353192posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treatment starting August 2014

Highlighted

Re: Treatment starting August 2014

I'm feeling so depressed and can't stop crying. I knew it was going to happen but still not prepared. My hair is coming out in handfuls and it's been exactly 2 weeks since my 1st chemo. The thought of being bald is totally daunting and I don't want to be bald. I'm so glad I have my wig.😭
Highlighted

Good afternoon ladies

Thank you Pauls for your kind words re: the the melt down. It's again reassuring to know I'm not the only one that has felt upset by other people's reactions. I learning to deal with this better. X☺️

Bevster - I hope you find the pre assessment leaves you feeling well informed and better prepared what to expect with your first cycle. X 😁😊

27kate thinking of you. You'll come home today with a whole pharmacy of drugs to combat every side effect. They are all fantastic. Don't forget be kind to yourself x ☺️

Mel66 have lotsa laughs and a lovely fun girlie evening. 😝

Niceeme because of your post I decided not to ignore the leg pain anymore and I've been referred today to the DVT clinic for an ultrasound scan tomorrow on my leg. I've had a blood thinning injection today and they are treating this as a blood clot until I've had the scan. I never knew this could be caused by chemotherapy. Just another reminder of how important it is to look after ourselves during treatment. Are we allowed to drink wine on treatment? I never even asked.. Just assumed we couldn't lol xx

Bali hope you're feeling brighter today ...unless the glass became the bottle? 😜x

Jiordi I had my hair cut into a pixie crop just before my first session. I opted out of the cold cap, I hate the cold. Anyway I'm hoping to sort out a wig this weekend (head buried in sand) and my 16 year old daughter like yours reckons I should go for something "completely different" lol if only I was that brave.

I can't believe how big this group has become. Wishing all of you a good day xx💗💗
Highlighted

Results appointment this morning and confirmed chemo for me, so have appointment this afternoon at 4.30 pm with the oncologist.  How quick is that!!!  So I will hopefully have a better idea of exactly when it will start, though he seemed to think it would be soon.  I know I was told August, but this suddenly all seems very quick and very real and very scary! I'll let you know what is said today, but know that after the chemo, radiotherapy then drugs.  Hope ypu are all doing well. 

Highlighted

Hi ladies .. been realy nice to ready all your messages  and its really helping to put my mind at east about starting my first FEC next friday(29th)... went yesterday for my first wig consultation and decided to go for something similar to my own but slightly longer.. my  16 yr old daughter keeps telling me to go for the  long bright red ariel wig and have some fun  as ive always wanted really long hair but i think this will be a bit too much for me  although by the look in her i can see its really for her lol .. kids!! .... was supprised at how lovely the  guy was at my new hair and how at ease he put me with  all the advice .. highly recomend goin for your wigs ladies...  

lots of love and hugs  

maxine xx

Highlighted

Thanks Bevster! I am half way through packing a bag for the occasion, still in pyjamas, just had some breakfast as not sure I'll be feeling like eating as I get closer to my appointment time & the plan is to just potter around for the rest of the morning ... I bought some silk pillow covers so I have just put those in. They look so nice I hope they help too! My husband is coming with me. He has for every appointment. I feel very privileged that his job gives him such flexibility. He has been the most amazing, supportive husband ever. He has a very positive attitude to life which has strengthened me a lot. My little ones (we have 3 children aged 7, 4 & 4) are going to spend the afternoon at my friend's house which will be nice for them but also for me. I thought it would be a good idea to return to a quiet home in case I need to head straight for bed!!

Mel66- Thank you for sending your best wishes. I am now trying to visualise the room where I will spend most of my afternoon. What a sight! It sounds a bit like the hospital ward where I had my surgeries. I am taking my iPod in case it all gets too much and I need to shut down... Not sure I'll be able to focus on my book. You've been doing so well. Some posts here are so reassuring and it really goes to show that chemotherapy isn't as bad as they say for everyone. Enjoy your evening! Hoping I too can have one of them next week.

Niceemee- Thanks! Sorry to hear about your situation at work. It's really tricky. Besides some people don't probably know what to say so they don't say anything. Try not to let it upset you too much. Focus on yourself and enjoy the support you have from the ones who love you.

