375679posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel insurance tips - sticky thread

libby_2010

Re: Travel insurance tips - sticky thread

Hi for the last 2 years I had reasonable quotes from Insure Pink. Had WLE and ANC in 2010 and now on Arimidex.
This year the quote had gone up 150% with Insure Pink and considerably more with other insurers. On querying this with Insure Pink I was told they had had a high volume of claims earlier this year.I had been told that the further away from Dx I was the more likely I was to get a lower quote they were unable to explain this any further.
I managed to get a quote similar to last years from All Clear. This really is a lottery isn't it? J

vercors

Bump

vercors

Nicky, Thank you so much. I shall get calling in a couple of weeks when work calms down. and now offto yet anothe hospital appointment.

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi vercors
I don't think there's any problem getting a quote way in advance, some companies will do this, although some wont quote until nearer the time. As I said on my other post Insure Pink will quote quite a bit in advance which is especially useful as, if your condition changes, you have cancellation insurance so can get your money back.However, as above, it depends on how many mets you have as to whether they will cover you. We went to New York earlier this year and they covered me (I have mets in spine and hip) for about £250 for a week and that included two other heart related problems, well worth it.
I will try to find the secondaries insurance thread which has a long list of companies near the start . The other company that was recommended on one of those threads recently, which I haven't tried yet (and I've tried a lot of the others to varying success/failure) is Insurecancer 01252 780190.
Good luck and I hope we all have many holidays to come 🙂
Nicky x

vercors

I need a piece of advice, and as there are some well trave,led ladies on this thread, you might be able to help.
Hubby booked a week end in New York at the end of October, so should I source my insurance now or later? If the former, what happens if there is a change in my bone mets between now and the time we are due to fly?
I've always wanted to go to NY, but I am now worried about the cost of insurance. My work used to cover me for both business and holidays. Last year they changed their policy and only give us £25.00 towards a holiday insurance.

broomsticklady

Oh - at last!! Having signed in first I can then respond with 'quick reply' - was trying 'reply' before but wasn't logged in and just hung!
Isn't it a good job us secondary ladies have nothing better to do than ring insurance companies?! I spent an afternoon going thru questionnaires with about 5 before I got fed up for 14 days in Mexico for Christmas - I want to see the Mayan stuff before I go, as it were.
The only quote I got was All Clear - are you sitting down? £6778!! And when I rang back, prompted by Insurance Choice, I was told I shouldn't have been given this figure as if the quote is higher than 3K they won't do the insurance anyway!
Anyway - to recommend on my experience - when I was primary it was easy I used both Freedom in Cambridge and Mia and took whichever was cheapest. Since sec dx I've mainly been in Europe and have chanced it (but when I mentioned this to my MacMillan nurse she told me of someone who had to be Med Evaced from Tenerife at a cost of 30K - luckily he was insured but I'm thinking twice about chancing it, however cheap the holiday).
My experience above was quite chastening but I found Insurance Choice very helpful - Hailey went the extra mile to help me, and we eventually sussed if I wait til September when my sec dx is 1 year old (bone mets - they didn't ask for extent) I should be able to get something for around 2- 3K - she was experimenting with her quote to see what helped. For them it was time since dx and the fact I'm on 'strong painkillers' AKA morphine which bumped my premium - altho I know things like active treatment of other than bone pills and hormones effects things too. I know 2 - 3K is still ridiculous but for peace of mind in case something happens I'll take it - cats please note - starvation diets come the autumn!!
Now to see if 'post' works...
Nina
PS I had trouble finding this thread the other night - it's lost its sticky - I've emeiled eth moderators to re sticky it but whether they will listen to one person I don't know

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Anne
I agree with Laurie about the status of secondary BC but, unless you have been told there are no other treatment options available to you and that your disease is progressing out of control I would be inclined to say you have not been given a terminal diagnosis when you are asked by the insurance medical screening process. I have mets and have had them for over 4 years now, my onc keeps telling me I will be here for years (I hope he's got it right!) so I don't consider myself as having had a terminal diagnosis and always tell the insurance company the truth, that I have not been given a terminal diagnosis. A chronic, treatable one, yes, but at the moment not terminal. Again, that's what my onc says so I will stick with his words.
Depending on how many mets you have you could try Insure Pink, I have used them on a number of occasions for travel to USA, South Africa, since my secondary dx and they are very reasonable plus will insure quite a bit in advance and for cancellation insurance. If you get a quote off them thats better than the current one you have, you can always cancel the one you have just bought under the distance selling regulations which give you, I think, 14 days to cancel anything not bought face to face.
Hope you enjoy your holiday, I agree that we all need one, especially when coming to terms with a recent diagnosis.
Nicky xx
Ps I have just read back Annes post and realise that you have mets in more than 2 places so I don't think Insure Pink would quote, although they may do for Europe.

