Travel abroad with perjeta and herceptin

Hii wonder if anyone has been through similar situation.
Was diagnosed with liver and lung mets before christmas.
Im currently on taxotare (chemo), perjeta and herceptin. Had 5th chemo yesterday. Last chemo due on 24th april. Will then carry on with just perjeta and herceptin til the end of time!
Have had herceptin before with no side effects not sure what will happen with perjeta.
Desperately need holiday/break/sone sun. Have booked a cruisr for end of june for a week in he med. Realised probably should have talked to the oncologist but havent yet. The chemo nurse said they wont be happen but i said so said what am i not allowed to go away for rest of my life??
Any thoughts anyone?

Hi bunny71

I have replied on your other thread. If you look on this page you will see the travel insurance thread that I mentioned. Worth phoning a few of these companies to get a decent quote - many (most) insurance companies who state that they cover pre-existing conditions will not insure secondary BC or, if they do, it’s at exorbitant rates, grrrrr. It’s not as if we want to go abroad feeling rough, we go abroad like any other person, to have a break whilst we’re feeling good! In all the 9 years I’ve had secondaries I have never made a single claim on my travel insurance but, boy, have I paid out on some big premiums at times. Europe isn’t so bad but anywhere west eg USA can be very expensive.

Nicky x

Hi, I am going to Italy in June but can’t get a price until 3 weeks after my chemo has finished. Not sure if herceptin will affect the cover and quite tempted not to mention it at all.

I agree we and our families need a break more than ever after all this cancer rubbish.

Surely as its only a week whats the big deal. Especially as we all go along with what we are asked and told.

Hope you get sorted - Lou x

I’m not encouraging anyone to take my cavalier attitude but I’ve never taken out insurance for European holidays! I’ve been to Portugal several times and have just come back from 5 days in Venice (which was beautiful) I was not very popular with my trial team because I was a few days late for my regular appointment but in general my Oncs encourage sensible holidays and why not? We need breaks more than anyone…and so do our partners!!

I have also been to the Caribbean and to India last spring when I was on an easier treatment, I did take out insurance then. I think that you need to be settled into a treatment and know your side effects. The insurers do need your Oncs approval as well. I hope everyone manages a small break somewhere, it’s the only time I can forget about the ##### disease…