Have a lovely day everyone. xxx

And good luck to anyone starting this week too.
Highlighted

Bless ya Mel66

You take it easy & hope you enjoy your eve with the girls 👭 I'm sure they'll manage to keep you entertained whilst they're drinking wine!! 😀 Take it easy. B xx

Highlighted

Thanks Niceemee 😘 Keep your chin up xx

Highlighted

Good luck today Kate! 💕

Fingers crossed all goes well. & hope you're OK in the days to follow!. Keep us posted on how you are if you can.

Thinking of you with love & best wishes hunnie 😘  B xx

Highlighted

Morning ladies.
Good luck to those starting today. The first one feels like a huge deal... the point of no return! It feels rather bizarre sitting there in the armchair with nothing to do but drink the endless supply of cups of tea that keep arriving. The veterans in the armchairs dotted around the room sit chatting and reading books like it's a coffee morning. All quite reassuring really!

My SE have been pretty minimal. Hangover feeling reducing by the day. Still feeling wiped out and a bit ikky but have managed to avoid any vomiting. Just need to keep having a lie down and snooze. Sleep was a bit patchy last night due to aching limbs from the waist down.. possibly due to the injection I had yesterday to boost white blood count? I can no longer stand tea or coffee and just drinking very watered down fresh fruit juices. Marmite, one of my favourite things in the world, makes the roof of my mouth swell up. Other than that, I think I've got off very lightly so far.

The girls are all coming over tonight... I have warned them that I won't be up to the usual wine drinking fest and that I may fall asleep on them.. but they seem undeterred! It'll be nice to have their company though and listen to their holiday tales.

Hope everyone has a good day. xx
Highlighted

Hi Katie 27 hope you are able to have your first FEC it's worry thinking it may be delayed due to infections etc.
PaulS I have been upset with people mine has been work colleagues. I am a receptionist at a small vets and have been very close to my manager and boss they have been for meals and even stayed overnight when the weather has been bad (we live 5mins walk away). As for all the other employees there have been get togethers and I actually work alongside another receptionist. I have been off work since the beginning of June but I haven't heard from anyone I had 1 get well card when I had my first op in April but since then nothing. This has really upset me as I have put myself out in the past to help out if we have been short staffed done split shifts etc. the only reason my manager knows what is happening is because I have text to let her know. I have made excuses for them thinking they don't probably know what to say but a text wouldn't hurt just to say "hope you are ok". I am on Facebook and some of them are friends and I have put what is happening but I don't even get a "like" or comment. I feel like I have been cut off and it's as if I have never worked there. So I fully understand how you must feel xx
Highlighted

Good luck for this afternoon Bevster. Try not to worry too much about starting your treatment tomorrow it's not half as bad as you might be imagining😊x
Highlighted

Good morning!

Hope everyone slept well or ok enough.

I struggled to drop off but partly because I have a cold (which my little girl has had for about a week) & was shivering in bed. Not a great start with having my 1st FEC later today. Hopefully it won't be a problem. Up early but I expected that & with the kids nothing unusual!

Bevster - It will feel "real" today but you will also be given valuable information about your treatment. Good luck with everything.

PaulS - Family can be a strange thing. My mum, even though she does ring me now and again & deep down cares I'm sure, hasn't really been there for me through out my journey. She probably can't cope with it. If this was happening to my daughter I know I would go out of my way to support her. But, we are all different, aren't we? My sister has been fab & regularly checks on me. She works closely with a lady who has been affected by BC twice so I think she understands this a lot better. I also have a brother and he's been pretty good too considering that he's busy and we're not very close to start with. My friends have been very supportive and that's been great. As for our hair, it is such a huge thing on top of everything else. I too have cut my hair short, in a pixie style and despite the fact that it actually suits me it's not by "choice" so it took some getting used to. Fingers crossed it will help with the cold cap. I would quite like for my wig to stay in its box!

Warm thoughts to all of you. xxx
Highlighted

Morning luvlies......how are we all today?

A restless night for me 😟 was dreaming vividly & my mind just wouldn't shut down! Think subconsciously as FEC day looms I'm starting to be anxious about it. Thankfully my boyfriend sensed I was awake & gave me a reassuring chat at some unearthly hour....bless him! 😇 He was up at 6 to travel to work!! 