alesta29

Anne, once terminal always terminal I think as far as SBC is concerned. I went with MIA in May and they didn't need a letter, just an entry in my notes from inc to say I was fit to travel.

Laurie x

annabelleF

Hi
I have paid the balance of our 2 week holiday to Italy this morning and have finally decided to try to get myself some travel insurance. I had primary bc diagnosed in July 2007, but now in April dx with secondaries in lymph nodes, axilla, lungs and liver. My latest scans have shown my tumours are reducing though. After reading the threads first, I telephoned Columbus direct who wouldnt cover me, then freespirit said they could only quote me 30 days before the holiday. Then I tried Mia and a lovely girl told me I could get my cover for £62.50 but only 60 days before travel. I was very happy with this. The only question I have is, what constitutes a terminal prognosis for insurance purposes? If things are improving at the moment, is that still terminal? Any info on this would be appreciated.
Good luck with any quotes, if anyone needs a holiday its us!!!!, without all the hassle of jumping through the hoops.

Anne

Deb22222

Hi Laurie

I couldn't believe it either!! You need to speak to your company insurance broker and take out business travel which should include leisure holidays. My broker was really helpful, he emailed the insurance company disclosing all my medical details and they said fine, as long as not traveling for treatment and against GPs advice. This will only apply to directors and spouse, not to employees.

Let me know how you get on and if you need any more info?

Debs x
alesta29

Wow Debs that sounds good as I am a company director!
Can I ask who you went with? Can there really be somebody out there who would insure me to go to NY with mets to liver, lung, bone, lymph and brain??? Sounds too good to be true!!!
Laurie x

Deb22222

I have had so many problems with insurance companies, cost me £1300 for a 6 day trip to USA in Feb with Free Spirit, only insurance company to cover me for extensive bone mets. Then, All Clear wanted £3000 for a one week trip to Greece last month as cancer had spread to liver!! Again, only company that would entertain cover.

Then, found out as I am a Director of a company, can get annual travel insurance for about £200 to anywhere worldwide as long as I am not going for treatment and not going against the recommendation of health professionals. So, if any of you are Company Directors or spouse of a director, try that route.

It took me a long time to find this out and cost me a fortune so I thought it would be worth sharing.

Debs
alesta29

Bumping again for Lorraine

alesta29

Bumping this for Lorraine (Lopllipop) - it was bloody hard to find...

LesleyLP

Thanks Tess, I certainly intend to have a brilliant time 🙂

Lesley xx

tess27

Hi Lesley,

Glad you found Insurancewith, I always use them and find them so helpful and the prices are really reasonable, I noticed that a few people on twitter were recommeding them too.

Have a fantastic holiday.

Tess x

LesleyLP

I have a holiday planned over Easter to Cyprus which has been arranged since before Christmas. I had finished IV chemo in January and MIA had insured me as I was stable and on letrozole.

This week all changed 😞 My tumour markers have shot up alarmingly and I have been put on Capecitaine immediately. I still feel really well with no obvious symptoms of anything much.

MIA have now told me they won't insure as I'm on chemo and not going to mainland Europe and they are refunding me. I have managed to get insurance with Insure With at a lower cost than MIA but with a £750 excess in the event of a claim. I'm so desperate for this holiday, think the benefits will outweigh the risks, that I've gone for it! It's only a week and fingers crossed I will remain well for that week. Just wanted to say that Insure With were really helpful, as I've been turned down flat by several other companies this morning.

Lesley x

lucinda

I went to canary islands and got cover with Mia (I am not on chemo but have exstensive bone mets).The problem is although they cover you for cancer they expect you to go to the local hospital and use your European health Card to cover you treatment.

herbgarden

Di I'm assuming you tried MIA? I have vertebral mets and am on capecitabine. I rang today MIA to ask about cover for a cruise which included turkey, greece as well as mainland Europe. They said if on chemo they would only cover mainland spain, portugal, italy and France so wouldn't cover the cruise I had in mind but sounds like they might cover yours? Pam

di_surrey

Hi,

Having a nightmare getting travel insurance for a cruise around the med for a week in June. I have breast cancer, mets in bone and liver. Currently on oral chemo. I am very well. Live independently, drive etc.

