1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treatment starting August 2014

Re: Treatment starting August 2014

Hi alijay and welcome to the BCC forums

You have come to a very supportive thread here and please also feel free to access the helpline and further information and support as I posted to Serenity this morning

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi alijay

I had MX, lymph clearance and LD flap reconstruction 3 weeks ago. Dreading my chemo which I start 19th August. Picc line in 18th. Please post and let us know how the picc insertion goes tomorrow.... I'm a complete wuss and have been given a sedative to take when I have mine put in. Believe it or not, I used to avoid pharmaceuticals like the plague and used herbal, homeopathic and natural remedies whenever possible. Currently, I'll accept any drug they care to throw at me!! (That morphine button got a fair old hammering while I was in hospital too!) 🙂 x

Hi Ladies mind if I join in?  Starting chemo on 4th August, 6 x Fec-T,  pre chemo assessment and PICC line tomorrow. Seems like I have been waiting ages to start my treatment so although I'm feeling a bit scared just want to get on with it now.  Was diagnosed 1st May with Grade 3 IDC, 1.5cm, had WLE and full node clearance at end of May, turned out tumour was actually 2.5cm, 3 out of 17 nodes positive and LVI. More surgery 2 weeks after that as margins weren't clear, then ct and bone scans. Finally saw Oncologist a couple of weeks ago, thankfully scans were clear and he was very positive so now onto  Chemo, Radiotherapy and Tamoxifen.  Although I havent posted before, reading so many inspirational stories on here has kept me sane over the past few months!  

Good luck everyone x

Macky -- hope you're doing OK hunnie. Thinking of you. Bxx

Morning Serenity 58......welcome to the August14 forum. 

Go for it....have your hair cropped, that way you take some control...... That's what I'm doing this weekend anyway 😮

As you'll probably have read, my chemo is due to start 22nd Aug so I've a few weeks to enjoy without hospital visits.... all being well ☺

What is the pic line you refer to? Am not sure what the pre asessment scenario is although I know I go on 21st for it.

With love & best wishes

B xx

Hi Serenity and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support and shared experiences you will find here, please do feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support, lines are open during the week 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

Here's a link to the BCC 'I am having treatment' pages where you will find further support ideas and lots of information including our hair loss services which I hope you will find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi, another August contender here, mastectomy and recon in June. Pre chemo assessment and pic line on the 11th August and starting FEC on the 12th August.  Wondering whether to get hair cropped before the 5day pre chemo body/hair wash starts? Smiley Happy

Hi Mel.

Keep smiling in the face of adversity hunnie. I was seriously down & distraught only a week ago but have taken much comfort from being involved in this forum.

I too have long hair but took the plunge last Thursday to buy a magazine of short hairstyles & have picked out a few. I'm going to see my hairdresser tomorrow afternoon, mag in hand, for a cuppa & a chat about my revamp 😜 Going for cut on Saturday..... Again like you, I've decided to go short in a style chosen by me & hope that if/when chemo takes my 'mane' it'll not be quite so drastic 😱 This is my positive action!!

I have opted to try the cold cap....figure worth a try & can always ditch it if I change my mind 😕 

Stay positive...& don't forget a worry/wobble shared on here can only be another step towards recovery.

Much love.

B xx

Dear Mel -- sounds like you are making some good positive decisions!  I met a lady during treatment who had the permanent eye stuff done -- it looked great! So do go for it!  I had a reddish wig during chemo (you can see it in my photo album on here -- just click on my avatar)  Found every man I knew was very interested in it, so can see why losing it is a big thing.  I had FEC-T, so anything that I can help with, I am more than willing!  Much love, you are doing so well!!! Yankee

Thank you both. It still all feels like a very bad dream! I just have to keep telling myself that this I'll be all over by Christmas. Hopefully my last round will be December 2nd and so I may be up to facing the Xmas dinner!

I'm currently sporting pretty long, bright copper hair. Natural colour is very dark brown (with a fair smattering of grey). I've decided against the cold cap as, even if it works for me, I will be left with 6 months worth of horrible roots and straw like mid and ends. Far better to face it head on and accept it's going!

