

rustywoof

I dont know about the cap.......Im so confused weather to just shave my hair off completely or just cropped short. Ive had 3 shorter hair styles since dec..now a short bob going for the next one sat to close crop???? Is the canunula left in, I heard you can either have it in the hand or on the chest????...seroma is full I feel it so tight...sorry to hear relationship woes but may bring you close again????if that's what you want that is???
I dont know about you but Ive never seen soo much cancer on the media tv newspapers even soaps, I feel its following me ;0) I guess I just have a heightened sense now......Have a good day.....x
Jo_W

Cold cap gives a bit of brain freeze (are you trying this?). They couldn't get cannula in for ages which was a bit sore but no, not painful going in. Meds all working so far. No sickness,just very very red!
I have a husband but we were on the verge of parting when I was Diagnosed . We are pulling together now and things ok ish. I have 2 daughters age 18 and 15. Eldest is going travelling in April and then uni in sept. It's lovely to have her at home at the moment and will miss her so much but want her to go. Youngest is coping reasonably but has a few wobbles every now and again ( but prob isn't too dissimilar to other teens in that).
It must be hard for you to be apart from your partner at this time, glad he is coming home.
How's your seroma doing? Tax makes you more susceptible to swelling so expect mine to keep growing. Prob will go back on Tuesday .
Feeling a bit tired now is hope I sleep a bit. Awful night last night due to taking steroids too late and keeping me wired till 2 am!
Best of luck my friend. Xx

rustywoof

Glad to hear you got through......is it painfull at all? the sickness comes after I guess but the drugs helped? Do you have a husband, partner children you live with?. I live alone, my partner is based overseas although coming for my first treatment, ....I do have friends here though.

Anyway fighting spirit sleep well.....Rustywoof X

Jo_W

Just back from first chemo and so far so ok . I did get v sick on FEC but ask for all anti sickness meds you can. Tax causes more joint and muscle aches on around day 3 apparently but I'll let you know in due course no doubt.
A fighting spirit is what you need to get you through . You will get there- one session at a time, one day at a time. Take care xx

rustywoof

wow ther really are different approaches, they last drained on monday 150ml so going down last week 200

but go back to oncol monday to see if we can go ahead??? My treatment is fec-t. I just want to start it now although nervous of my reaction to it. I went to my first counceling yesterday which was helpful she mentioned to try and be positive and excepting about the chemo and not scared like its the enemy....Ive never been sick before so I dont know what to expect....but Im now refferring it as my treatment.:0)

All the best for your treatment today.....

rustywoof

Jo_W

Hiya. Yes due to start tax tomorrow afternoon:). When I found out on Tuesday that I was starting, I made an appt to see the BCN in the pm and she drained it again. 250mls. It is the 7th time and doesn't seem to be slowing down much. They say they will prob still need to drain it even during chemo. They do it Tuesday and fri here so I guess I will most likely go next tues. How about you? Any news on your start date? Are you having tax? Jo xx

rustywoof

hi jo
Are your plans to have treatment now?
Jo_W

Hi, thanks for your replies. It is obviously an area of controversy . For now I will press on with leaving it but as it grows, it gets more uncomfortable. Will hope it starts to resolve soon. Jo

rustywoof

Hi I'm new to this site and to see someone in the same boat as me. I had same surgery mid dec...sorry I have no advise... and been back 4 times to have the seroma drained and still building up.....Its actually delaying my chemo which is frustrating and nerve wracking too. I go once a week it is getting less but as I get more sensation back it feels so tight like a big tight plaster with a blister inside... its now about 200ml.
supertrouper

I had a mastectomy and lymph node clearance just before christmas 2011. I too had a seroma but never had it drained as my BCN said that eventually the body absorbs the fluid - and it did. There is always the risk of infection every time you have it drained. If it was me, I would leave it be. x

jayney234

Hi I have had the same problem. It had to be drained whilst I was having Radiotherapy but BCN wants to leave it now and see if it dissipates. After 3 weeks of not draining it is tight and irritating - feels like a cushion against my arm. Seeing Onc today so will see what she suggests.
Jo_W

To drain or not to drain (a seroma), that is the question?

I had a mastectomy and lymph node clearance on Christmas Eve. I had a drain in for 6 days. Since then I've had to go back to get the collecting fluid drained on 5 occasions. Each time a considerable amount of fluid is drained but it keeps building up again within a day or so. I saw a new oncologist 6 days ago who said it was better not to have it drained but to let the body reabsorb the fluid. I now have a very full and increasingly tight 'boob' (a good b cup at least). Does anyone have any experience as to whether if you leave these swellings alone instead of periodic draining , that it does stop the fluid eventually from building up and get reabsorbed?
Any advice would be gratefully received. Cheers Jo