To work or .......?

Hi my name is Alison and I was diagnosed with BC and liver mets in July 2013. Had course of docetaxel and now on mix of zoladex and letrozole. Still feeling really rough and mobility really variable on day to day basis. Mac advisor sorted out all my benefits but feel really guilty on good days and then worried that I would never cope with teaching a class on bad days. I know it is early days for side effects of ht to get sorted.  My GP is very supportive and was amazed that I was even thinking about work at the moment but I am still worried. What do others do? Is it very much an individual decision based on circumstances? Sorry for long ramble!:smileyhappy:

Alison x

Hi Alison
Welcome to the BCC forums where you will find support from your fellow users, in addition our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2

You may find further secondary support from BCC helpful such as ‘Live chat’ and you can read about these here:

breastcancercare.org.uk/secondaries

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Alison. I agree that it’s an individual choice. For me, at present, it’s very important to carryon working as normally as possible. I’m a teacher too, but centrally managed and therefore non class based. My managers have been fantastic and allowed me to work flexibly. I organise my own time which makes it easier to accommodate not so good days and appointments - I’m having iv chemo at present. If it is your preference to continue to work I hope that your school are supportive and can be creative to enable it to happen. Please do feel free to ask me questions. Take care and good luck with your decision. Steph xxxx

Hi there, I was just agreeing with all the posts here, (lots of us worked in Education!) I would add, for me, I gave up work in the end but it was how I was coping mentally as well as the physical problems that made me decide. Is there a half way point you could try first, part time over full time? Best wishes.

Hey alison
I feel exactly the same
Was diagnosed on 31st dec 2012 and found out in feb i had liver mets
I had docetaxel and herceptin and radio and again my fatigue is variable on a day to day basis
If you get dla you can still work and receive it
Also you can work and earn up to £90 a week and still get all your benefits.
Plus you may be eligible for working tax credits

I chose to go back to work and started begining of march 2014.
I asked straight away wen i could work again as since the age of 15 ive worked and although their are liads of things i could do instead of working like gym volunteer it just didnt motivate me so work was best option.

Plus it bought back a sense of normality for me.

We dont how much time we have so for me living life to best and most normal way i can is how i get through the crap times.

Im very fortunate i have an excellent support group at my job.

That is really important and ur employer should support you.

Good luck with the job decision

Connie x