I have tried every company mentioned on the forum. All said no except All clear that gave me a quote of £3000. The holiday only costs £600.

Insure cancer were a lot more reasonable. They explained that it is not the advanced cancer that is the problem but the chemo and that they would consider insuring me if 2 weeks free from chemo and consultant is happy. Having a break from chemo will give my immune system time to recover so less risk of falling ill. No quote yet as holiday is still 3months away but they are a lot more positive.

I am worried about the holiday now. I wanted to go away for a cruise (dream come true) with my 2 daughters. Am I being unrealistic? Although my cancer is advanced I am so well. Should i consider just going without the cover??

Thanks, Di

daisy113

I have secondaries in liver and bone and had fec last spring, finished chemo beginning of aug, and was booked to go to the usa to see family in Dec. Had a horrendous time trying to get covered only 2 companies would even quote me. Insurecancer were the most kind with their questioning but said could not insure in the end cos of high costs of potential medical costs and 'getting me back to UK' if needed. Freespirit would insure me at an enormous premium of £1500 for 3 weeks. In the end we had to cancel the trip at very short notice as the cancer was coming back and I needed to start more chemo. Very lucky as had only just paid the premium for freespirit and they have a 2 week cooling off period. Also lucky as american airlines totally refunded our flights. Now coming to the end of chemo and want to fly to usa in June so will be going through the process again. I know costs are high but will search around cos the costs which might be incurred if I needed hospital treatment in the usa are enormous. will try Bromley - any others helped anyone for the us? Daisy

lizzy_c

hi

i contacted pink by email gave all the details of my medical history (i had a very rare kind of breast cancer )and they rang me back after speaking to the medical experts (underwriters)just went through a medical declarartion on the phone 8 mins later insured for 20.27 8 days cover

liz

nicky08
Community Champion

Bump.

SadieL

Hi, sorry to bring bad news......MIA no longer cover the States. Sorry.
It is the USA that is difficult, not you nd your medical status. We ended up in Paris Disney instead.

Sadie Xx Xx

Alto

Lisa, MIA Online http://www.miaonline.co.uk/ seem to be good at covering people with secondaries. Have you tried them yet?

Jane xxx

lisa72

Thanks Nicky & Jayne.
I tried Fogg travel Nicky and they said no too. I have got a few more to try tomorrow. I think a lot are connected because the question formats are the same. It seems so unfair as my last bone scan in Feb showed everything is stable, I feel ok and am back at work -as well as running round after 2 young children ! They make you feel rubbish when they say they won't insure you.
Lisa x

jaynek

Have you tried travelinsurance.com? I got insurance from them last week for a week in tenerife for £30. However, I have to add that I do not have secondaries so my quote was only for my primary diagnosis from August 2010. Sorry if you have already tried them and that you seem to be having a real problem here. It seems so unfair to be going through diagnosis, treatment etc to then have this to deal with. Best wishes, J.

nicky08
Community Champion

That's a pain, Lisa. Sorry they weren't able to help you. The only other name I have noted from this thread is a company called Fogg travel (I think) which was mentioned a few pages back. The lady, sorry I can't remember who, said they were very good. Unfortunately it seems that the insurance companies don't seem to be consistent.
Hope you do get some luck with this.
Nicky x

lisa72

Hi all I've not been on before - I was diagnosed with primary BC in 2007 and secondaries in May 2011 ( 2 spots on my spine) . I have had a horrible afternoon trying to get travel insurance for a trip in April to Disneyland Florida. After being turned down by 4 companies I have just got through to insure Pink and spent 20 mins answering questions only to be told they cannot insure me! I was hoping after reading Nicky's post that they would, but apparently because I have 2 spots on my spine they cannot cover me?! I am really fed up and starting to get worried about a trip that is supposed to be a trip of a lifetime with my family.
Can anyone help ?
Lisa

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Chris
Yes I have insurance for New York, for later this month. Insure Pink insured me, I have bone mets, 2 places, hip and spine. When I asked them about not insuring secondary ladies they said it depends on how soon after surgery (not chemo) and how many places your mets are in. Worth giving them a call if you've not done so already.
Good Luck
Nicky xx

Steris

Hi ladies,

I rang about 10 companies to get insured for New York - all have refused to insure me.

