Did you mean: 

Top tips going through chemo!!!!

princess18

Re: Top tips going through chemo!!!!

Bump for the newbies x

Vodka

Hi girls

i found prune juice is great for consitpation.

high energy drinks helps with tiredness.

Anita67

bump

carrieann

Pammy: Go cake on Undergoing treatment for breast cancer....... have bumped it up to top for you. Go girl!!

LOL

Julia

princess18

Bumping the top tips

mallysally

gabapentin ,,,,,got it just read your post at top off page ...so pam is that the tabs for your arm ????

its ok im a bit slow some days .....lol....

sal

mallysally

Ok thanks for that will ring them on wed.... and see what is going on with the arm ....gets you down ,when you cant do the things that were so easy to do .like even trying to get out the bath is a drama......and like you pam its so sensitive to any kind of touch..
and what tablets are you taking ???

sal x

p4d

Hi Sal

I agree with Angie - get in touch with your bcn - they are a wealth of info. Arm is a bit stiff - but am still doing the exercises - the pain - it's not really pain as such - the doc was saying it's like nuralga - which is true - hate having any clothes on it at mo - seems to be really sensitive to any kind of touch - but will start the tablets tonight and hope that they kick-in really quickly.

Take care

Pam

xxxx

vertangie

sal speak to your bcn... it sounds like cording which they have some excersices for I think, it pretty common. search the forums for cording.

HTH Angie

mallysally

pammy

just wondering how your arm is ....

i cant straighten mine out compleatly seems tight and if there is a cord that pulls when i try to ...

should i go and see doc or will it eas.....

sal

p4d

Oh - forgot to say Bridie - going to see the onc this Friday - Oh the things we 'look forward' to eh!!!

Pammy

xxxxxx

p4d

Hi Julia & Angie

Have managed to get some 'movitol' well named isn't it - for lack of poo situation from doc. Where will I find the recipe for the 'go-cake' Julia?

I will try the figs as well - I like figs - but don't really tend to buy them.

The bcn has said to get some - Gabapentin - the pain under my arm and down the back of it is not good - I phoned the doc and my OH has just gone to get the prescription - it is usually given to elileptic patients - something to do with the nerve endings. Have to take 1 today, 2 tomorrow and 3 Thursday onwards. Hopefully they will do the trick - I am not a fan of any kind of medication and have avoided it - but needs must - and I know that lots of other medication will follow once I start the chemo etc. I have bought a pre-paid prescription cert - well worth it at £27.85 - valid for 3 months.

Take care all

Pammy

xxxxx

vertangie

as for needing to go may I add getting a tin of figs if you like figs. 1 or 2 figs MAXIMUM, honest and see what happens a few hours later.

Mum told me it's good for post anaesthesia when you're a bit consitapted too, and if you don't feel like eating just sipping the syrup from the tin can help.

Always thought my Mum was a know it all... turns out she is.. woohoo 🙂 Love you mum.

Angie

princess18

Another bump! Best wishes to all who are about to start chemo,

Kelly
-x-

carrieann

Pammy: Find the "Go Cake" receipe - understand it works a treat - I've just gone the all bran and prunes route. (it's the codeine that stops you going!!)

Good luck.

Julia

p4d

Hi Kelly and Bridie - am frustrated as I haven't heard anything from the onc. Am going to phone the hospital and find out what's the matter! Had a very bad weekend - pain of wound - especially under arm and around back - so bad. Phoned NHS direct for some advice - they said it was ok to double up the dose of codeine prescribed by the doc from 30 to 60 mgs - did that - but pain still biting through. Can't seem to get comfortable anywhere! What a moan I am today! I need to have a good talking to myself!! And to top it all - can't seem to poo with all of the medication - haven't been for a week! Any suggestions???

Pammy

xxxxxxxx

chebsy13

Hi Kelly - thanks for the humour and advice - keep your post going to the top of list - waiting to meet oncologists to find out what treats are in store and thanks to you can plan ahead - my waffly details are on post - "didn't know chemo was on the cards" - just about sums it up - ho hum........I am the world's worst at waiting for the unknown! thanks again x

leeshad

this thread brill - have passed it onto others who going through treatment- pammy chemo-brain is def the word- couldnt work last week after 2pm cos couldnt string a coherent sentance together. Am good now tho until next time

mallysally

just read all some very good tips well done kelly for starting this thread........

and all the other ladies for there in put to...

i have bought a few thing's but will be dwn town this week to get a few more as i start my chem on the 1st july.