I'm currently looking into getting semi permanent eyeliner done before this all starts. I have the type of skin that forces eyeliner to head down my face seconds after application no matter how 'waterproof' or '24 hour wear' it claims to be. I'm also going to go and get one last cut and colour before my hair goes. Feeling desperately in need of claiming some control! X

Macky -- how are you doing?  From your silence I would summize that your first chemo session was difficult?  Hope that you will feel better soon, and do let us know!

with love, Yankee

Hi Mel

Welcome to the August14 gang.

I've had 2 appointments now with my oncologist & am due to start my chemo on 22nd August so you'll be a few days ahead of me.

I'm finding the forum very helpful & supportive & hope you will too.

Keep in touch & stay strong.

Much love B xx

Hi Mel

Welcome to the August 14 gang.

I've had 2 appointments now with my oncologist & am due to start my chemo on 22nd August so you'll be a few days ahead of me.

I'm finding the forum very helpful & supportive & hope you will too.

Keep in touch & stay strong.

Much love B xx

Hi Mel,

Yankee and I are from the February Valentine 2013 thread and are here to support this group as at the moment it is quite a small on. From our experience, we hopefully can support and advise you as you get closer to the date. Sending hugs. xx

Hello all
Have you got room in here for a little one?

Back from my oncologist appointment. Getting fitted with my picc line on 18th august. First chemo 19th august. Pretty standard course of 6 rounds FEC-T. Feeling very wobbly about it all! 😞 x

Morning ladies.

Wishing you all a good SE free day! 😘

Macky - hope you're doing OK hunnie.

B xx

Macky, thinking about you -- hope it was alright!

Hi Ruby

Glad to hear your se's are easing a little. Make sure you're taking it steady day by day.

My mum's found frozen pineapple chunks in Aldi today so she's stocking up already in preparation for when I start on my chemo. Am taking on board everyone's hints & tips.

With love B xx

Thinking of you Macky - you'll be fine today, grin and bear it, tick it off the list and think one step nearer the end. 😘

It's day 6 for me today after first chemo and I'm definitely feeling much better. Still weak and watery with indigestion and diarrhoea but all the aches and pains have definitely subsided

Yankee and poemsgalore - thank you for your poem and prayer - all meaning so much more when you are going through an experience alongside someone else, I think x

Have a SE free day everyone xx

Thoughts are with Macky today....her 1st day of treatment.

Fingers crossed all goes we!l.

Love B xx

Morning all.

Thoughts are with Macky today....her 1st day of treatment.

Fingers crossed all goes we!l.

Love B xx

Hi Ruby

Thanks for joining us & sharing your experiences. As you may have gathered I"m yet to start my treatment so any insite of whats to come is helping me immensely. My 1st chemo is scheduled for 22nd August so I will be a few weeks behind you. 

I look forward to sharing more posts as we travel on this journey together.

Take it easy.

Love B xx

Hi lovely ladies

Thanks for all your posts on here this weekend. Your shared experiences & poems/dittys are very much welcomed & appreciated.

Hope you are all doing OK & have enjoyed a nice sunny weekend. Will check in again tomorrow.

Sending love to you all.

B xx

Hi Macky

Sorry for not being into touch sooner - am making the most of these nice weekends before my treatment starts.

Just hope you pick this message up before your treatment tomorrow. Wishing you the very best of luck with it all..... Stay strong & positive.

Sending much love...you are in my thoughts.

B xx

Thank you all for the good wishes.

I'm a bit of a blubbering wreck today, I just want it to be over so I can get under the duvet and hide from it all.

Been drinking lots of water as advised.

Thank you xxxxx

Hi all, 

Macky, good luck for tomorrow, as Yankee said you won't find it anywhere near as bad as you expect. I always used to enjoy my visit to the chemo day ward as the nurses were so friendly, we all had a laugh.

Ruby, I used to find day 5 the first day of my 'bleugh' feelings. No nausea or sickness, just completely wiped out. day 6 was worse, then it gradually got a bit easier until day 10 when the 'fog' lifted. It was like that for every cycle. 