So it's my pre-chemo assessment this afternoon......fingers crossed will be on track for FEC tomoz & then it's my venture into 'the unknown' for a while 😞 Thankfully all your posts have made this next stage much easier to face & I know I'm not dealing with this alone 👭👭👭👭

Hope you all have a decent day. Sending love. B xx 😘

Highlighted

Hi Toria42, 

My goodness, if you can't have a meltown from time to time then we need to remind you just what you are coping with!!!!  You are doing great!   Being strong all the time is just so tiring both physically and emotionally and it seems fine to me that sometimes we just can't cope. Wine and chocolate both sound fab - go for it.  I can't have either at the moment as I am diabetic and getting BS levels under control, so I go for the vicarious pleasures of watching other people enjoy them. 

Today I felt weepy as I got my long hair cut, and a fringe put in.  I didn't actually cry, but felt like it.  This is me taking control in case the cold cap doesn't work for me.  Our hair is so much part of our identity, and our identity has already been challenged as we are now 'cancer patients'. I'm struggling with this.  

I have two sisters. My younger sister has been mavellous, and I told her from the outset and she has come to results meetings with me and supported me. I called my older sister a week past Friday to tell her, and even though she knows what is happening I have heard nothing now for nearly two weeks. I know this is because she can't cope, but it has really upset me. So, I completely understand how you feel. It is hurtful, and it makes no difference if they are busy people - a five minute call would be enough to show she cares!

So pleased you continue to escape the worst of the side effects - fingers crossed for you that this continues!

Stay strong Toria42, and all you lovely ladies out there. 

P x

Highlighted

Hi Toria42 I have a varicose vein which has turned into phlebitis at first it was very red hot and really painful it has settled down a bit now it looks like a huge bruise. The doctor did check my calf as I think that is where you can get a dvt but although it is tender it's not red and it's not hard. I would see you GP if you are worried it will put your mind at rest. Hope you enjoyed your glass of wine. I was looking forward to a glass of Rose on Saturday but I was so disappointed as it didn't taste right😏
I'm off to bed now. Goodnight to all xx
Highlighted

Toria42 

The chocolate sounds good!! Go for it 😘

Bali2001

I was considering pouring myself a glass of pinot grigio & have now been convinced as it's only right that you don't endure your large red alone 😜 Cheers!! 🍷

Will bid everyone goodeve & will tune in tomoz. Take care all & hope we all sleep well & feel OK tomoz. 

Much love.....B xx 😘

Highlighted

Hi everyone.

Pleased to say I'm still doing good re side effects etc but had an emotional melt down at 4am this morning. Poor hubby didn't know what had hit him. The worst part was feeling that I had no right to feel so low considering how well I've been after the first session of FEC. I can't quite explain what it was all about. But oh I how I longed for my old pre BC life back. I'm sure all of us have been here at some point. I also have a really big family (one of 😎 I'm number 7 aged 43 and in my imagination if it were one of them going through this I would bend over backwards to make sure they were doing ok. We all live within 10 mins drive of each other (some could walk) but only two have really made any effort to check on my well being. I then feel really selfish/guilty expecting "attention" from them as everyone's so busy etc. My husband has one sister who lives over 30 miles away and she constantly visits and texts me - she's truly lovely too. Thankfully hubby wiped my tears, gave me a hug and kicked me into touch. I'm sorry to be so negative I just really wanted to vent this. I hope everyone else is doing ok. I know some of you had/have your first cycle this week, I pray you are as fortunate as most of us thus far. Thinking of you all xx

Bali I have a work colleague who has lymphoedema following BC and she says the symptoms are really manageable I'm not sure if this helps but hopefully you'll be fine, stay positive. X

Niceemee it's good to hear from you. I'm sorry to hear you have phlebitis. I had to google this! Can you tell me more about the pain in your leg?
Since yesterday I have a had a really bad pain in the back of my leg and sole of my foot, today I have been limping as it's hurts when I put weight on it. I didn't think it was connected but now I'm concerned. I did a quick google and there's something called neuropathy? Does anyone know anything about this? Maybe a trip to the GP tomorrow might solve it! I can't believe it's only been a week it feels like forever already!

I think I need chocolate- that always helps :-). Xx

Highlighted

Still a bit grumpy but been busy so good distraction .......I am a bit snappy to say the least!! Nothing a big glass of red with my dinner won't fix I am sure 😄 thanks Bevster ...... It does help to have a moan on here though😄 xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Bali2001

Just wondering how you're feeling this afternoon?

