cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel insurance tips - sticky thread

240 REPLIES 240
IvanOpinion

Re: Travel insurance tips - sticky thread

I am surprised that they don't define terminal illness in the policy.

However, my understanding is that a terminal illness is not just something that could potentially lead to death one day. It means that options for treatment have largely been exhausted and death is highly likely, in the near future. I would suggest asking your doctor if they can confirm the following four Eurotunnel conditions:

1 You are fit to travel

2 Your medical condition(s) are stable and there is no sign they will get worse

3 You have not been diagnosed as suffering from a terminal illness

4 They do not know that you will need medical treatment or consultation at any medical facility during your journey.

If yes, then you are covered. End of story.

Under the policy wording, what matters is what your doctor says, so even if Eurotunnel disagrees with your doctor and thinks your condition is terminal, this is irrelevant. 

There's no need to discuss in advance with Eurotunnel. They don't do any screening. If you do discuss specifics, I think you are only going to risk them refusing cover, "just in case". Just decide if your doctor would agree with the four statements above. That's all that matter. (If you want certainty, cut and paste them into a letter and get your doctor to sign that they agree. I can't see any way that Eurotunnel could wiggle out of that.)

Note also that even if you knew you would have to take medication whilst on holiday, that's fine, as long as the expectation was that you would administer the medication yourself. The fourth condition talks about treatment "at a medical facility".

Lynnq

Hello again. I contacted Eurotunnel this morning and I w...

SORRY IT TOOK ME SO LONG TO TYPE THIS POST AND THEN SOMEHOW I HAVE MANAGED TO POST IT TWICE...........

Hello again.  I contacted Eurotunnel this morning and I was on the line for ages, and before I rang them I read the 'small print' on their website. On page 12 under Health conditions and health exclusions it says that - "You will be covered for claims arising directly or indirectly from any existing medical conditions so long as your doctor can confirm that................"

and the third point is -"you had not been diagnosed as suffering from a terminal illness"-

When I rang I told her straight away that I was diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer and that I had Zometa infusions. Initially I was told that I would be covered even though I have the Zometa infusions.  She said that they do not do a health screening as such and just said that I would need the doctor to make a note on my medical records....etc

I then asked her about the point regarding terminal illness.  She asked me if I had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and I said that SBC is considered a terminal illness.  She then said that no they wouldn't cover me.

I asked to be put through to the underwriters and had more or less the same conversation.  I pointed out that if I hadn't gone on the website and read their "small print"  I would never have known the "terminal illness" rule---- and that many people would just accept that they were covered on being told so by the agent.

She then said that when you take out cover they send you the "terms & conditions" and it is up to you to read them and raise any issues or concerns and that you have 14 days to cancel.........

She was quite helpful but in my four calls to Eurotunnel over the last few months "terminal" has never been mentioned by any of the half dozen or so people that I have spoken to.

I explained to her that the condition is not really referred to much anymore as 'terminal' breast cancer because people can live for years with it.  It is now treated as more of a chronic illness and usually referred to as Metastatic or secondary breast cancer.  

She then suggested that I speak to my doctor because if he were to note on my records that in his opinion I was fit to travel, stable, NOT suffering from a terminal illness and would not need routine treatment whilst I was away then that would probably do.......

I have looked at all of the letters that I have received from the hospital, surgeon, oncologist etc. This morning and nowhere is the word 'terminal' used.......I also have an appt with my onc next week so I will ask for his opinion.

I will probably just exclude BC from the policy if we do manage to get a holiday................... 

Lynnq

Hello again.  I contacted Eurotunnel this morning and I was on the line for ages, and before I rang them I read the 'small print' on their website. On page 12 under Health conditions and health exclusions it says that - "You will be covered for claims arising directly or indirectly from any existing medical conditions so long as your doctor can confirm that................"

and the third point is -"you had not been diagnosed as suffering from a terminal illness"-

When I rang I told her straight away that I was diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer and that I had Zometa infusions. Initially I was told that I would be covered even though I have the Zometa infusions.  She said that they do not do a health screening as such and just said that I would need the doctor to make a note on my medical records....etc

I then asked her about the point regarding terminal illness.  She asked me if I had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and I said that SBC is considered a terminal illness.  She then said that no they wouldn't cover me.