I have secondaries to the lung and I'm currently on oral chemo. Has anyone had any luck getting insurance to the US?

I've spoken to my oncologist and pain releif consultant and they all say I'm fit to travel and can't see any reason. I've decided life's a gamble and if I didn't feel well I won't go. It probably my last big holiday with my family and I'm gonna enjoyed it regardless.

Hope you all have better luck than me.
Love
Chris xxx

amber32002

Been trying to contact InsurePink for two days by phone - nothing. Not sure what's going on there, but not quite what's needed. Trying others...

tess27

Hi Val

Have you tried http://www.insurancewith.com? I always use then and find the prices really reasonable, I think they cover any age.

Tess x

poodlepatch

Anyone have any suggestions on best travel insurance. I have just finished chemo and radiotherapy for breast cancer. I am 70 and partner 75. I know insurance gets bumped up for over 70's.
Val pp

fs1

Hi

I was insured by Saga on a multitrip worldwide policy & when I phoned to advise them thatIi had had breast cancer they immediately said they would not cover me & would return the remainder of my premiums.

I tried numerous companies - including those suggested by the brestcancer care web site - & had quotes varying from £1300 for an annual trip policy to single trip policies of up to £600.

I eventually got onto Travelsure.co.uk, via the Which website, & to my great amazement - by this time I was about to take out a policy excluding the breast cancer - I was offered an annual worldwide multitrip policy costing £145. This policy compared favourably with my precancer policies

I checked that the breast cancer was covered & signed with them immediately.

What a relief!!

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi T
I always phone insure pink, they are very helpful. Sometimes the website applications miss out a few relevant details and then they won't quote you. This is what I've found after trying several. I also agree with Glo about Mia, basically they are relying on you using your EHIC for medical cover in Europe and then you get the other travel insurance cover as you would any normal policy so it's not worth it if you already possess one of those through a bank account, as we do, or by buying one that's readily available on the market. Always worth reading the small print 🙂
Good luck with your hunt.
Nicky x

Glo

I once got a quote from Mia but when I received the paperwork I cancelled it.
They stipulate that you must use the state hospitals/doctors covered by the E111 card (for EU) .
But if going skiing, as we were, virtually all medical centres in resort are private so would be no good. If you had an accident on the hill you would taken to the local medical centre (private). To go to the state hospital you would have to transfer by taxi ( about an hour away!). I did phone MIA and point this out to them and they had no idea that this was so.

Tournesol

Thanks Nicky. I tried InsurePink's online quote system last night but it said it could not quote me for worldwide insurance. So I'm not sure if I'll try phoning them. It may be because I have a small amount of chest wall disease as well as 2 bone mets - even though all appears stable right now. Or because I had another cancer 5+ years ago even though I have been discharged by that consultant. Who knows...
I also tried Insurance With on the phone; they won't insure me worldwide either (although their online system had given me a quote bizarrely!) but they will cover me for more countries than Mia so I have a bit more choice which is good.

Best wishes,

Tournesol

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi tournesol
Yes, I have used Insurepink for holidays to south Africa, USA and Caribbean since my secondary dx 4 years ago. They have always been reasonable with costs, much lower than other quotes from other companies on here. I am on hormone treatment plus bisphosphonates and have a couple of heart related pre existing conditions as well, all are covered. It may depend on how many secondaries you do have though as I asked about this the last time I spoke with them last month and they said two sites only would be covered, but that may have referred to my bone met sites.
Good luck
Nicky x
Ps I am going to look at Fogg Travel though as I agree with Glo, I don't mind paying a big excess as I wouldn't be going on holiday anyway if I thought my mets were playing up!

jaynek

I am really intersted in this thread as I am in the process of trying to get insurance for a week away next month to Europe and then a dream holiday in October to Canada, America and then cruise home. I had bc diagnosed August 2010 and completed treatment of surgery, chemo, rads and Herceptin in January of this year. I remain on Letrozole.

The quotes I have had are from Insure it Pink at £178 for the cruise and £65 for Europe. They don't do a multi trip policy. I thought this might be a bit steep though not sure. I have e-mailed Fogg Travel and Mia (I think!) for a quote. I will keep you all posted. Take care all. J.