Hope your distractions have helped you along hunnie.

B xx

Highlighted

Hi Bali2001

Just wondering how you're feeling this afternoon?

Hope your distractions have helped you along hunnie.

B xx

Highlighted

Went to see lymph nurse and they measure you etc do various bits and bobs ,........ I am 2 centimetres bigger which is outside the normal ....... Got excercises and massage to see if it improves . Didn't get my duvet day either as hubbie decided to come back from business trip early so had to get up and pick him up and now my son needs to go out and buy supplies as he is moving out next week ( that will make me sad as well) so not allowed a day sulking! Was quite fancying the idea! 😄😄
Highlighted

Good morning to you all. I haven't checked in for a while but having been keeping up with all your posts. I have been having problems with my leg as I have developed phlebitis and it's so painful.
Bali 2001 sorry to hear you are having a bad day. Try not to worry too much about the lymphadema I was told I had the start of it but I use and excersise my arm all the time and although under my arm is swollen and uncomfortable the rest of my arm hasn't swollen very much. Try to stay positive and look after yourself. 💝
Mel 66 congrats on getting your 1st session out of the way the spaced out feeling will go. I didn't feel very well for about 5 days after. Feeling sick, very red face and no energy but I listened to my body and relaxed when I needed to. I feel a bit of a fraud as my SE have been minimal - hopefully it's the same next time round.
Alijay I too got my wig before my first session I went with my friend and we had a good laugh especially when they put the little cap on - I thought now I have a some idea of how I will look. Frightening🙈 I bought a couple of bandanas from Annabandana they look really good and very light cotton very inexpensive too they are elastic cared at the back so no messing.
Eileen B I am on day 13 of my 1st session so it was interesting reading your post as to how your head felt. I will know what to watch out for, the top of my scalp has felt a bit tender but as yet no hair coming out. I was sat waiting to see doctor the other day and I said to my partner I wonder what my head will look like I hope I have a nice shape head lol
Bevster I am with you there about taking the dog for a walk🐶 it definitely makes you feel better even tho sometimes you don't always want to go.
Take care everyone. It's good to keep reading all your posts makes me feel I am not on my own xx👭
Highlighted

Sorry to hear you're having a rough day Bali2001. What a blow about the lymphoedema. How do they know you've got it if there's no swelling? Poor you, another thing to deal with on top of everything else. Just a reminder to any ladies suffering from heartburn (from the steroids), I mentioned previously that I was 'managing' with Gavison but it wasn't really doing much good. When I saw the oncologist in my second week he prescribed Lansoprazole (one a day, an hour before food). This time the heartburn kicked in on the afternoon of my second FEC, which surprised me as it didn't happen till day 4 last time. I've been taking the Lansoprazole since then and can honestly say I haven't had a moment of heartburn since, so if any of you are struggling with it, get to your GP. Hugs to all. Cope whichever way you can and remember that no-one needs to apologise for having a moan, that's what we're all here for. Eileen xx
Highlighted

Have a good day 27 Kate!! Good luck for tomorrow hunnie....I'll be thinking about you.

Going to keep busy here too. Think will take my dogs out for a nice long walk this morning....find it very therapeutic. 🐕🐕

Take care. With love 💜 B xx

Highlighted

Morning all.

Sounds like a day of mixed feelings ladies 😟

Eileen B - Thanks for the tip re Annabandana! I had a brief look at the site & there look to be some nice items on there. Hope your SE's continue to be few & far between x

Mel 66 - Well done!!! You're 1treatment down ☺ Hope the hangover feeling abates soon & SE's are manageable. Perhaps have some red wine anyway 😋 

Bali2001 - Sorry to hear you're feeling rough & now having to deal with lymphoedema!! 👎 Reiterating alijay, no need to apologise for feeling grumpy - feelings & problems shared are hopefully halved. Tuck in under that duvet & listen to your body. Tomorrow is another day on the road to full recovery hunnie 😘

Alijay - Good luck with the wig shopping! Go funky 😀 I'm sure your daughter will make sure you look great!! Think I should make an appointment to look at wigs too.

