cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toe nail

5 REPLIES 5
jannie13

Re: Toe nail

I agree with donna i covered them with plaster to stop lifting and ends getting banged especially finger nails. Also clipped back any loose nail which helped loads.
SamanthaL

Thanks, I'll keep them covered for now then!
Great advice
Donnaandfamily

Hi Sam

I lost my toe and finger nails some time after I had finished chemo. They lifted at the base..... but the nail had grown underneath so it was not all flesh when it came off. It was about half way up the bed ...they then grew as they normally do...which is quite quickly.

Some of the toe nails I caught and they were pulled off...that hurt at times because some of the nail was still attached.

I would check my nails daily...I actually put plasters on my finger nails to keep them on as long as possible.

It doesn't hurt once they are off

Good luck xx

Donna

Pod-1

Re: Toenail

My nails went a bit weird and ridgy on chemo - altho didn't fall out.  One of the Doctors advised me to wear black nail varnish of all things !!Apparently this helps to stop the nails falling out.  Sounds like a bit of an old wives tale - but I can only assume as my nails didn't fall out that it worked ! 

It did take quite some time for my nails to return to normal tho -  it was a good couple of months after my last chemo.  

Other than that - I can't really offer any practical advice other than to use a good nourishing cream.  Perhaps try calendula cream to help keep the skin and nails supple. 

Good luck with the appt.  X

Pod-1

My nails went a bit weird and ridgy on chemo - altho didn't fall out.  One of the Doctors advised me to wear black nail varnish of all things !!Apparently this helps to stop the nails falling out.  Sounds like a bit of an old wives tale - but I can only assume as my nails didn't fall out that it worked ! 

It did take quite some time for my nails to return to normal tho -  it was a good couple of months after my last chemo.  

Other than that - I can't really offer any practical advice other than to use a good nourishing cream.  Perhaps try calendula cream to help keep the skin and nails supple. 

Good luck with the appt.  X

SamanthaL

Toe nail

My left toe nail lifted at the base after docetaxel, and I'm finally getting it looked at ( 4 months later) - I'm going to have the nail taken off, how long does it take to grow back and any advice on treatment?