scared but got to be done

sal x

bmt56

Hi pammy
when do you see yor onc. I have appt 9.30 wed for treatment plan

Love

Bridie

princess18

Hope all goes well pammy,

Kelly
-x-

Leeloo

bump

p4d

Hi all you ladies out there. Have just spent the last hour or so reading from the first tip from Princess18 - Kelly - and have found the comments so very very useful. Have made a shopping list - and taken on board all tips and advice re ice lollies, pineapple etc. Am seeing onc next week (Ihope) and so will know what cocktail oif drugs I will be prescribed. I echo all of the comments about how informative this site is - it really does help to make some kind of sense about whta we are going through. Invaluable!!!

Pammy
xx

princess18

Ah Leesha,

sound like you're suffering from that phenomenon commonly known as 'chemo brain'!!! Many experts would protest that it doesn't exist, but my fellow forum users will no doubt say different!! I had terrible chemo brain whilst on E-CMF from May to Oct last year. Honestly, sometimes I struggled to remember my own name. I would frequently walk into a room, only to completely forget what it was I wanted!! I've known others on here to put their car keys in the freezer thanks to chemo brain!!

Take care,

Kelly
-x-

leeshad

Fantastic thread - should have read it before starting last week - might have had some shopping in! But will be prepared for next one on 4th July.

Any tips for boosting concentration? - By 2pm I cant seem to string an intelligent sentence together!! So only working mornings - wouldnt trust a tax return done by me after 2pm!!

Leesha

bmt56

bumping to keep it up there

waitingangel

Lalala -

How was the epi?? How long were you there?
My friend starts hers tomorrow - I start my TAC at the same time..... we feel so naive!!

There is a thread started by Leeloo for folks starting now - check it out...

Td xx

Lalala

I had my first Epi yesterday and have found this discussion really useful - so thanks everyone!

WestsideSue

Glad we could help Bridie........get your shopping in!

bmt56

thanks for bumping up htis thread. Good reading tips and experiences. not too daunted now
Cheers all
Love Bridie

Leeloo

Oh dear, poor you.

The joys

love and hugs
L
xoxo

LoopyAppleCaro

10 days into your chemo cycle is not a good time to have a curry... even a mild one.

Dom Perignons and Gaviscon to the rescue, but I am not feeling good. Stupid girl!

princess18

Bumping up for frank x

WestsideSue

bump

Leeloo

Bump

EmilyJane

morning all
just bumping this up.....

Leeloo

Good luck for tomorrow Ann, I'll not be far behind you, 2 weeks tomorrow for my first FEC

Vodka

bumping this up as i start my FEC tomorrow. was told its a strong one and i'll loose my hair quickly. will be given an ice lolly to suck on hope it tastes good!
am now going to read back and pick up some tips.

Ann x

Darwin

Wow this is a fantastic list. Still nervous about first chemo on Tuesday 17th but have an ample shopping list to keep my mind off things.

Was referred to local cancer care support centre who offer alternative therapies and have booked for reflexology a week after first chemo. Will let you know how I get on. Tried Reiki today - but will reserve judgement as to whether it was really for me.

Many thanks to all of you from whom I have gleaned ideas for self preservation for the duration of the chemo!

Katharine

vertangie

I must now add the following items for your consideration:

Banana + peanut butter sarnies: high in slow release energy and fibre (warning if you have diarrhea), easy to digest and doesn't go off quickly like meat should you be thinking of a little picnic in the sun.

Pixar movies. They say laughter helps with neutrophil levels, if so mine should be great after watching the incredibles... also suitable for children apparently 🙂

Steripen: To sterilise water of nasties (it's just UV no casty chemicals and dead easy to use) but they are £90. I just happen to have one so am using it.

waitingangel

Starting chemo Fri 20th.. TAC . Noted all advice in notebook!!
My friend was just here who is a reflexologist and suggested that a course of reflexology can be really useful with nausea prevention. i've phoned my onc who agrees and suggests I go ahead... so will start that just before...

Tdx

princess18

Another bump xx

Leeloo

Bump for Sharon2 and Fluffybunny

ForumMember

Bumping this up again.

Leeloo

Wow I am glad I have found this thread, I've just spent the last hour trying to read it all.

I now have my shopping list, I see my onc on Monday so if he gives me a date I will make sure I am good to go.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

L
xoxo

princess18

Just bumping this up for the newbies,

Hope it helps and good luck,

Kelly
-x-

princess18

And another!