Here's one of the (many) poems I wrote whilst having chemo:

The Invader

It sat there
in the bottom of my left breast.
It didn't hurt,
not at first.
I tried to ignore it,
pretend it wasn't there,
but when I lay in bed
my fingers would find it.

I squeezed it
hoping it would disappear.
But it didn't,
The invader.

It took over my mind
as well as my breast.
I had to tell someone,
so I told you.

Sending big hugs, and wishing you all well.

poemsgalore xx

Hello Ruby44  -- not really up to me to welcome you, as, unlike you,  I am an interloper from a long-ago Forum  -- but nonetheless glad that you have found the forums.

My Mother was an alchoholic and found her way to Alchoholics Anonymous.  The Serenity Prayer is their mantra, and when I was going through Chemo in 2013 I thought that it was very appropriate for us -- so I will share it with you.

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;

Enjoying one moment at a time;

Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

Taking, as He did, this sinful world

as it is, not as I would have it;

Trusting that He will make all things right

if I surrender to His Will;

That I may be reasonably happy in this life

and supremely happy with Him

Forever in the next.

Amen.

written by Reinhold Niebuhr

Even though I'm not a very religious person, I have always found those words supremely comforting.  I hope that you all do too.

With loads of love to all you real August girls!  Yankee

Hello everyone - hope u don't mind me tagging along too! Following surgery, I too am facing TC & Herceptin treatments followed by radiotherapy and hormone therapy. I had my first treatment on Wednesday and was pleasantly (!) surprised by it all on the day. A long day because they needed to keep an eye out for allergic reactions and the cold cap wasn't a particularly fun experience but apart from that not too bad! I'm day 5 now and felt like Id been hit by a bus yesterday with aches, pains and headache, sore joints etc etc but this morning I feel like it may be passing already so look out for day 3-5 from my experience. I also had bad indigestion and mild nausea. It seems crazy that this is actually a treatment and not actually the 'cancer' - presumably the ladies who are further ahead on this journey will tell us it's all worth it 😃. Good luck on Monday Macky - keep positive and tick one off the list Mondsy night. Hope everyone has a good day x

Thank you Yankee 🙂

I'll post on Monday evening grotty or not and let you know how it goes.

Take care

xx

Dear Macky -- I will be thinking of you on Monday -- I found that the reality of chemo was not nearly so daunting as the idea -- so I'm sure that it will go well!  If you learn the trick of tying head scarves, please share it -- I was given several beautiful ones by friends and never learned what to do with them.  Last time I had a check-up there was a lady there with such a beautiful scarf arrangement that I almost wanted to be there again.  It's a real art!!

With love, Yankee

Hi Bevster,

I'm geting myself mentally prepared for the first session on Monday, bag packed, lists made, directions to the hospital written down - I've never been to the one where I'll have the chemo before!

I've been spending most of today cooking some meals for the freezer and tidying up so that I can rest tomorrow. It seems such a big deal the first chemotherapy treatment! I'm not looking forward to it but on the other hand just want to go and get it over with now - I felt like that with the masteectomy, if it was going to go, it was going to go, so get on with it and get rid of it!

I'm quite calm and happy today, which worries me a little - I wonder to myself where are those dark scared thoughts and when are they going to leap out again.

I'm glad to hear you've met your oncologist and have the full plan mapped out now, it is such a better place to just knowing what's going to happen to you isn't it even if they are unpleasant things.

Full day I think on Monday, bloods first, then the treatment 2 hours later. I'm planning to nip to an area there where someone will show you how to tie head scarves - sounds silly but I haven't got a clue.

I'm quite looking forward to experimenting with different scarves, just wish it wasn't becasue I have BC.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get back on Monday.

Have a nice weekend - enjoy this lovely weather 🙂

xx

Well done Bevster, glad to hear your treatment has been planned.  Are you to have just FEC without the Docetaxel (T) afterwards?  Haven't heard of that before -- but everyone's personal profile is different, so the fact that I have'nt heard of it doesn't mean a thing.  Hope that you can have some good time before you begin!  With love, Yankee

Macky......how are you doing?

B xx

Hi Nikki/Yankee

No worries at all...you haven't hijacked the group.....it's nice to have the company & read what's happening with others. 

