I'd endorse what Belinda has said. I had DCIS 6 years ago and had 2 WLE to remove it all. But it appeared again at my annual mammogram last December in the same breast. I had a DIEP Mx on that side and, although I am still in the early stages of recovery, it has gone better than I had hoped and also have had confirmation that they didn't find anything else in the tissue or lymph node. This means that I don't have to have chemo or medication - radio was out as I had that before.
Julia - neither time did I have a lump or any symptoms. Both occurrences were picked up on a mammogram and confirmed by biopsy.
you mention you had no chemio or radio. Could you tell something more?
how big was the lump and what stage was it?
Thanks for letting me know.
I am really happy for you 🙂
It is such a relief when you get the results you wanted, I remember I couldn't stop smiling for days!
Best wishes to you for a dcis free future 🙂
Sorry to hear your diagnosis and hope you will feel comforted reading others replies. It's funny to read your thread as I was just thinking about whether or not I have made the right decision in having lumpectomy rather than a mastectomy. I had high grade 3 cm dcis in one breast and unfortunately due to where it was I lost my nipple and areola. I was totally deverstated knowing this was going to be my fate and thought I would look like a circus freek etc but was and am grateful everyday my cancer was non invasive, however 2 WLE later plus radiotherapy, I am now fully recovered with the exception of the daily electric shock type pains but I have been questioning wether I made the right choice. I was adamant at the time I would not lose my breast but ever since I worry about whether it will come back and will it be a more serious case. I know I shouldnt worry about something that might not happen but I suppose thats my point, if I had gone ahead with the mastectomy and reconstruction I wouldnt be worried now would I?
I can only say that I did what was right for me at the time and will have to live with my decision but if it happened again I would seriously consider mx.
Very best of luck to you what ever decision you make, like me will be right for you at the time.
Thanks for your post and your good wishes. I am so sorry to hear about your experience, the diagnosis must have been a shock diagnosed during routine surgery, but thank heavens it was found and it sounds as if you made a really sensible choice.
I have talked things through with my breast cancer nurse but she does seem to echo everything the consultant says. I understand why they are recommending the mastectomy but would be really upset if afterwards they tested the tissue and told me there had been no DCIS elsewhere in the ducts.
At this stage I don't feel ready psychologically for a mastectomy and think will go for the third WLE as they have given me that option, and as Pinky said at least I will have given it a final chance. My husband and friends have been great, and it helped me a lot just putting it all down in my original post on the forum, sorry it was so long and rambling!
Best wishes, JS
Mine was a mix of grades, initially low grade but progressed thereafter! My core biopsy just showed ADH so I was a bit surprised that the further the surgery went the worse it got. At least no invasive cancer was found 🙂
I am pleased to hear that the plastic surgeon is listening to your concerns. The good thing about having a last go at Wle is that if you still don't have clear margins you will know that you did everything you could to save your breast and it may make accepting a mastectomy easier.
I had radiotherapy afterwards, which was fine. A bit of a pain going to the hospital everyday for weeks and some temporary soreness ( a bit like sunburn) The only lingering issue is some pain in my breast but this is gradually improving. I do not currently take tamoxifen.
I was in a very similar situation to yourself.
In the end after much soul searching I decided that I did not want to lose my breast. I chose to have a further WLE as a last and third attempt at getting clean margins and luckily for me it went well. My consultant was really keen for me to have a mastectomy but Like you the thought of losing my breast was a step too far.
My BCN said that as I had doubts about choosing mastectomy that I was right to try WLE again.
It is important that you do what feels right for you, please don't feel pressured into making a decision you will have to live with for the rest of your life. I was told my breast might not look good after three WLE's, but I am pretty happy, it is slightly smaller and I have a long scar from my side to the nipple, but the upside is that it still feels the same as before. I am sure there will be ladies who chose or indeed had no choice but mastectomy who will be able to give you some good feedback on their experiences.
Please feel free to ask me any questions and I will do my best to help.
Welcome to the forums, this must be a very difficult time for you but you have come to the right place for support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.
In the meantime maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.