cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total abdominal hysterectomy next month - a bit worried

19 REPLIES 19
scottishlass

Re: Total abdominal hysterectomy next month - a bit worried

Bumping this thread up for Brightlight28 Victoria.

brightlight28

Just wanted to thank everyone for further advice and encouragement. I saw my asthma consultant at St George's hospital yesterday who is going to arrange for me to have a nebuliser before the surgery, as I'm quite a bad asthmatic. She said the same as you Lulu that recovery from vertical incision would be longer than smaller horizontal scar. Thanks for the link to surgery for fibroids. I have had cellulitis before Soi so imagine it must have been so painful in such a large area.

Thanks again and I will let you all know how I get on once it's been done.

Victoria xx

Anthi

Hello

I'm a dreadful wimp and was terrified before my hysterectomy so I told them how frightened I was. I was given loads of pain killers -morphine for 24 hours and then voltarol suppositories which were marvellous. I had the op early in the morning and got out of bed (with help) to the loo that evening. I agree with daffodil above about the wind pain. The pain meds tend to make you constipated which doesn't help so best to ask them for lactulose or something to try to avoid that.

The whole experience wasn't nearly as bad as I had been imagining.
I think if you're nervous about pain then it's always best to tell them beforehand.
Wishing you lots and lots of luck.
Anthi x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, I had it on 31st january and the pain from the horizontal scar i had was sore for the first few days but within 3 weeks was up and about as though nothing had happened. So much so that in taking the kids to Brum for a day st the sealife centre I fell over and broke my ankle (wouldnt have happened if Id been resting!). Doc said fit to drive at 3 weeks and if I hadnt been on annual leave, Idve been ok to work. The wind/bowel pain for about a day after the op was bad, there were 6 of us on the ward, 3 of whom were TAH, and we all really suffered. I think its to do with the bowel moving into the gap thats been left if that makes sense. I would say eat plenty of prunes etc to make "going" easier after.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi i had all removed last march.I woke up with a epidural to help with the pain for first 48hrs helped alot.The first 7 to 10 days are the worse make sure your given more than paracetmols. office work i think 4 to 6 weeks your be fine 🙂 good luck x

eeyore

Hi Victoria

I had gone into hospital for a BSO but my fibroids had grown so big I had to go back for a TAH and BSO, due to the size of fibroids I had to have a vertical cut, I had a bad time in hospital spending 5 days in HDU due to infection but recovered quickly after leaving hospital. I took approx 10 weeks off work. I had a few hot flushes but they went after a few weeks.

Hope all goes well

Jennifer

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, I had a complete hysterectomy in January, lap with vaginal assistance. The pain was minimal and nothing in comparison to my mastectomy and diep recon. I came back from theatre at 6pm and by 6am I was begging for my catheter out and to get up and by 7 I was. I was on tramadol once a day for the pain and just paracetomol at other times. I was up washed and walking about the very next day. I felt full of wind and had lower abdo discomfort. I got home the next day so my total stay was less than 48 hours. I was back on my feet in no time even though I was only 4 weeks post chemo at this stage. I was back at pilates and the gym in 4 weeks. The flushes started straight away and I am now taking clonidene to help with them as I was getting 17-18 every night and was exhausted, I also avoid alcohol and tea late at night as this exacerbates them, I also have a chillow, which is a pillow that stays cool all night. I hope my experience has given you some reassurance. I am 35 and dreaded it all happening but now that its done I can accept I had no real choice. Good luck and have a speedy recovery, another great website is hystersisters.

soi

I had a TAH with a vertical scar in November.I had developed a massive cyst on my ovary I am sure it was Arimidex that caused it.
They decided they just wanted to do Hysterectomy and that would be one department left to worry about.

I was done under epidural and she actually talked me through what she was doing and showed me my cyst which was the size of an orange. I Was home after 4 days but developed cellulitus and it was like I was on fire. I got a course of antibiotics and eventually healed. I was told 6 to 8 weeks recovery time. No lifting etc. That is the hardest part remembering you cant do anything. Ive still got a nice swelly belly which I cant get rid of though and really bad hot flushes.

Lulu34

victoria im not sure if the recovery is the same following a vertical incision i had the horizontal bikini line scar... its 4 inches long and very low down so didnt interfere so much with bending and lifting so much as id imagine from a vertical incision wich will have to cut through muscle rather than cutting along the muscle... if that makes sense.

anyway i cam across this article on hysterectomy for fibroids....
http://www.britishfibroidtrust.org.uk/hysterectomy.php

would def recommend a total over subtotal as smears are a right pain when you have had your ovaries out.

lulu xx

brightlight28

Thanks for more advice and encouragement. Kept me awake thinking about the operation last night, but glad it isn't too long to wait and I know, I'll feel better at the end of it.

PCAZ - interesting you had Zolodax to shrink your fibroid beforehand. Although I've been on the monthly injections for almost a couple of years now, they've made no difference to the size of my fibroids. Loved your story about your hospital stay - I've met some great people in hospital with the various BC surgeries and a knee injury and have kept in touch with some of them.

Peachez, glad your wound finally healed. Hoping I can avoid any infection this time, as this has happened to me before.

Magsi, thanks for your words of encouragement. I've pmd you as glad for the advice you can offer. Thanks too for the endorsement of the hysterectomy website. It does look really helpful, was reading it last night.

Laura, thanks too for your good wishes. Unfortunately, I can't have keyhole or bikin line incision as the fibroids are too large and too numerous that my womb has expanded to much for this. But glad you could have this.

