Treatment finished but left with so much anxiety!

I have just finished my treatment for bc which was chemo, lumpectomy and then 20 sessions of radio therapy.

Was take off of tamoxifen because my anxiety levels went through the ceiling and was so depressed. It didn’t help that I lost my dad very quickly to primary liver cancer during treatment.

Now left with high levels of anxiety that any ache or pain in my body means there’s something wrong.

I’ve got loads of pain in hip joints and as I’m 48 onc said that chemo will have induced my menopause.

So now not sure if symptoms are caused by my experience, menopause or anxiety and my mind in over drive. Gp has put me on anti depressants to see if that helps and I start counselling next week but wondered if it’s just me or if there are others out there that feel as if having reached the other end of their journey are feeling all consumed by the what ifs and is that something else ?

Thanks for reading

Hi Tracy,

I Don’t  think it will help but you are not alone and somewhere along the way we have lost trust in our bodies, and when the niggle gets in it gets in good and proper. I am a year finishing treatment and just like you any ache, pain, and one mind goes into overdrive.

Please remember to be kind to yourself and remember what you body has been tthrough, and you are also grieving for your dad.

Are there any support groups in the area that could help. 

Wendy 

Tracy sorry to hear how you’re feeling. Have you tried meditation? I know it sounds a bit hippyish, but I have found myself getting anxious again this last few days as my year on mammo is early next week.  I have done some meditation with an app I downloaded & it has made me less anxious/more positive again.  Worth a try? It was only 2.99 I think. xx

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just wondered if your GP suggested psychological therapy, such as CBT? It potentially could really help you to develop strategies to manage your anxiety through group or individual sessions. Ask your GP or Google IAPT services in your area (it is available throughout England- not sure about Wales and Scotland) as many areas offer self referral now. Don’t hold back on describing your problems on the referral or screening telephone call to make sure you get help soon. Hope you feel better soon. 

Tracy you are not alone, like Wendy I am a year passed chemo and five ops. I feel lost and unable to move on as everything I do (or more specifically can’t do) reminds me of cancer.

I have been on antidepressants and sleeping tablets since Feb 15. I was referred for counselling at the same time and my name had only just got to the top of the list 16 months later!

I have also found out that you can be referred for counselling through Macmillan and this only took a couple of weeks. I am seeing a lady at a hospice and they offer courses/workshops and a range of complementary therapies - I wish I’d found them a year ago and would have avoided the downward spiral I have endured.

Please seek help, contact Macmillan in your area and push to see them. X

Meant to add that I too have aches and pains I all my joints, I was very fit and active before bc and have continued with yoga throughout treatment. I’ve had a month off post surgery and the pain got much worse so the regular exercise obviously helped.

I too came off tamoxifen as my mood was very low on it. I’m now having zoladex injections and anastrazole which suits me better (so far, only a month in). I was 47 at diagnosis and pre menopausal.