I asked to be put through to the underwriters and had more or less the same conversation.  I pointed out that if I hadn't gone on the website and read their "small print"  I would never have known the "terminal illness" rule---- and that many people would just accept that they were covered on being told so by the agent.

She then said that when you take out cover they send you the "terms & conditions" and it is up to you to read them and raise any issues or concerns and that you have 14 days to cancel.........

She was quite helpful but in my four calls to Eurotunnel over the last few months "terminal" has never been mentioned by any of the half dozen or so people that I have spoken to.

I explained to her that the condition is not really referred to much anymore as 'terminal' breast cancer because people can live for years with it.  It is now treated as more of a chronic illness and usually referred to as Metastatic or secondary breast cancer.  

She then suggested that I speak to my doctor because if he were to note on my records that in his opinion I was fit to travel, stable, NOT suffering from a terminal illness and would not need routine treatment whilst I was away then that would probably do.......

I have looked at all of the letters that I have received from the hospital, surgeon, oncologist etc. This morning and nowhere is the word 'terminal' used.......I also have an appt with my onc next week so I will ask for his opinion.

I will probably just exclude BC from the policy if we do manage to get a holiday................... 

Lynnq

Thank you for that Alize I shall ring them tomorrow.

They covered me last August for trip to Disneyland Paris.......but when i rang for a week in Spain in May they wouldn't .... The lady explained that Zometa is classed as treatment.

Fingers crossed....i will lose nothing by trying....won't get my hopes up too high though because I am aiming for USA ......and I will post their reply in case it helps anyone else.....
alize

Hi ladies. i have recently got travel ins thru Eurotunnel. They insured me previously when i flew to mexico - at the time i had a secondary diagnosis but hadnt started chemo and wasnt on herceptin. (my primary was so long ago wasnt tested for HER2 )They couldnt insure me recently for a trip to egypt unfortunately as although chemo finished last summer i am on herceptin and it was considered out patient treatment...

I was aware they were having a meeting on 20th jan to assess these sort of appts and now they are using a much better approach: herceptin now seems to be classed as medication rather than treatment and so they were happy to insure me for a trip to greece June this year.

Insurance sorted and holiday booked!

Other times we have booked hols with very little notice, on the eve of a good scan result day and travelled with no insurance with regard the pre existing condition, relying on the confidence of a good scan result and nothing being likely to arise healthwise too soon however for small apartment bookings on tiny Skiathos booking in adavance was necessary in order to secure favoured choice of accommodation and flights and its great to know that my present health status doesnt penalise from me being entitled to full travel insurance including cancellation in case any thing untoward occurs between now and june.

I would also like to say it cost about 16 quid!!!! so pls pls try Eurotunnel, even if you tried them before as, like i said above, a meeting on 20th jan changed some protocols. Yippee!

Happy hols x

2catlady

Hello again Lynn,if I were u I'd look forward to taking your grandchildren in August. I was told about spinal cord but he said this wasn't a problem at this time. The zometa is keeping bone mets in check. But I'm due my first scan soon,yikes! I'm on letrozole now 10 weeks as tamoxifen didn't work. Waiting to see him on Monday to see if letrozole is working.
People run marathons with bone mets,so disney a piece of cake lol. Just make sure u take precautions. I hired a wheelchair from disney so I could rest and not hold everyone up,made sure I used antibacterial gels after rides ,before eating. Didn't go on too bumpy rides,but managed to do plenty of rides. My teenage son did the OMG! rides.swam with dolphins and manatees in the wild. So if your onc says yes go for it.
Huge hug,Helen xx
Ps yes you can PM from iPad that's all I use. And please feel free to do so xxxxx
Lynnq

Hello again 2catlady. I retired from work on the 1st October 2012 and was diagnosed on the 9th October. My husband and I were planning to take our 3 grand daughters to Florida during AUG 2013.......we have been before.