Thanks again ladies, and hope you have a good weeked.

Victoria x

Guest user
Not applicable

I had one 8 yrs ago the scar is about 7 inc but u can't see it now on bikini line they do it through key hole as well my niece had that a few wks of taking it easy u be ok try not to worry I survived to lol gd luck laura

magsi

Hi Brightlight,

I was dx with bc a year before you in November 2007, then 3 years later had to have a TOA with BSO due to changes in the cells in the lining of the womb which meant there was a risk of them becoming pre-cancerous.
The op was done abdominally as the consultant wanted to have a look around. I was left with a horizontal scar very low down which is now almost invisible.

I teach part time in a nursery class so quite a bit of lifting and took 3 months off work. I found returning to work afterwards much easier than after the bc, less issues to deal with and dont need to wear a prosthesis - lol.

The website suggested by Sascha is really good with lots of practical advice from others who are going or have gone through the same op.I do have some very useful info which I can email you if you PM me your email address.

All the best
Mx

Peachez

I had TAH in Feb 2009. Bikini line scar is invisable now. Had morphine pump for first 24hrs, out of hosp on day 5. I got an oil based body lotion on my scar which was sort of glued. Unfortunatley it undid the glue and about one inch of the incision opened and got infected. They couldn't sew it up 'cos of the infection, So I had to spend the next 12 weeks going to the GP every other day to get it 'packed' til it healed up! Otherwise I would've been back at work week 6.
Good luck, I hope all goes well. Px

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi |Brightlight

I had a total hysterectomy when l was 37 for a massive fibroid and got zoladex before, are they doing keyhole, if not l can assure you l have a massive line at the bikini - you dont see it. Honestly after what you have had before this is a walk in the park - but you must take it easy for the first few weeks, l got my education in hospital in a ward with 7 people in their late 60's l did not know they were so up for a laugh and crude - helped recovery, l remember we got told to keep the laughter down! sense of humour keeps you going, l now call mine a hystericalectomy, seriously good luck for this, any info you want just ask as l am a huge coward and survived!

take care
PCAZx

brightlight28

Thanks so much for all this helpful information, and reassurance that it won't be as bad as i imagine.

Sorry you developed an infection Lulu, and yes I'm expecting the hot flushes to worsen. I hadn't realised you'd had a hysterectomy on top of all the bc treatment.

Sascha, the website looks really helpful. I was looking for some online support but had only come across some American sites hystosisters etc, so it is useful to see a UK one. I'm due to have the vertical incision too. Did you suffer a lot of bloating beforehand from the fibroids?My womb is now meant to be the size of 24 week gestation, and I'm so hoping that I'll have a normal/flatter tum afterwards. Something else I was worrying about was whether there would be a lot of surplus skin given how much my stomach feels stretched now..

Thanks so much for the pm Lella, I've replied!

Sorry you went on to develop IBC Lorraine, rotten luck after the hysterectomy just before.

This site really is incredibly helpful,such a wonderful community.
Thanks again.

Victoria xx

lella

Hi Victoria
I've sent you a PM xxx

Sascha

Hi Victoria, I had this a few years ago with a vertical scar due to huge fibroids.......in terms of pain it really was nowhere near as bad as I imagined and while I put the operation off until I had no choice (as I could never believe I would feel better afterwards) I have to admit that now it WAS the right thing for me and I have been a lot healthier since.

This organisation has loads of really helpful advice and its a brilliant forum too to get support from others

http://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/

I think you need to allow yourself at least one month to 6 weeks as you feel very tired afterwards.

Also take in loads of sport tops water bottles as its hard to undo normal water bottles post op.......and delicate wet wipes to freshen up every now and then, little things that make a huge difference to your comfort.

Good luck

Guest user
Not applicable

hi,
i had a total hysterectomy in feb 2010, and i recovered within two months, then i was dx with ibc in the sept.
lorraine x

Lulu34

Hi victoria

I had a TAH and BSO in sept 2010.... I had planned to have a laparoscopic BSO but had enlarged uterus so just thought why not just take the lot. I had the op first thing on tuesday morning spent that day a bit out of it was up in the chair the next day and was discharged on the Friday.... I had a morphine pump for the first 24 hours and was pretty sore but had plenty of meds... I also suffer badly from post op nausea and vomitting and that was worse than the pain... It always is. I went on holidays 4 weeks after discharge as it was already booked and my consultant said I would do me good but not to do too much.... Not allowed to lift anything heavy.

Unfortunately I developed a late side effect with a pelvic infection and ended up in hospital with peritonitis 5 months to the day after my op.... This is extremely rare though.

The hot flushes kicked in really quick i kept thinking I had a temp on the thursday but it was just the flushes which have been pretty mental ever since.

Take care and hope all goes well for you xxxx

brightlight28

Total abdominal hysterectomy next month - a bit worried

Hi ladies,

I was diagnosed with bc in November 2008 and underwent the typical treatments of mx, chemo and rads and then prescribed hormone treatment - Tamoxifen and monthly Zoladex injections as my periods returned.

I'm now scheduled to have a total abdominal hysterectomy next month (25 May) because of very enlarged fibroids and pain, plus also as a measure to reduce hormone levels so that I will no longer need the monthly Zoladex injections.

I just wondered if anyone here has had such an operation; how painful it was, the recovery time, and any after effects. I'm worried about it all, as have suffered quite a few complications I had after mx and reconstructions. Also, how long would I need at home before thinking about travelling into work afterwards? - I have mainly a desk job, so no heavy lifting.

Grateful for any thoughts or advice.

Victoria x