Tomorrow is D Day - or should that be T day - start taking Tamoxifen - any tips?

Hi All,

Hope you are all doing well.

I’ll be honest, I’ve read the threads, read the side effects and have put it off for as long as I can but tomorrow I start taking Tamoxifen.

I was diagnosed in April, had a lumpectomy in May, didn’t have rads until Sept (not my choice - staffing at the hospital and they assured me the time gap was absolutely fine).  Oncologist recommended I waited until all had settled down after rads before starting T so I gave myself a date of 17th October.

I’ve just had my birthday (51) and my children came home from their respective unis to help celebrate. My daughter is in her third year, my son in his first.  This was his first time home since starting 4 weeks ago - he was desperate for some decent home cooking! I didn’t want any possible side effects to spoil our time together.

Anyway, we’ve had a lovely weekend, they are back to uni later - after a Sunday roast.

I am going into it with an open mind.  I hope to God I don’t put weight on as I’ve already put on a stone and a half since March when I was recalled after my first mammogram. I eat when stressed! Everything else carries on as normal but I get fat.  I will also be starting a healthy eating, healthy mind and body regime tomorrow - watch this space.

My husband has been very supportive and loving and kind - I’ve asked him to tell me if I turn into a bit of a monster - I’ve done the same with my work colleagues.

Fingers crossed - any tips appreciated.  I was already premenopausal, night sweats and difficulty sleeping so am kind of expecting more of the same.

xo

Hi Lizzie,
Well done on starting today, you may even be just fine on it, many of us are, but obviously, those who are ok on it, don’t tend to post here.
I was peri menopausal at diagnosis & tbh, my symptoms are not markedly different to what I was having before.
My weight has remained stable & I have made a conscious effort to increase my activity levels, which is a good thing to do anyway.
So glad to see you are going into it with an open mind & not pre-judging it. IF you do have any issues with it, then it can be dealt with should it arise.
Wishing you well with it.
ann x

Lizzie

I remember the date I started taking it Monday 28 November!!  I sat looking at this tablet for a week since I had been prescribed it by my onocologist.  It was a lady, PollyP, I was talking to on here who was struggling in the same way, she started the day before and I thought well you need to “man up” now and just take it :slight_smile:

I take mine in the morning at 9am with my fruit and yoghurt at work, funny how you get into a routine.  Oops hang on a minute, I just realised I havent taken it today. RIght back again

I am very much post menopausal.  I have a hot flush about an hour or so after taking it.  When I first started taking it I found a couple of weeks after I became very sensitive and would cry even if someone said anything nice to me, but that has long passed.  I have experienced constipation with it, but increased the fibre in my diet and drunk more water which keeps that sorted.  I do get some joint aches, but to be honest all of this is a small price to pay for this little pill to keep me safe.

Helena xx

Hi lizzie,

I have been taking it for 30 days now, so far so good, im pre menopausal (53) i take mine after evening meal, only side effect i have noticed is occasionally i get slight indigestion, no hot flushes yet, but im sure there gonna come , good luck

Debbie x