Tooth ache and chemo

I’m well fed up. Got tooth ache. Had appointment with onc and told her I thought tooth was playing up. She said go to dentist, and if its straightforward treatment go ahead but if you need root canal we’ll have to have a think about how to proceed timing wise blablabla. Got new filling at vast expense. Me and dentist both crossing our fingers. She didn’t do X-ray to see if root was infected, which I think she sould have. Anyhow, no pain today until about half an hour ago. I’m well fed up. Anyone, has anything like this a happen to you…

Bumping into latest posts for Boxofrogs

Hi Boxofrog

I had this last year while on a Vinerolbine and Everolimus trial. Dentist told me teeth ok, apparently chemo can cause this side effect. It was one of a few side effects I had including really bad tongue ulcers. I had my dosage altered and it helped. I put it in written notes that I’d visited the dentist and what she said. Even after that I was told by a Junior Doctor working in the Oncology dept ‘maybe you should go to the dentist’ I mentioned that she ought to read Patients note before appts. The prove was in the notes! Ha! Dosage reduced! Don’t be afraid of being a squeaky door!
x

Hi Boxofrogs
I had really bad toothache while I was in hospital still recovering from my mx. Checked with oncologist after a visit to the dentist it was either a false tooth or root filling for the second time! I was allowed the route filling as had time to recover before the chemo. I went off with my drain still in :frowning: But all went well and I started chemo on time :slight_smile: Good Luck hope all goes well for you.

Thanks both. Don’t want to speak to soon but filling seems to have done the trick for now…

I read somewhere to visit the dentist pre-chemo so I did. Had a filling and hygiene check. So far so good. My mouth is suffering though, so I now floss my teeth several times a week and use listerine zero. I find this helps. Have suffered badly with tongue ulcers too but found bonjela and sucking pineapple seems to relieve most of this. Also get really bad cold sores to the corner of my mouth, can’t get rid of it but Dlistex helps and Aloe vera cream. Good luck with the root canal I’ve had it once and it is painful. Hope some of the above helps too.

Yes. I had exactly the same problem! I started chemo in September, and developed toothache not long after. But my Onc told me I had to wait until I’d finished chemo before I could see the dentist, so I was just taking Ibuprofen and Paracetamol every day. I finally got to see my dentist in February and started root canal and kept on with it until 26th July. I thought it was never going to end, so finally I told him to remove the tooth. He did that on 14th August. I thought that would put an end to it. But no. It became infected and also developed an inflammation in the bone. The infection is now finally gone with antibiotics, but there’s no treatment for the inflammation - I just have to wait for it to get better, and it is quite painful because it radiates pain into my ear and also to the top teeth above the bottom one that was removed.

I just realised I’m probably not cheering you up at all :frowning:

Hopefully you won’t be as unlucky as me. X