The day i went for my results i told myself that i would get the 'all clear' and then come home and look for flights. Not to be...

I have had bilateral Mx and spread to bones and peritoneal area. Am now on Letrozole and have had 2 scans in the last year. Both have shown no further spread and some reduction in the bones....the peritoneal area is 'almost completely resolved'. My tumour markers have fallen every time they have been measured...started out at 412 - last reading was 56.

Since reading your post I am hoping to discuss going back to Florida with Onc and see what he says.

My main concern is the malignant spinal cord compression. When the cancer was diagnosed in my bones the onc mentioned it to me, gave me details of who to contact and what to do if i was at all worried ..... But he also said that the amount of disease in my spine at the moment is 'small and we do not believe she is at imminent risk of any deterioration'

Since then - as I have said - there has been no further spread. I will speak to the Onc. Did he mention this to you?

I don't know if this should have been put in a 'private message' to you. Can it be done on this site....i use an ipad.

Anyone else reading this who would like to comment I would be happy to read....whether they think it is a good or a bad idea.......
2catlady

Hi,I'm just back from florida and went with only m&s travel insurance that would not cover any medical conditions arising from the cancer(primary & bone mets) nobody would insure USA and cancer. My onc was happy to let me go as he said it was very unlikely the cancer would cause any problems in two weeks and most of this patients go without as insures squirm out of payments or they run into thousands for USA. M&s will cover accidents etc. but worst case scenario ,if I felt ill I'd fly home as flights leave every day forUK. But thank god I didn't need to and would go at drop of a hat again . I felt the best I have since double whammy of primary & mets 7 month ago .when I was there ,slept well and hardly any pain. It must be Disneys magic lol xxx
Lynnq

I checked them about two weeks ago....i have secondaries but have been stable for just over a year. For a week in Spain they asked me to ring back 60 days before I hope to travel (was hoping to go in May). But they warned me that the premium would be around £1000. Mia also asked me to ring back 62 days before I hope to travel.....they reckoned around £200 for husband and I....that's the best i can find, phoned 17 companies and only 3 were willing to cover me. I do believe though that there is more available for those who have no spread.........
carrie35

In the news today about the difficulty of getting travel insurance. Well done to woman with BC who has set up her own company. Not had chance to check it out but think it's called insure with.... Check it out ladies and let me know if it's good.

Lynnq

Thankyou Amber. I have contacted MIA and they told me that they would probably cover both me and hubby for a reasonable amount, for A week in Spain in May. I have to ring them within 62 days of travel so I am happy with that.......they asked me to get the GP to note on my medical records that in their opinion I am fit to travel..been stable for a year so I am sure that I am

However my husband has booked a trip in September with the church for a week to the Holy Land...I am not going.....realise it will be too much walking etc. He does not have cancer but had a minor heart attack 12 years ago so always has to declare it...he is 68 but very fit. The insurance company asked him to ask his GP to note on his records that in her opinion he is fit to travel. So off he went to see her....her retort was - 'if we have to do this for everyone we would never get any work done -". ........kinds of takes the edge off of my excitement at finally finding cover, and at a good price....she did record it however so I suppose it is worth feeling a bit if a nuisance for the end result!!
Amber_D