My Onc appointment went well today thanks....frustrated with a 2 hour wait for a 10 min.consultation but hey ho they have their job to do & some ladies need more discussion time, as did I at my 1st appointment. I think I've now got my head straight & got answers to all my questions so far.... So my "ducks are in a row" ready for chemo start date. 

I'm having 4 sessions of FEC which, all being well, starts 22 Aug. I've chosen to try the cold cap initially to see how I get on with it. Meantime I'm off for a re-vamped hairstyle......going much shorter in case of loss during chemo...... Figured that way it won't be as drastic!?!? Herceptin, radiotherapy & tamoxifen follow but going to take it one step at a time.

So I now have some time to reflect & prepare myself for what's to come. Going to make the most of the nice weather now decisions have been made.

Look forward to chatting again soon.

Much luv. B xx

Yes, also sorry Bevster to hijack your group!  But very glad, indeed, that not too many people have been joining up!  Too many people seem to need to join these groups -- so if you continue to need company, some of us old folk will be there!

Hope your Onc appointment went well today, and that you have more information about what you have in store.  Just remember, as yucky as it is, it is never as bad as you fear it will be!!!!!!

With love

Sorry Bevster didn't mean to hijack your group.
Yes I'm doing fine now thank you, had a bit of a scare when I had my mammo in my remaining boob and they discovered a lump.... Talk about déjà vu! Thankfully it was benign, panic over.
I've now had a reconstruction on my mx side, my eye lashes have grown back, my eyebrows are still a bit sparse but nothing a pencil can't disguise, I've had my hair trimmed twice now and coloured it last week as there were a few too many sparkles in it for my liking.
Take care x

Yankee, I too was told it's really rare, more common in those under 30, I'm 49!!

It's good that you told them at your pre-assessment, as the anethetist had prescribed this for when I had a general anaesthetic for recon surgery last month, it was only as the nurse was giving me the tablets and said metoclopromide I was aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh noooooo take then away I'm allergic......, my fault I'd completely forgotten about them I only ever took 1 tablet last September didn't think I'd need to take anti sickness tablets again. Talk about a close call lol

Hi Nikki49 -- yes indeed, correct in one -- the villain for me was metoclopromide.  I told the nurses about it on Monday, during my pre-assessment for the knee op -- not that I am likely to need nausea drugs for that.  She said that sensitivity to it is very rare,about 1/10,000.  So we would be the ones!  I'm not too close to you really, we live between Salisbury and Winchester -- but at least the same County.  I know some of my doctors worked at Spire too -- don't think we are supposed to name our physicians on the Forums -- so we may well have had some of the same doctors!  

If you feel like chatting on the phone ever, let me know.  I don't know how to do a private message to send my phone number -- now that they have revamped the Forums -- but I could find out.

all the best, Yankee

I'm just up the road from you then Yankee in Lee-on-the-Solent. I had private health insurance with my job and was treated at the Spire in Havant, they were fab.
Was it the metoclopromide you were allergic too, cause I had a terrible reaction to it. For those of you that don't know it's an anti sickness tablet that you can take as and when, I had my first fec, they'd given me the wonder drug emend at the hospital but a couple of hours after I got home I felt really quesy so took the meto tab and ended up shaking for over 12 hrs, horrible..... I've now got it plastered all over my records that I'm allergic to that. They switched it for cyclizine, which was fab.
Yes girls take every drug they offer you, if you leave it till you feel really sick or are sick it could be too late & you may end up having a trip to hosp for an intravenous anti sick drug!
The good news is that's it's rare to feel sick with docetaxel the 'T' part of Fec-t

Good luck with the Onc today, Bevstar!  I also was on FEC-T. I had a mixed experience with chemo.  Good in that I had no delayed or reduced- strength treatments, because of bad responses.  And just about the only one of the February 2013 Valentines who didn't end up with at least a short stay in hospital during the process. It was however, bad in that I was sick every single day of every single cycle.  I think I had every se known to man -- or at least woman!  So, I throughly approve of the practice of keeping a diary.  I used to write a report each month for my Onc, telling her just which se I had had, and on which day, how bad etc.  The paid off immediately, as the first cycle I was on a drug for se that I turned out to be allergic too -- started kicking and twitching and all sorts of strange things. Nearly every se you have can be dealt with if the professionals know about it -- so don't suffer in silence, and if things get really bad between hospital visits, don't be shy about calling your breast care nurses.  At least, down here -- I was treated at Southampton Hospital -- they were really good about getting back to you..  

