358403posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treatment starting August 2014

Highlighted

Re: Treatment starting August 2014

Hi,  I have just signed up to the forum after having my first lot of chemo yesterday.  I am worried as i feel ok, i was expecting to feel really awful.  I have been taking all the suggestion medication i took away with me, and apart from feeling tired, although i put alot of that down to being petrified of starting the treatment. I had surgery at the end of June, and i would rather have had another operation, that start the chemo!  I appreciate each course will get harder, but all being well my chemo should be finished before christmas.  I opted for the cold capping for this course only, as i get married in two weeks time, and if i can keep my hair for the wedding that would be great.  Although i have now worked out, if it does go, it will be bang on the wedding date, not ideal, but never mind

Highlighted

Hi girls!

Some of today's posts have been so funny!

Mel66- When I was a kid, my piano teacher' wig blew off in the wind in the school yard. I can't forget his face!! To the day I still laugh my head off just picturing it. Up until that day, it was a bit of a myth you know, we weren't sure whether he did or not. 🙂 Watch that wind now! xx

Bali2001- Thinking about you. Hope all goes well and you can just crash tonight. A big tick in your chemo boxes!!

Bevster- Hi, hope you are still well. I couldn't see myself going back to work these days. I have been off since the Easter holidays. To begin with it was more because I couldn't handle what had happened to me (my diagnosis & journey wasn't a straightforward one) and it took me some time to deal with things. Now it's the rest of this "package", between the surgical procedures & recovery and now chemo I couldn't possibly work. My work doesn't offer flexibility either so it would be everything or nothing. My GP advised I took it easy until I had completed at least all my treatment. I also need some energy left at the end of the day to look after my little ones.

Hope all went well with everyone who had chemo today. Wishing you all the best & as few SE as possible.
I am really tired but I think only because I overdid today. It was school shoes day. Had to be done. Hairdressers tomorrow - and no, it won't be for me!! 🙂 I have had my hair cut 3 times in the last 4 months so that would be a bit greedy ...

Talking about hair, I found 5 hairs on my pillow this morning!!! I haven't given it much thought so we'll have to wait & see ...

Lots of love. xxx
Highlighted

Funny you should say that Bali.... I had a fit of giggles yesterday driving when I saw my hair flapping about in the rear view mirror and had a sudden vision of the driver behind's face if it blew off and landed in a clump in the middle of his windscreen. I did get told of a lady who went out for a walk and her fringe literally blew off in one piece in a gust of wind! 😄 x

Highlighted

Lol....Bali you've made me chuckle with the car vision!! Good job we still have our sense of humour eh 😀

Hmmm me thinks you need to work on your hubbie slightly 😉 a sarnie & coke doesn't quite have the same wow factor as a new car.......still you'll be fuelled up 👍

Hope you get your chemo fix soon then you can get back to home comforts! Good luck 💕 B xx

Highlighted

Ditto bevster been off since may ...... Did a bit from home at first but my mental state was so bad it was a waste if time ....... Now my doc won't let me work because if infection etc and to be honest I have so many appointments etc I don't know when I could fit in work ..... Plus all the SE days. My counselor just told me to be kind to myself and stop worrying about other people just work on getting well.
Still stuck at hospital as my count was low so had to be re tested , luckily it was okay so I am now waiting for them to get my chemo from
The pharmacy ....... Got here at 9.30 but looks like I will be here all day! Just glad they can do it though 😃 get another one marked off!
I have just had a funny vision of me driving roof down hair flying behind me😃😃 literally !! I am leaving a steady trail wherever I go 😃 did suggest car to hubbie but he just got me a sarnie and coke out of Gregg's ...... Not quite what I hoped for 😃😃😃😃 xxxx
Highlighted

Hi P

To be honest I've been off work since mid June. Must admit at times I feel like a fraud but initially my emotional state was so draining I just couldnt cope with the pressure of my job & commute along with everything else.

I was told by my BC nurse that some do work through chemo but as I feel at the moment I know I couldn't give my role the 100%+ that it requires. Although my work friends & colleagues are great, I know that once my bum's on that seat then it's full on work work work.