Hi Linq, try Ok to travel and Mia travel, hope you get something sorted x
Lynnq

I have rung Eurotunnel for travel insurance today and they told me that they would not cover me.
I have secondary cancer in my bones. Initially the lady said that if my doctor said that I was fit to travel then they would insure me so long as he made a note on my medical records.
I told her that I had been stable for over a year and that I took LETROZOLE and had a Zometa infusion every four weeks.
She then said that they would not cover me because the Zometa was 'treatment'. She said that if I was taking tablets and just going in once a month for check ups then they would but the Zometa is 'ongoing' treatment so they won't cover.
I am very disappointed - last August i went to Disneyland Paris with my daughter and 4 grand-daughters and they covered me then, don't know if they have changed their rules or if the girl I spoke to last year got it wrong.
I daren't risk not having cover. I do still have a few numbers to ring tomorrow so maybe i will find someone.
The companies who have said 'No' apart from Eurotunnel are Insureandgo, Insureforall, Insurepink and Staysure.
I really do think that I am fit to travel, have been stable for a year...and my bone mets are in some cases actually decreasing........I wouldn't dream of travelling if I wasn't up to it.......wouldn't be fair on my family who I long to have a holiday with..........still I know lots of people are in the same position so sorry for the rant.
Amber_D

I've just taken out a worldwide annual policy which includes USA, Carribean and Canada with Insure Pink for £112. Dx 9/1/13, surgery, chemo and rads now on Anastrazole x
bunnysnap

Hi

I have just been to Tenerife for a week (December 2013) and had a double mastectomy with reconstruction on 1st October 2013. I got a quote from 'Staysure' of around £200 but then found a brilliant company called Just Travel Cover who insured me (with the op disclosed and also my knee surgery covered from the year before) for £23.40 !! I am lucky enough not to be having further treatment so don't know how much (if any) this would increase the premium. www.justtravelcover.com is the website, tel 020 7902 7405

pam01

Its probably worth getting cover which excludes the BC........for every other eventuality! Good luck. Pamx

2catlady

Hi,Pam,thank you for your response .yes,because I'm on tamoxifen and zometa they class that as still in treatment!! In other words they just don't want to insure USA.I tried insure with and they said no too. All the "we insure cancer" don't .
Ringing any insurance is so stressful and hurtful these days.
Huge hug to you Pam and thank you,Helen xx
pam01

Hi Catlady. Not sure if this will help but I did finally get travel insurance for my cruise to europe plus israel for 1 week from" insurance with" despite secondaries, zometa and capecitabine but it cost more than £500 and although the policy is worldwide it specifically excludes US and bahamas. Ieasily got cover from eurotunnel earlier in the year despite protesting medical probs.....but im pretty certain they wouldnt cover cos of "hospital based treatment" ie zometa given by hossie staff and chemo prescribed by hospital. I should ring to get money back but the discussions are all so stressful! Pamx

2catlady

Hi,I'm travelling to USA in January with bone mets and have tried EVERYONE and they all say no. One person said your terminal so we can't,I do plan to hopefully be around a few years . Others because it's USA . My own onc. Said you won't get any insurance too!!
Well,I'm going without insurance,if I take ill which is unlikely I'll fly back on any plane as long as it lands in UK
If any one does know of an insurance company that will insure for mets I'd be grateful if you could let me know.
It also seams to be a problem that primary &secondary we're diagnosed at same time only 6 months ago!!
RoadRunner

I have to echo what everyone has said about Eurotunnel insurance.  We are off to Iceland for four days next year.  I am over five years on from a primary dx, discharged from hospital, I thought ordinary insurers would be OK now.  But no -  Sainsbury's said £20 (for two of us) until I put in my medical history, when it went up to a shocking £75.  Eurotunnel quoted £29, and they hardly wanted any details - just an assurance that we were both fit for travel.

Anna_BCC

Hi All

Here is a link to the Breast Cancer Care Travel Isurance section on the website

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/impact-breast-cancer/finances-practical...

It is always good to remember that if you have any issues you would like to talk through then our freephone helpline is available Monday to Friday 9-5 and Saturday 10-2.  0808 800 6000.

