Travel Insurance -- too many mets for America!

Hi all – just posted in the “Talking with others about secondary cancer” section about my absolute failure to get any travel insurance to go to see my family in the States next month – just wanted to flag it here, in case you don’t visit that part of our Forum. All/any ideas v. desperately welcome! xx

Hi Marilf!

What a frustrating situation. I have no definite answers, but thought about Candis. It is a magazine which I used to subscribe to, but I am still registered as a member. It used to be called " Cancer and Polio" many years ago, I think, and still gives substantially to cancer charities. Anyway, I think you may have to be a member to get travel insurance quotes, but I’m not certain. It may be worth a try - apologies if you’ve already tried it. If it looks promising, maybe I could give them a ring for you or whatever as I’m a member. PM me if you wish!

Love, Sarah.

Hi - Pre mets I got some good insurance from MIA Online to go to the States. May be worth a phone call - you could google them? Hope you find something!! What a shame and how frustrating!!

Sadie xx

Hello Marilf,

Have you tried MIA? miatravelinsurance.co.uk

01268 782745

They cover many more illnesses than other insurers.

Their web page is not very helpful in your case so why not phone them.

Fingers crossed.

E

Have you tried Bromley? They had a special bc policy last year - not sure if they still do - and were willing to cover me to go anywhere including the States - just needed a letter from my onc saying I was fit to travel and not anticipating requiring any treatment. It was very reasonable too - all done over the phone.

The other option is a policy that excludes bc cover - but that might be too risky for you.

finty x

Hi all – many thanks for your responses. I spoke to the very nice people at Mia Online, but they don’t cover the USA now. I’ll try Bromley tomorrow, and of course will keep looking! So ironic that I can have an “unremarkable” recent CT scan result, and still be here over seven years since my bone & liver mets dx, but not be able to get travel insurance cover. Especially as I’m feeling pretty well, and leading a mainly “normal” life.

Marilyn x

Hi again Marilyn,

It’s worth trying Columbus as well.
columbusdirect.com

E

Thanks emmbee – will try Columbus tomorrow (their website is down at the moment). x

Oh well, refused by Bromley & Columbus too – Bromley told me that insurance firms are “tightening up” on cover for the States for people with secondary cancer, as medical care there is extremely expensive and the firms were hit with huge expenses following the Icelandic volcanic dust travel interruptions. So I won’t be able to see my family because of a volcano. Makes perfect sense. xx

Hi

I was turned down by Thomas Cook for a very short trip to Brugge just after my Op. Even though surgeon confirmed safe to travel (I wasn’t even flying!)

I did trace a site on-line I think called “Staysure” they had a lot of conditions covered automatically (for me type 2 diabetes); and they did cover a lady who is going on a cruise very shortly when Saga turned her down.

May be worth a punt.

Regards
Lynne

Hi Lynne – thanks for that – tried Staysure, but no cover available for me; also tried Insure Cancer, following a chat with Jane on the BCC help line, but no joy there either. The problems are: secondary BC, holiday in the USA (v. expensive healthcare) and possibly the length of the holiday, but mainly mets + USA. Am going to try the “get onc to answer questions and we may be able to find cover you” route with InsureCancer. Watch this space. xx

Hi Marilyn,

Try this insurancewith.com tel: 0845 2307159

And this travelbility.co.uk

freedominsure.co.uk

allcleartravel.co.uk

Phone: 0845 230 5000 (8am-6pm Monday-Friday)
Email: <script type=“text/javascript”>eval(unescape(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%66%72%65%65%73%70%69%72%69%74%40%70%6a%68%61%79%6d%61%6e%2e%63%6f%6d%22%3e%66%72%65%65%73%70%69%72%69%74%40%70%6a%68%61%79%6d%61%6e%2e%63%6f%6d%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))</script>

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) and the British Insurance Brokers Association (BIIBA) can find you brokers who will advise cancer patients and can arrange travel insurance.
Association of British Insurers

51 Gresham Street,
London,
EC2V 7HQ
Phone: 020 7600 3333

Email: <script type=“text/javascript”>eval(unescape(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%69%6e%66%6f%40%61%62%69%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%22%3e%69%6e%66%6f%40%61%62%69%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))</script>

All worth a go.

E

Hi emmbee

Thanks for the suggestions – unfortunately, a lot the firms you list (also on the Macmillan website) have already refused to cover my BC. I’ll have a look at travelbility and freedominsure, but I don’t hold out much hope, as All Clear (usually the absolute last resort for people refused by other insurers) has refused me too. I’ve now spent two days ringing around, telling numerous health screening people the entire detailed story of my cancer (and diabetes, and asthma) history – repeating it so many times (and being consistently refused cover) has made me feel pretty upset. There seem to be only a limited number of insurers in theUK that the brokers use for people with pre-existing medical conditions, and none of these is willing to cover my BC while I’m in the States. Some of the brokers have said it would be easier if I was going to a European country, but who knows? The computer just keeps saying “no”.

M xx

hi Marilf,
I don’t have a secondary but diagnosed Auguust 2009 and still recieving herceptin. I’m going to America next month and found Insure pink by far the best insurance. some companies wouldnt touch me. Good luck x

I don’t know if you’ve tried Travel Insured
travelinsured.co.uk/get_cover.htm#

I don’t have secondaries but wanted to travel to the USA just a few weeks after completing treatment last October. I was refused by many companies but was able to get cover through Travel Insured’s wider acceptance policy. In fact I got a family annual policy which I found pretty amazing in the circumstances!

Good luck!

Linda
xx

Hi pp & Linda – thanks for your suggestions, but both of these companies have refused to provide cover that includes my BC, and Insure Pink (despite making a big deal about supporting people with BC) doesn’t cover anyone with secondaries. xx

Hi Marilyn
I have just bought insurance from Insure Pink this week that covers USA and my mets, plus a couple of other pre-existings that came on after my chemo. If you haven’t tried them it would be worth a call. My insurance is for 9 days and was reasonable given the USA angle on the premium.
Nicky xx

I have lung mets and have used Insurepink 3 times since my diagnosis in Sept 2011, all of them for ski trips to France (admittedly not USA). I always do it online, their website is very clear to use. Good luck xx

Hi Nicky & Glo

Wonderful that InsurePink are covering you to go to the States Nicky (and skiing in France, Glo!), but when I went through their website’s health screening this evening, it came back “no cover” for me. I think it must be the combo of bone & liver mets (but these are “stable”!), plus a recent change of meds for my Type II diabetes, with some complications from the diabetes that are making all the computers say “no”, but will give InsurePink a call to see if they have any ideas on Monday when their office is open again. xx

Good luck with your hunt Marilyn, I hope Insure Pink can come up with the goods but I do know that they ask about recent changes of medication so maybe that’s the thing that’s preventing them quoting. Hope they can help and you shall go to the Ball - well, the USA.
Nicky xx