I didn't experience the metallic taste either, but during the T cycles I had a bad time with mouth ulcers.  The best treatment I found was brushing frequently with a soft brush, Bonjela, and Difflam oral mouth rinse (this is not on prescription, but is usually kept behind the counter)

Will be interessted to hear what you find out today about your treatment.

With l;ots of sisterly love, Yankee. 

Thanks Nikki......that's helpful. Am seeing my oncologist today so will ask question re type of chemo I'll be having. They've given me a booklet on FEC so assumed just that but obviously didn't realise there were different ones. So much to learn & digest! 😱

Your advice to keep a record is fab....I'll make sure I do that - thanks.

Hope you're doing well now. Take care 😘

B xx 

I had my last dose of 6 x FEC-T December 2013 in fact last dose was given on Christmas Eve..... Merry Feccing Christmas!
I never suffered will metallic taste in my mouth, however I suffered terribly with oral Thrush on the Docetaxel, which got worse & worse after each cycle, and everything tasted of salty soap..... Don't think I'll ever eat Tuna Mayonaise again lol
However I found the FEC worse than the T, on fec I just felt rough as hell for 10 days it felt like a hangover from hell. The T on the other hand (other than my rotten mouth) was a walk in the park and I carried on as normal.
But everyone is different some of the girls in my group found the fec easy and the T hard some found it so hard that the T was stopped and they went back on Fec.
Unfortunately you are not gonna know what SE's you're going to get. My advise is to keep a record of each days se's after chemo, so that you know what to expect next cycle and prepare for it.
Good luck, it'll all be over before you know it x

Dear Yankee

Thank you for your message. Hope you've enjoyed some time in the garden today in the sunshine 🌞

Goodness me......now you're on with knee surgery! I must add I can't believe you're nearly 70 from your pics!

Am pleased you've given me food for thought re the cold cap.....I've added some questions re this ready for my oncology appointment tomorrow. To be honest I've been & bought a hair magazine today which is all short styles. I have longish hair at the moment so am thinking of taking the lead by having my locks cut to my desire before the chemo & hope that hair loss is minimal thereafter 😛......thanks for your advice on that.

After a frank talk last night & with the ongoing support of my boyfriend I am feeling more positive today.... No longer on a downward spiral so that's a bonus! I realise I need to be on top of my game ahead of the chemo starting. The support from this forum is helping a lot......knowledge is power I think.

You'll probably see from other messages on here that another question is how to perhaps overcome/disguise the metallic taste after chemo. Do you have any experience/tips on that?

You take care & speak soon.

Thank you.

B xx

Hi Macky

Wishing you all the best of luck for when you start your chemo. Sounds like you're only a week or 2 ahead of me (not sure exactly when I'm starting mine but should know after tomorrow's oncology appointment). 

Thanks for the tip re flavoured ice cubes & lollies......what a great idea!!! Sounds like you're pretty much organised there with things that will help all being well. 

I'm still in two minds re the cold cap so am gong to add that to my list of questions for tomoz. 

I haven't read any tips about the metallic taste as such so hopefully someone can give us some information about that on here.......let's watch this space. I believe knowledge is power over what we need to overcome.

You take care & we'll keep in touch.

B xx

Hi Cassa

How are you doing? Have been thinking about you & wondering how your 1st herceptin was today..... Hope you're OK. 

Have taken note of your advice re plenty of water so must make a head start & try to get in the habit of drinking more of it....shouldn't be too much of a chore in this hot weather 😎

I've been out today & bought a magazine on short hairstyles.......my thinking is that if I shorten my long hair now I'm preparing for the potential loss of it, when on chemo, my way 🙆 

Am at oncologist tomorrow to decide on treatment start date so will be glad then at least to know what's what.