Best wishes

Anna

Forum Coordinator

libby_2010

Should have said I have a primary Dx

libby_2010

Hi Rozita I didn't take a note from my GP but did ask him to write in my med notes that I was 'fit to travel' both in May and again when I went away in Oct as I wasn't sure that the May stuff would be OK although I had been well in between.As I understand it Eurotunnel only need it to be written in your med records... Having a holiday shouldn't be so diffficult Have a good one xx

rozita

Hi I got my cover with euro tunnel from recommendations from others on here aparantly all then need to know is that your fit to travel so last time in may I took a note from gp. With this do from a. Few months ago or do I need another note ? Thanks. Rozita x

pam01

AAAh!!!!! so i got them to email the medical screening through to read it. Despite discussing my vertebral mets at length and a statement on the form re this the screener managed to answer the question is there spread outside breast as no. So phone them back to point out mistake. Eventually get a phone call back to say they cant cover. (I also pointed out to them that it would have been nice if they had mentioned the £1200 BC excess which I would have been willing to take but it would have been nice to know in advance). They admit their mistake having listened to tape. To their credit they have fowarded to their" sister company" insure with. They will probably cover but need to run it past medical underwriters not available till monday. Why employ medical screeners who are clueless.......and who dont even read out the entire screening questions which they seem not to understand!...Ill update progress as and when! Pamx

pam01

Just to update the thread. I had the same experience as Buffy. MIAonline who have previously covered me for cruises told me they have stopped covering cruises cos of the expense of treatment onboard etc. I  got reasonable cover for a cruise to europe and israel from holidaysafe.co.uk. I have secondary cancer in spine. on zometa infusions and oral capecitabine. Husband also covered with insulin dependant diabetes.Holidaysafe.co.uk covered us both for 8days for approx £170 . Massive relief after a big concern re cover! Pamx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All

Just like to share my recent Travel Insurance Quote. I have just had quotes ranging downwards from £550 .... But the best one and the one I'm using is with " insurewith"... ( specialising in cancer ins ). It is £88.97 for 2 weeks travelling to USA. I was diagnosed Feb 12 so under 2 years. I am NED from IBC & 7 nodes. I am on tam/still have 4 herceptins left.

Penny47

I have primary BC.  My insurance cover is via AXA on my Visa card. (Bank). I checked today as we want to slip in a week abroad (Channel Islands- now no longer covered by NHS reciprocal agreement or EU card)  between neo-adjuvant Chemo and my op- we have about a 4 week window hence it's doable.  The cover for breast cancer on the card will only be activated if I have had and recovered from the operation- they aren't clear about whether this includes the inevitable radiotherapy.  I have learned that most other aspects of the policy will be covered, just not the breast cancer bit.  If I break my leg getting out a taxi, that will be included.  Loss of luggage, cancellation etc all ok.  I am trying to arrange separate cover for my BC on line and I can see this is going to take awhile so may go and see a broker about it.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All
Just wanted to share that I have just received a quote from 'Insure With' for a 2 week holiday to Thailand for £100.93 for both myself and my other half. I have had breast cancer twice and the 2nd time diagnosed Sept 2011...had a Mastectomy, Chemotherapy, Herceptin and Tamoxifen but no Radiotherapy this time around. Am going to keep looking and try the Mia Online and Bromley Insurance as recommended...but thought this seemed quite good?
Amelia
Guest user
Not applicable

My wife has sec breast and has her 6th scheme session on Monday. We would like to go out to Cali to see our daughter and partner. Some comps will NOT quote until 3 weeks after last chemo treatment. One has quoted but subject to underwriter scrutiny £9263 ( and 47 pence)
first class from SAN FRAN must be cheaper !!
Buffy3

Mia wouldnt insure me for a cruise.
lucinda

The only company i could get to cover me was Mia online. You will need to have EHIC and use the local hospital in emergency, they will however cover repatriation. Just need to have in your medical notes that you are fit to travel.It was about £100 for my self and hubby to the Canaries.I have bone secs.