Here's a laugh for you all....my boyfriend reckons he's gonna draw a face on the back of my head if/when I have to shave my hair off!! 😈 Told him he'll be freaked out in the night if he wakes to find the back of my head staring at him LOL!!! 😁 

Take it easy everyone. Sending love & best wishes 💕 B xx

Highlighted

Good morning,

Alijay - that's how I feel about wigs! They are good, some are very good too but there are definitely some that look "wiggy" as my husband says. You need an honest opinion because there is so much choice. I think I will still wear hats over mine if I do get to wear it. Bring on the autumn! It's definitely a confidence thing. At the hospital yesterday there seemed to be a mix of wigs, headscarves & beanies - maybe more wigs ...

Bali2001 - you will cope, it's yet another shock and you are right, how much more can we all take? BC is cruel and particularly to some. It's totally normal to moan and feel angry. That's one of the reasons we're all on this forum, that and getting support & advice from others going through a similar journey or symptoms. It is bloody hard but you will be fine. Try to stay positive. It's so important. Also it may be mild and there must be lots of things you can do to relieve pain & swelling when it happens. A day under the duvet sounds lovely! Take care xx

Mel66- We'll done for going through your 1st FEC. One down for you. Fingers crossed you stay SE free. I have been given the same tablets as you for anti nausea & sickness. My oncologist said they were very good. So you felt like a good hangover hey! So many ladies describe their first SE like that. I haven't had one of those for a long time but had plenty of practice too 🙂 Not looking forward to that awful feeling again and hoping that it's all I get. Have a good rest. xx

Will continue keeping busy myself today to take my mind off tomorrow. Been very active the last few days and it's really helped with my nerves. Have a good day everyone. xxx
Highlighted

Thanks Eileen and Kate, I collect my wig(s) on Friday, couldnt decide on one when I tried them before so I'm taking my 17 year old daughter with me, I know she will give me an honest opinion Smiley Very Happy  Think I will go with scarves and the soft turban things around the house and wig for going out.  The wigs really are very good but I need to get over my fear that they still look like wigs and everyone will know!

Mel, hope you are feeling ok this morning. It is kind of  a relief to get the first over with, not nice watching the red stuff going in as Eileen said,  but if its doing its job bring it on I say!!!

Bali, just seen your post as I was was about to post mine.  Sorry you're feeling down, but you musn't apologise for being grumpy, you're allowed!  It's so hard knowing life will never be the same but we will get through this and be able to enjoy life again, although I know that seems a long way off right now.  Have a duvet day (i've had loads of those) and take care of yourself xxx

Highlighted

Morning ladies ....... Rough start today for me ....... Been told I have the start of lymphoedema 😞 yet another thing to deal with on top,of everything else. I was a bit numb at first as just didn't expect it as I look fine, no visible swelling etc. it's hit me today though and I am really down. 😞 sorry to be grumpy but I was so pleased re chemo SE being good etc this has made me so depressed. How much more can we deal with? It's so hard to accept that my life will never be the same again 😞😞 sorry girls moan over , will have a duvet day and try and pull myself together! Hope all you are all doing okay re SE xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Mell66. Isn't it awful going for the first one, it really does feel like the point of no return. I scared myself to death watching the drugs go in (that bright red Epirubicin just looks so evil! And is responsible for not only your red diarrhoea but also the hair loss). The nurse could see I was freaking out so she started chatting about holidays (hers of course, not ours - we have had to cancel 2 weeks in Los Angeles - bloody cancer!). After that the time just flew by and I felt so glad the first one was out of the way. I wasn't even worried the night before my second FEC this week. As for the hair loss, it's not complete yet, I am hoping that the Epirubicin will work its 'magic' on the hairs on my legs this time, because if I've got to spend months wearing a wig there had better be some compensation - no more shaving my legs for a while I hope! Hope all you ladies are feeling as well as can be expected today. I am still nausea-free since my FEC on Monday, taking my last anti sickness tablet this morning and still keeping my fingers crossed. Eileen xx
Highlighted

Hi All

First fec yesterday. Was a bawling mess beforehand but fine once it got underway... point of no return and all that...!

So far so good.... was given Emend to take beforehand and together with the antisickness drugs given iv, I just feel like I've got a bad hangover, but without the headache. I've had plenty of practice with them so I can handle that... knew my love of red wine would come in useful! Lovely shocking orange diarhorea too!