Take care. Bye for now. B xx

Hello Bevster,

I'm due to start chemotherapy next week, I'll be having 3 x EC and 3 x Docetaxil ( I can't spell the E and the C without getting the information sheet to copy it! ).

I'm nervous about it too.

I've decided to not use the cold cap becasue of the very small risk of a cell staying in a capillary in my scalp, I've prepared frazen pineapple ice cubes and ice lollies, bought mouth ulcer gel, vaseline for my lips, and will be getting lots of food and fizzy water in because I live on my own and don't know what to expect in terms of being well enough to go out shopping in that first week.

I'm bothered about the metallic taste, have you had any tips from anywhere about how to deal with that?

Take care. Macky xx

Dear Bevstar -- sorry, I haven't been checking your Forum lately,  I have been very busy working on my garden which was neglected during the time I was busy having cancer -- as I am about to submerge into hospitalization again with a knee replacement coming up in August and wanted to have somewhere nice to escape to afterwards!!

Yes, I used the cold cap and would throughly recommend it!  It didn't exactly "save" my hair, but I did have enough left to wear a cloth cap and look as though I had some hair.  it did, however, make me feel that I was a bit in control of my fate; and I am convinced that as a result my hair grew back more quickly!  When it began to grow well (which was within a month of my last chemo), I had the old hair cut short, so that it all grew in together.  I never found the cold cap to be terribly uncomfortable.  It did make the chemo sessions much longer -- but my attitude to the whole thing was to go with the flow, so I didn't really mind spending the whole day at the unit.

Another one of the the Valentines had even better experiences with the cold cap.  Her hair thinned considerably, but you never would have guessed what was going on.  Her mistake was that she didn't  cut her hair shorter after chemo and so went through a funny sort of period with rather tired looking longer hair and lovely soft curly new hair growing through!

So -- my general advice would be to have a shorter haircut, try the cold cap and see how it goes.  If it is clearly failing, you can always discontinue it. 

You ask how I am doing now.  It has taken a long time -- I had FEC-T x6 and then 24 radiotherapy -- but finally I am begining to feel fairly normal.  It did however take almost a year to begin to feel normal. Unfortunately, the one thing that takes even longer is fear that something is wrong again!  I have trotted back to the oncologists twice already convinced that it was all started again.  They were wonderful, as usual, and assured me that everything was alright.  Perhaps, someday, I will lose the fear.

By the way, my friend -- she is Cowgirl on the June Forum -- seems to be doing quite well.  She is on a TC regime and seems to have at least one good week per cycle, which I never had.  Hope things go well with your treatment!  Lots of Love, Yankee

ps the picture of me that appears with my post, was taken about 6 weeks after my last chemo--if you click on my picture, you will see some other pics of me -- before chemo, in my redhead wig, and the way I really looked with the bald bit on top, but quite a bit of hair elsewhere   Incidently, I saved all the hair I lost to make a false chignon. It is magnificent, only trouble is my new hair is every so much grayer -- I am nearly 70, so not unexpected -- so don't know that I can ever use it!

Yankee did, and fairly successfully too. She may pop in and tell you more. xx

Thank you lovely ladies. I'm already so glad I decided to join this forum,  your messages are really helping me.

I have been feeling so low since being told about the treatment I face & have been struggling to get my head around things. You really are are helping to ease me along my journey - thank you.

With regards to sickness/metallic taste, have you found any foods that help overcome this?

I hope you all have a good day today. The sunshine is trying to break out here & i'm going off to watch my best friend's little girls in their local dancing competitions today.

Take care. B xx

Bevster, I didn't use cold cap but a lady I'm having treatment with has it and her hair looks great,I think she has lost quite a bit of her hair but she looks good and you wouldn't know. My hair was very short anyway and the thought of not being able to wash it each morning put me off, my hair started to come out just 2 weeks after my first Fec !! My husband shaved it off for me as I couldn't stand it coming out each morning in the shower, plus my scalp was very sore, to be quite honest it was not as bad as I thought it would be, good luck with whatever you decide. Hugs Cassa x