Buffy3

Try www.holidaysafe.co.uk They insured me for a cruise to norway...i have bc + bony mets...declared all. I actually used cunards insurance link but this was the company that they used.
Guest user
Not applicable

All Clear were the only one on any list (I must have called 100 companies) who would cover me with bone and liver mets, but for a single 2 week trip to USA it would have cost £4250. None of the 'we will cover cancer' companies would touch me. I found Eurotunnel insurance from a recommendation on here and they covered me and the whole family for under £200 on an annual policy. This was less than we paid the year before my BC diagnosis. A lot of the secondaries ladies have used them they will cover as long as your doctor says you are fit to travel.
Guest user
Not applicable

i have tried http://www.travelinsurancemedical.co.uk/quote , but unfortunately, they would not cover me. I will try the others on the list. In the meantime, has anyone had any luck recently getting cover with spread to bones? thanks
Guest user
Not applicable

Why is it that kindle fire & this website aren't compatible - hence the numerous repeated posts. Since the planned maintenance I've been struggling to get it to work on my kindle.

Apologies
Guest user
Not applicable

A excellent thread as I'm looking to go away once I finish rads.

Thanks
Mary_D

Thank you so much for all the travel insurance information. I made a note of quite a few and hopefully i will be able to get insurance as i have secondary breast cancer. Will let everyone know how it goes.
Hilly1

I went on my first trip out of UK last month. I used Travel time underwritten by AXA for a week's skiing in Austria (£29) quite high excess though. DX Jan 2012, Chemo, then MX, RADS now on Letrozole. I found the site easy to use, as I got fed up with wrong answers being highlighted on Insure with and Insure Pink. Mind you it's only when we need to claim do we discover how good the cover and service is.
Kathryn

JCJ

I am with Nationwide Building Society, and as it is my main bank account, they have given us 12 month's free travel insurance to UK and Europe. Because I have just booked a cottage near Malvern for a week in March, and I have my first annual check up with my surgeon just 2 weeks before we are due to go, I thought I'd check if we were covered for cancellation - just to be on the safe side!

It is very unlikely that we would have to cancel, because although dx on 6th Feb 2012 with WLE/SNB and rads to follow, surgeon told me NOT to cancel holiday, in April 2012, (in UK) as they would work around it. So we went, between op and rads, despite the fact that OH broke his leg badly in February too!

Nationwide Travel Insurance do offer cancellation insurance but request that any pre-existing medical conditions are reported to them. Ring this number.......... So I rang. They wanted £70 to upgrade our cover for 12 months, after getting all my details - (no secondaries, no other cancers in party travelling, on medication, how many times seen doc etc). The holiday only cost £400, so £70 is quite a large percentage of this, and seems a lot for one week (our other holidays are usually camping and B&Bs, in UK, so we don't book a long time in advance or have large expenses to potentially have to claim back, so although it covers 12 months, it's not reaaly relevant for us!) So I decided not to bother upgrading, I'll just take the risk that we won't have to cancel.

But, now I'm worried that because I have told them about my BC and declined to upgrade, they may refuse to pay out on ANY claim we may have, even if it's totally unrelated to BC - eg break something in cottage, or break down on the way to it etc.
We have never yet had to claim on travel insurance - and the health insurance issue doesn't arrise, as we're staying in UK. Oh dear! That's probably tempting fate!!

Any thoughts?
Lisalauren

Please try eurotunnel insurance they really are the cheapest and don't ask to many questions , they only want to know if you are fit to travel.
ch280

I was dx primary invasive BC in Feb this year, had WLE and SNB in March, followed by radiotherapy. I tried several travel ins firms and the best I found was World First. http://www.world-first.co.uk/ I would advise that you get a quote online as this was quite a lot cheaper than the one they gave me over the phone ( nearly £70 difference I think). ~On line there was no additional premium and no change of excess whereas on the phone there had been. I am now fully insured, including for BC for a year worldwide including USA! Hope this helps someone

Nonny

I am 4 years since diagnosis and treatment and have got full cover for a month in Crete, Greece, next year, for hypertension, lymphodema and breast cancer from Insure and Go, I had the choice of travel insurance without the Medical cover for £49.00 or with full medical cover for £116.00. I did not think this was overly expensive as it is not the lowest level of cover they offer, as I am 66 years old it does load the premium somewhat. Why do Insurance companies seem to think if you have had breast cancer and completed the treatment, it is likely to flare up again when you are on holiday?
Best wishes to everyone
Nonny

cherub

I'm nearly a year beyond the end of remission and am currently having difficulty getting insurance for a 7 night holiday in Malta. I don't get free travel insurance with my credit card, but can get a discount with certain companies but every company I've tried says they can't cover me.