I'm really not looking forward to the next bit... hair loss... but I'm sure, like all you fab ladies on here, when it gets to it I will deal with it as we have dealt with everything else so far. I opted out of the cold cap so it's just a matter of time... Will check out Annabandana.. thanks for the tip Eileen. 🙂

Highlighted

Hi serenity58, my line date hasn't confirmed yet, I was just told today the chemo unit will refer me to have it done hopefully before my 3rd round in 2nd Sept.xx
Highlighted

Hi Alijay. I had my head shaved by a lady at the wig supplier - you could certainly get someone to do it for you at home though. My scalp was really sore too - it felt sort of bruised all week and the feeling gradually spread all over. However I am pleased to say that the soreness went away immediately. Eileen xx
Highlighted

Hi ladies,

Bevster - Good thing you checked with your hospital. My 1.30pm appointment on Thursday seems to have taken everything into account. I asked the nurse how earlier I should arrive ,because of the cold cap, and she said everything is built in the given time including whatever is done on the 1st treatment. She did tell me to bring a warm jumper though. I am planning to take a couple & a blanket & a flask of hot tea! We are definitely going to be "cold" aren't we? Let's hope it isn't too uncomfortable and that it works. Positive feelings ...

PaulS - I will definitely let you know what it's like. I don't like "cold" so I think it will be very hard for me. I had to move seats at the hospital earlier because of the wind coming through the open window. I am in for a good time with a freezing helmet on my head 🙂

Fiona00 & Serenity58 - What is a Grosheng line?

EileenB - Thank you for the best wishes. It sounds like you have taken the bull by its horns, good for you. I took a look at that website the other day, you are right, they have nice looking & affordable hats. I reckon you will definitely use them at night too. Up until now, I had never really thought about our hair keeping us warm!

Alijay - Thanks for the kind wishes. The hair loss sounds so hard & so unfair too. What's your "coverage"plan? I hope you are doing ok.

Take care all. xxx
Highlighted

Thanks Eileen, I'm sure I will feel much better when I've got it over with, it's driving me mad itching my neck, also my scalp feels all sore.

Did you get someone to do it for you at home or go to the hairdressers (don't fancy that much!)

Ali

Highlighted

Hi Fiona00 ~ yes of course I will let you know how it goes pending how I feel after first chemo of course 🙂 When are you due to have your line fitted? Serenity
Highlighted

Hi serenity58 could u tell me how u feel about the Grosheng line when u have it, I am supposed to have the same
Highlighted

Hi Alijay. I was in the same position last Friday, with handfuls of hair coming out. I decided to bite the bullet and had my head shaved. I can honestly say it has been liberating and feels as though I've finally had a chance to take control of SOMETHING! Also, it would have been more upsetting to carry on losing such quantities of hair over the next few days, a constant reminder of what was to come. I say go for it! (One word of warning - it is surprisingly chilly when you've no hair, so get crafty with scarves etc. as you won't want to wear a wig all the time. I wear my wig when I'm out and scarves at home. There's also a great website called Annabandana which sells sleep caps for £2.00 each - I've bought five and will wear them at home as an alternative to scarves. Might actually need them for sleeping in come the winter. Good luck to those of you who are a starting chemo this week. I had my second FEC yesterday and, thanks to the wonderful antisickness drug Ondansetron (IV yesterday and pills twice a day at home, until tomorrow morning) I have again had no nausea or vomiting (so far so good). Feeling very fortunate. Love and hugs to all you brave ladies. Eileen xx
Highlighted

Urgh! Hair coming out in handfuls now, I'm leaving a trail of hair around the house, wish I'd had it cut really short now!!  Think I need to get it shaved off asap Smiley Frustrated

Good luck everyone who is starting their chemo this week.

Take care xxx

Highlighted

Hi 27Kate. Thanks for the insight. Looks like we're only a day apart so we'll have to see how we fair together. 

I've also opted for cold cap. Am mindful, from a post I read on here, to take warm clothing as I think the 'brain freeze' can make you feel chilly!! 

I have had a bit of a debacle with hospital today as I just received a text to say my apt was 2pm on Fri presumably for my chemo 😷 I rang to check detail as knew that would need to be in majority of day & thought 2pm was a bit weird!! As I thought, I do need to go in for bloods etc the day before & I actually need to be at hospital for 9am on Friday!! 

Feeling a bit anxious now & only hope that I am starting chemo Fri as am revved up for it....sad & crazy as it seems 😛 

Hope all goes well for you Kate. Stay positive & strong.