Glo

I have secondary breast cancer with multiple nodules in both lungs. I am on letrozole and as I was diagnosed stage 4 from the start have never had chemo or rad treatment.
I got a great surprise at Xmas. We had a ski holiday booked which included insurance and they covered me at no extra charge!!!! We are off skiing again on Saturday so I contacted them again, they have since changed the questions for their screening, but they are still covering me at no extra cost, although there is a £300 excess for anything cancer related. I am quite happy with this as after speaking to my onc he felt it would be fine not to even cover the cancer as I have had such a good response (so far!!) to treatment..
I feel this is the way insurance companies should treat us, no extra premium but weight the excess. But of course the wouldn't make as much!
Question - are these specialist cancer insurance companies giving us the best deal???
BTW the insurance company is Fogg Travel.

Tournesol

Anyone with secondary cancer who has managed to get travel insurance for anywhere outside Europe: would you mind letting me know where you've managed to get cover from? I would love to go a bit further afield while I am still on hormonal treatment (when this one fails I'll most likely be going on to chemo) but Mia Online will only cover me for Europe.

Thanks,

Tournesol

lisaf

Just looking for a little advice, I usually use columbus direct for my cancer and lymphodema. However, this year the hospital messed up and my op has all been moved around, haeding for a double diep recon at end of Feb and due to go to florida start of May, surgeon has told me not to cancel and hopefully okay for hols as long as no lifting - should i wait until after op for booking insurance? not sure what to do.... thanks xx

gillybean77

Hi all,

I have secondary bc with spread to bone, eye, lung, liver and skin and while most of it has now gone or is without symptoms, I've struggled to find someone to cover me for my honeymoon. Insurecancer are the only ones not to run screaming but even they won't look to quote / cover until 2 to 3 weeks before we go. And we need to book!

They've advised we look into Cancellation Insurance but can't for the life of me find anyone who offers this other than for the UK.

Help!!!

Gil xx

DJ007

I'm going to South Africa for just over a week.

Insurance With and Insure Pink came up with the same quote - £92. They also had exactly the same screening questions and pages, so looks as if they are underwritten by the same company. I was able to do the whole lot on-line.

Bromley wanted a 'fit to travel' note from my Dr.

Got another quote - can't remember who from - that was £136!

Dx

pat29

I got cover from Mia Travel for 3 weeks in SriLanka for £230 -this is for secondary cancer. They are so helpful and sympathetic. They also cover high blood pressure which a lot of standard firms now exclude. I've also taken out an annual policy with my husband with Insure and Go excluding the cancer, for when I travel to Europe. So I'm busy packing and go next week to relax after a horrible 6 months!

sunshine_1

I am off on a Med Cruise in May and have spent ages on the phone. Isn't it amazing how trying to organise travel insurance brings back all those horrible emotional feelings. Anyway I have found Explorer Insurance to be very reasonable. For me and OH to travel for two weeks the quote was £103.83 and if done through quidco you get 20% back bringing it down even further. To be fair Insure Pink was £119.67 so not much of an increase.

Incidentally, I did ring Explore before booking it online just to make sure that my BC was covered.

winnie2

HSBC Holiday Insurance

Until yesterday I didn`t realise that HSBC premier customers get Travel Insurance free.
No additional costs to cover Breast Cancer or additional body crumbles developed since diagnosis.
Added benefit is that, provided I don't exceed the number of days holiday included in their policy I don't have to ring again unless my medical conditions change.
What a relief this is ! My OH & I tend to go on short European breaks and I find repeatedly ringing and reliving my recent medical history very stressful.

tess27

Hi,

I have always found http://www.insurancewith.com really lovely and helpful for travel insurance, and the prices are very reasonable too. I don't have secondaries, but I do beleive they will cover people with secondaries.

Happy travelling

Tess x

lucinda

hi
I have just returned from the canary isles.I made many phone calls before getting insurance this time.I have secs in bones in several places.Insure Pink,who i have used several times,will now only insure you if you only have 2 bone mets.If you have spine mets as I do then each vetebrae counts as one place.
Bromley also turned me down with secs as did several other companies.
I finally got insurance for 2 weeks with mia online for £75 providing I used my European Health Insurance Card and only had any required treatment at the local hospital.
Seems to be getting harder and more expensive to get cover with a sec dx.