I assumed that beyond 5 years I'd be back on a level playing field as the only hospital appointment I now attend is for an annual mammo.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
To add to this... The Nationwide Flexaccount Insurance cover wouldn't accept me because of lymph node spread.
I did go through the 'insurance with' website, which I thought would be fine, as the page opens with the story of a lady with breast cancer... The screening was very detailed, and at the end declined me, maybe because I said radiotherapy treatment wouldn;t have finished over 3 weeks ago - only finished week last friday.
Then went on to Travel Insurance Medical http://www.travelinsurancemedical.co.uk/quote Much easier on line screening, with no questions about dates treatment finished etc, and insured now.
Good! Corfu Monday morning for a fortnights R & R... Bring it on!
cherryorchard

Vercors,
The bank did ask some silly questions but they apologised in advance.
The strange thing about the insurance is that if you are having blood tests at your routine appts, you are not covered. But if you are having mammos and taking regular medication ie hormone therapy you are.
Good job your work covered your medical expenses. Medical treatment is never cheap in the US and even pricier in NY, assuming that is where you were when you were diagnosed with lymphoedema.
Cherry

vercors

Thanks Cherryorchard,
I can confirm it does not work with secondary. My bank declined to cover me. They asked the stupidest questions, obviously not used to deal with cancer patient.
I got a quote from Insurepink for £206 for New York of four days for hubby and I. Seems pricy, but they were really nice and helpful.
The insurance would go down to £96.00 if I want to be covered for everything by BC. I am still two minds about taking the risk. After all it was in the US that I got diagnosed with Lymphodema while on a business trip. My work had to pay about £850.00 for medical care!
http://www.insurancewith.com/ must be the same call center as InsurePink as it was the same music and the same menus.. I just gave up on them waiting. I shall try again.
I will get a few more quotes before accepting Insure pink.

cherryorchard

Sorry this won't help any of the ladies with secondaries but if you have been diagnosed with primary BC and have travel insurance with your bank account you may be covered at no extra cost.
I have travel insurance packaged with my bank account. My daughter who is an insurance underwriter (commercial underwriter, not travel) suggested I contact the bank and speak to them. As long as I was 6 months clear of treatment and not awaiting any further surgery - no problems and best of all no extra cost!!
Hope this helps some people.
(My daughter said she thought that would be the case. The reasoning is that if you suspect you have health issues relating to your BC you are far more likely to seek medical advice when you return home than while you are abroad)

tess27

Hi,
I have been using Insurancewith (www.insurancewith.com) for over 2 years now and always find them easy to deal with and alway much cheaper than everyone else. I don't have secondarys but I do know ladies with secondarys that have also used them and seem to be really pleased with the service and prices.
Hope this is useful.

Tess x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone
I've been looking for holiday cover to Europe (secondary bone n lung mets btw).
I trawled thru many posts here and collected information about insurers (also used MacMillan site). I rang some of the numbers recomended. Of course it has to be a case by case quote, but found some wouldnt cover for more than 3 bone mets and those that would cover had costs up to £444!!
On recommendation, I called INSURANCE CHOICE on 0844 5577428. These are brokers, who first asked me who I had rang, so we didnt end up duplicating quotes. The very helpful lady who I spoke to, returned with a quote from HELIX TRAVEL of £243. I am covered as of now for cancellation due to the cancer and the overall cover seems pretty good to me with an excess of £75.
It's a bit different from the quote I had last year - pre diagnosis, but hey ho, cant change that.
So, if anyone needs a recent recommendation, this is the company I'd go for.

Hel