Sending 💕 B xx

Highlighted

Thanks P! 😃

Will keep you posted.

I've opted to give cold cap a go as well as Kate so we'll see how we get on with that. 

😘 B xx 

Highlighted

Thanks P! 😃

Will keep you posted.

I've opted to give cold cap a go as well as Kate so we'll see how we get on with that. 

😘 B xx

Highlighted

Hi all,
2 more sleeps for me Bevster! I had my 1st clinic appointment this morning where I found out I will be having FEC-T ( 3 FEC and 3 Taxotere). I was explained the super long list of side effects of both regimens then asked to sign some consent forms. I was weighed & had my bloods taken. I was also given some anti nausea tablets. That was pretty much it. It wasn't too bad but obviously the big day is yet to come ... I think I am ready for it now. Today it all felt very real indeed!
Lots of love to everyone & best wishes.
K xx
Highlighted

Best of luck Bevster - so hope it goes well for you and there are minimal side effects. 27 Kate - do let me know how you get on with the cold cap! Serenity58 - will have fingers crossed for you on Thursday. Take care everyone. We will get through this!
P x
Highlighted

Hi ladies.

How are we all doing today? 

3 more sleeps on chemo countdown for me! Have just spoken to hospital & am in for pre-assessment on Thursday afternoon then hopefully all systems go for 1st FEC on Friday. Just wanna get started now 😱 

Sending love & best wishes 💖 B xx

Highlighted

Thanks mel51 I will keep that in mind...... I think it's all the more of an issue as it's my husbands birthday and we are going away overnight and I was dreading it spoiling the day for him 😞 I will try and think of it as only a brief shed rather than the end of my hair if it happens 😄xxxxx
Highlighted

Hi,
I am intending on trying the cold cap on Thursday so thanks Mel51 for sharing your experience of it. It sounds like it worked pretty well for you. I have already cut my hair short (I went from long length to medium length gradually then thought let's just cut it again as I had read in a few places that it did help with the cold cap if hair was short). I also went for a wig fitting today ( in case things don't go to plan !) and got something really similar to my own hair. I am quite happy with it and we even managed a laugh in the salon. My husband kept asking I tried all sorts on!
Thanks PaulS for the welcome. I feel like you at times then I manage to pull myself up. I am on sick leave as I simply couldn't manage in work at the moment (not a place for the faint hearted at best of times) besides I have decided that I am focussing on myself, relaxing, eating well, exercising, informing myself, getting through this and looking forward to seeing the new light on the other side if the tunnel!
xx

Highlighted

Hi there ladies,
Hope you don't mind me dropping in from the March thread but a few comments really hit home with me.
Toria 42 a- I know what you mean about feeling like a fraud! I felt like this, but over time I just decided that I needed to dedicate as much time as possible to me and my recovery. I love my job and miss not being there, but once you're in the building people assume you're back to full health.
Bali 2001 - I tried the cold cap and it worked for me. I thought that it was shaving time at around day 17 when I lost A LOT of hair. This continued until day 22 when it slowed down. I continued to lose hair throughout but only little bits after washing. I guess the point I'm making is that you need to try and keep with it even if you lose a good chunk of it on day 17 as it could just be a one-off. I had some very thin patches at the side, but now it has filled in and I have very short hair but a full head and I finished on June 27th.

Chin up ladies as the end will soon be here. Make the most of your good days and take your duvet days when you need them. Xxxx
Highlighted

Thank you do much for this booksandwine - such useful information. Good to hear that you are doing do well and are nearly there. I like you am upset about work and about losing out. I do not work somewhere that deals well with illness - they will simply get someone else to do my job and I have worked so hard to get there. And I can't bear the thought of them feeling sorry for me or seeing me in a headscarf, so depressing, but I'll get over it.
Highlighted

Chemo Countdown!  After several postponements and veins being unsuitable for a picc line ~ On Thursday

morning I am to have a Groshong Line fitted under sedation and then in the the afternoon the first Fec. 

Would have preferred chemo on another day ~ Has anyone else had both on the same day?

Serenity 😕

Highlighted

Hi 27Kate and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support here, our helpline is open during the week 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 and our team are here with practical and emotional support for you

Here's a link to the treatments area of the site where you will find lots of information and further support ideas:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC