Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top tips going through chemo!!!!

princess18

Re: Top tips going through chemo!!!!

Bump xx

Leeloo

Hey ladies, a friend of mine who has been there and done that suggested, manuka honey, hot water and a drop of peppermint oil for nausea.

Just to let you know.

xoxo

sunbeam

Wow I can't believe there are so many different ways of coping with the side effects. Shall definitley have to put a shopping list together. Started first lot of FEC last Wednesday and so far have had only mild side effects(I'm sure the worst is yet to come). I too am suffering with 'chemo brain'. I leave sentences half finished and walk into rooms wondering what the hell I've gone in there for! Anyway what was I saying? Thanks for the tips.

lizziemum

Thanks Mal for passing this on - Shame it takes so long to get through it
Thanks everyone I'm off shopping on Saturday
Liz

Anita67

bump up

Leeloo

bump

rjenr2

hi people.... a bump up... and all newbies - it is a long thread but do read it - princess18 was inspired to begin it!!

some of this may eventually appear on the new website - if i can get my newly ex chemo brain together.
much love and wishing all of you the best

jen xx

WestsideSue

Hello girls - I didn't bother with false eyelashes when mine thinned - I'm sure there's a tip in here that the glue actually takes out what eyelashes you have remaining. You can do a great trick with eyeshadow and nobody will really notice. Maggie's Centres do great make up sessions.

I am blonde (well, normally) and had probs getting an eyebrow pencil. Even the blonde one from Boots is a bit too dark/reddish - but it's better than nothing, and has a great comb on the end, so the result looks good.

If your skin goes all papery and wrinkly, Boots own make night cream is ABSOLUTELY fantastic - people commented on the improvement in just one week!

On the plus side, I've done 4xFEC and as soon as I started the Tax my hair started to grow in again - now have bum fluff all over my head!!!

marygettingbet

Hello girls. Am a newy. About to see consultant at Gatwick Park today to find out exact treatment plan for invasive ductal (not spread to nodes at this moment). I'm having chemo first and feel like I'm the only one as everyone else seems to have surgery first so why am I so different? My tumor has spread around the breast so it must be large. Will find all this out today. Is anyone going to St Lukes in Guildord? If so, what's it like? Any tips? Worried sick but keeping positive. x x

Bubs1955

I found that wearing kohl on the lower lid made the eyes stand out a lot. I didn't lose my eyelashes completely, but the FEC made my eyes quite watery so I abandoned mascara for the duration.

I did have a couple of wigs - really nice ones - because I work in an office and wanted to look "normal" - whatever that means! - but found myself far more comfortable in a thin beanie cap with a long scarf woven around and tied at the back. I am well past chemo (last one in September 2007) and my hair's growing back better than ever before - lots more bounce and thicker - so hang on in there you ladies without hair and watch it grow!

I like the Go Cake recipe, by the way, because I have been on Tamoxifen since last December and find it can cause constipation, even if I eat plenty of fruit and veg, so I will definitely give it a go (excuse the pun).

Good luck to you all out there in the middle of chemo. It's horrid and it's absolute pants. But you'll get through it and come out the other end.

Love
Bubs X

Anita67

Hi Emma

I was told to steer clear of falsies as they actually pull out your remaining eyelashes on removal. I have bought an expensive eye liner and that has made a big difference.

I have just finished chemo and still have a few lashes left and am looking forward to having them back!

Hope this helps
Anita

Norma1

Hello Everybody

My eyelashes have started falling out, I am going to try the falsies. Anybody tried them yet and what did you think.

Lots of love
Emma
xxx

jackie28

Hi Kelly

Thanks so much for the advice. Im going off to browse but I can see how much everyone appreciates your help not just me - your a star!!!

Thanks
Jackiex

princess18

Hi Jackie,

check out headcovers its an awesome website. Although it's based in the US, delivery is v.cheap and the items are shipped v.quickly. They have everything from their great terry towelling sleep cap, to eyebrows and eyelashes!

If you don't fancy going down the false route then 'Browzings' by Benefit is supposed to be particularly good eyebrow make-up, you can find it in Boots.

Take care and all the best,

Kelly
-x-

jackie28

Hello everone!

Hope its ok to join you. Consultant told me yesterday I will definitely be starting Chemo. I think I'm more scared of that than the bloody BC!! Anyway after looking through this thread, I'm feeling better. Going to list all these top tips and then I know what to get as and when, thanks so much!! Am waiting for appointment now for 1st visit to Oncologist.

Can anyone give advice re eyebrows, eyelashes and of course headwear?? I've seen ads for semi permanent eyebrows, hubby says try false eyelashes but I dont want to end up looking like bloody Barbara Cartland!!! - I'm 49!!

Thanks

Jackie

Norma1

Hello Everybody

I have just finished 4 cycles of epi and cyclophosamide which I found altered my taste. I found sucking pear drops, kola cubes, sherbet lemons, celery and fresh fruit very good for helping to get rid of the horrible taste. I too had a sore mouth my onc gave me a mouth wash called Gelclair, which seems to coat your mouth and is very soothing.

Lots of love
Emma
xxxx

WestsideSue

bump

curtainqueen

Can I add getting a little pillow for the bath if like me, the hair goes and you like a long bath. I spent the last bath with a wet facecloth on my head to keep it warm and cushion it against the cold steel.
Gillian

linka

The original tips No1 on this thread were excellent. The one I would add is Beverley Hills Toothpaste (found in a larger Sainsbury's) and I got the Gum Strengthening version. It is a bicarbonate of soda toothpaste, tastes fine. During my first cycle of FEC-T I had a very sore mouth. Starting this toothpaste and a baby's toothbrush simultaneously with my second cycle I had no mouth problems at all. I had slight soreness 3rd cycle (still FEC) and used Difflam mouthwash too.

With 4th cycle (Taxotere/docetaxel) my mouth did get sore again, but eventually Bongela sorted one ulcer, but the toothpaste does seems to ameliorate the horrid taste you get with both chemo types.

I started with cold cap (a sort of gel-filled cap cooled in a deep freeze before use) but in week 4 my scalp just hurt, and the hair began to go so by cycle 3 I gave up. I think some people wear a cap actually connected to flowing water which sounds like it works better?

With regard to pains during taxotere I posted a report in Discussion "starting FEC - feeling scared" accessed through this same chemotherapy experience group.

Linka

JillyH

Hey friends, thank you for all your tips. Am due to start FEC on 28th august, decided not to go for cold cap as I hate anything cold on me. But I do like ice lollies, so will get a store of them. Unfortunately I hate ginger, so I'm going to try cream crackers. Best wishes to all. Loved the tip about the basket with everything you need in it
Jilly xx

chebsy13

bump

WestsideSue

bump

Anita67

bump

princess18

Another bump for the newbies.

Kelly
-x-

mallysally

Chris how you feeling hun ?????

hope you are ok

sal x

Anita67

bumping up

mallysally

good luck dipstick drink plenty of water hun

sal x

mallysally

And salt and vinigar crisps lol......

dipstick

Hi Ladies,

just had my 1st chemo yday, ended bout 445. Av been waiting to be sick but so far so good, havnt had to christen my new plastic bowl Yet. Have got tins of prunes, prune juice, senokot at the ready, oh joy. Am I likely to be sick this time now nearly 24 hrs have elapsed??? Also got ginger biscuits at the ready but am concerned bout taking too much sugar and am tryin to keep it out as I have read somewhere on these sites that apparently cancer likes sugar and I am damned if I am going to feed it!!! any comments please help. tku

Chris x

Vodka

after 9 days of constipation and laxitive not working i drank a litre of prune juice one evening and in the morning i really did GO!
now i find two snall glasses a day just to get me going after chemo works.

WestsideSue

bumping - can't have this useful thread on page TWO!

mallysally

ginger bisuite's good for feeling sick ......

gill23

lemon squash - for when water tastes like the water pipe.

cream cheese and bread sticks for lite-bite v nausea

NOTHING spicy!

gill

princess18

Bumping xxx

bubbles2

bump for scared

debs2030

HI Gillian

Just to let you know I had the most horrendous headaches after my first FEC yet on my Second hardly any, still trying to figure that one out!. So on the whole although I was sick the second time and not the first, not having the headaches out weighed that.

Just wondering if each time will be different.

Debs x

curtainqueen

Last posted by palomino,
This recipe for Go Cake was posted some time ago (7 March) by Cryst and I hope it's ok to reproduce it here - it's easy, delicious, and does what it says on the tin... thank you Cryst, I saw the thread (Can't sleep after first FEC) just before starting my own chemo.

4oz All Bran
5 oz sugar
10 oz mixed dried fruit (Basically whatever's in the cupboard - use a nice mixture. Apricots, cranberries etc as well as sultanas. Lots of chopped prunes for extra "go".)
1/2 pint milk
4oz self raising flour

Put All Bran, sugar and fruit into a bowl, mix, add milk and allow to stand for at least half an hour (while you recover from the physical effort so far).

Sieve in the flour, mix well and pour into well greased 2lb loaf tin.

Bake in moderate oven (180 deg c) for about an hour, until a knife comes out dry. Cover with foil after 30 mins if it's browning too much.

Turn out of tin and cool.

Serve in thin slices with butter as thick as you like it.

curtainqueen

has anyone had trouble with headaches?

I had my first epi yesterdaya and don't feel too bad, just being lazy for the sake of it and reading through this thread for the weekly shop.
I think getting a small bag ready for an overnight stay in hosp is a great idea, it will take the worry out of it for me and OH.

I havent noticed anyone mentioning headaches, so mabe it has nothing to do with the chemo?

I was wondering about cutting and pasting this lot onto one comment page, I'll try later, just to avoid the "bumps" and shorten the thread?

Good luck to all the lovely ladies out there,

Gillian

WestsideSue

bumping................

bmt56

bumping for new ones. this is the thread with GO Cake

mallysally

bump .......
salx

Anita67

Carte D'Or Lemon Sorbet - wow what a great mouth freshener! Day 6 after TAX and my mouth felt human again!

Anita

WestsideSue

bumping

princess18

Mini callipo's worked a treat for me vertangie, hope they do for you too! xx

bevy52

thanks vertangie! I have picked up some really useful tips and have a shopping list ready!

Bevy

vertangie

bump for Bevy.. go girl you'll be OK.

Trying the ice lollies myself on Monday. Mini Callipos for me

mallysally

i've been eating tip tops and not yet had any mouth problems xxxxx

Joanne42

eating ice lollies during chemo stops mouth problems

Joanne