I'm also conscious of low immune system during chemo & so feel it wise to just be cautious & not expose myself to a busy office environment where potentially easy to pick up germs/bugs etc.

I think it's down to how you feel in yourself but don't overdo it. We need all our strength to fight for our health.

B xx

Highlighted

Get out there while the sun shines Mel66! Re parking charges, I am lucky that, due to needing chemotherapy, I was given a carpark permit which allows me to park at both of the hospitals I need to attend for the various appointments (chemo at one hospital, physiotherapy etc. at a different hospital where I had the mastectomy). Pity it's not the same everywhere! I am attending the Royal Preston and Chorley hospitals in Lancashire. I have 2 appointments this week and 3 next week, so it is saving me a lot of money. Speaking of next week's appointments, I was offered 'complementary therapy' at my pre-chemo assessment, given that I described my anxiety, on a scale of one to ten, as a seven. (I was being conservative, it was more like 9.75). I am having a massage on Monday in the chemo unit, so I'll let you know how it goes as you may all be entitled to these type of therapies. I am finally going to fitted for a prosthesis next week as well, ten whole weeks after my mastectomy. It was supposed to be six weeks, just to allow time for the wound to heal, but presumably they've been too short staffed over summer to fit me in any sooner. Been 'managing' with a softie (which is about as much use as putting candy floss in my bra) whenever I go out, and having to wear loose scarves to disguise the fact that one of my boobs is in the right place, whilst the other keeps riding upwards towards my neck! I will be so glad to finally get a proper prosthesis. Rant over. Eileen xx
Highlighted

Hope it all goes well for you today Bali, Lucklass and Niceeme and you have as few SEs as possible. Bali... I reckon your hubby should definitely buy you a new car. Tell him that I thoroughly recommend it as the best antidepressant available without a prescription! 😄

PaulS... I have read on here of some ladies who have worked through chemo. I think it very much depends on how you feel, the type of job and your possible exposure to bugs. Bearing in mind week one after you'd probably be too wiped out to work and week two when the immune system is completely wiped out it would be unwise to be in an environment where you could pick up any bugs and viruses floating about, that would only really leave week 3. Working from home would be an option if it was possible.

I had a great day yesterday. Worst of the SEs all gone, first day that I didn't have to take an anti sickness drug, energy levels back and driving around in my new car with the lid off. I felt positively euphoric! 😄

I was really quite shocked at my physio appointment though how weak I am in my left side at the moment. The physio asked me to push hard sideways with my arm on her arm... which I did. She then said "it's ok, I'm bracing against you so push as hard as you can" to which I replied "I am!". Oh dear! I had the LD flap recon using muscle out of my back... guess it's going to take some amount of time before it builds back up. On the positive side, movement is better than expected and no cording.

Having been at the hospital 8 days in the last 10 days, hopefully I'm not due back down there again till Tuesday. It's costing a small fortune in car park charges. You would think hospitals would have some kind of weekly/monthly pass scheme for patients who are likely to be attending frequently.

Sun out again today, despite the forecast.... think I can feel another trip out coming on! 🙂

Highlighted

Ladies - I wondered if any of you worked throughout the chemo treatments, and if you did how it has been.  I plan to keep working when I can, but realise that this is possibly unrealistic.  I'd value some input on this.

Good luck with whatever you are dealing with today.

P x

Highlighted

Hope all goes very well for you Maxine - good luck. Keep us posted.
P xx
Highlighted

Well done Maxine.

Try not to worry too much....it really isn't as bad as you may think. Hope you have a relaxing day today. Will be thinking about you tomorrow..... Good luck!! 

Sending love 💕 B xx

Highlighted

Morning all you luvlies!

Welcome LuckyLass. Sending ove & support 👭

Good luck to the 2nd sessioners today......thinking of you 😘

I'm happy to report still SE minimal & doing ok .....so far so good. Have a wooly head & feel a bit like have been hit by a truck but it's certainly bearable 👍 It's early afternoons that wipe me out......I seem to go suddenly cold & then just sleep for about 45 mins to regain my va via voom ☺

'Funny' thing is that my boyfriend was graded & awarded his black belt in martial arts street combat last night so he actually looks like he's been hit by a truck!! 🚚 The poor luv is black n blue!! 💗 I'm so proud of him!! 😘 

I've been walkes with our pooches in the sunshine this morning 🐕🐕 & so am going to relax a bit now. Hope you all have a good day. Sending love n hugs 💕 B xx

Highlighted

morning ladies....

thanks for all the tips im taking everything on board .. visit with oncologist went fine yesterday took some blood and explained everything that will be happening  on friday..  She told me i knew more stuff than her about certain things and i explained it was all because of you lovely ladies on here explaining things and she was happy that i had such lovely people to talk too and help me ..... big day tomorrow and believe it or not today im feeling pretty calm about it ... tonight in bed when my brain wont shut down or tomorrow before i go in may be a different matter lol.. hope you are all doing fine and not to many of those nasty Se for any one ...

love and hugs 

Maxine xx

Highlighted

Welcome to the forum LuckyLass. Good luck to those having their chemo today and wishing you as few SE as possible. I am seeing my oncologist today for a follow-up after last week's second FEC. All I will be able to report (given that my heartburn is totally under control this time due to Lansoprazole, my new best friend) is watery eyes (a bit sore and crusty in the morning) and gums that feel as though they've been sandpapered - slightly rough and very pale. Hope they don't start bleeding soon. Also still waking up for a few hours every night, starting to feel very tired during the day. Things could be a lot worse, so I'm not complaining. Have a good day everyone. Eileen xx
Highlighted

Well, here is another one, joining you today - 1st Round. Just waiting for transport.

As it is so near the end of August, I shall probably spend a lot of time on the September thread.

Highlighted

Morning girls 😄
Round 2 today ...... Ticking another one off , at least once you have the first one out the way it's easier as you know what to expect ! Niceemee you are today as well aren't you? There are so many if us on here now I am afraid I can't keep up with what day we all are! Sorry ........ I do think about you all every day though .What makes me very sad is how young you all seem 😞 I am 51 and felt very young to be going through all this .......but I read soooooo many of you have school age children you must be much younger than me. It breaks my heart that you are going through this when you should be just having fun with your kids. It's not easy at any age I know , but it's shocked me a bit I think , I naively thought it was mainly 'older' women!
Sending you all virtual hugs and hope you all have a lovely SE free day xxxxx
Highlighted

Hi girls,

Janemolly- Loved your bra story!! Hilarious stuff! I can imagine that doctor's face!! At least you are looking at the bright side of things and yes this will certainly improve your French. Whereabouts are you? It sounds like you are being well looked after, which is the only important thing.
I can't comment on how one feels past a week of chemo I'm afraid but I certainly felt really "good" today: My first "normal" day with lots on and plenty of energy so I am crossing my fingers it stays this way for the next 2 weeks. My next chemo will be on the 11th Sept if all goes to plan. With the kiddies going back to school next week, I will have plenty of time to myself too and a much quieter house should I need to rest.

Have a lovely evening everyone. And a good sleep. xxx
Highlighted

Hi all - thanks for the welcome.  

27Kate - (and all) thanks for the offer - although I would need to fully comprehend what they were saying in order to be able to repeat it!  the real difficulty is in asking questions at the time, akthough my hubby is far better at French - it's really the medical terms that confuse.  however when i'm through the magical double doors and hubby is the other side it has lead to interesting situations.  One being, prior to a CT scan, the male DR told me to  take my bra off, but not my t shirt.  I did not hear the "not" - he looked shocked when he came in and quickly told me to dress!  He has since done three more procedures - and we now speak a mixture of french and english, both bad at the other's language,  and we understand each other a lot better.  The really good thing is that because all the staff are so lovely - i speak French to them - and they don't mind my mistakes and i'm gaining in confidence - and so my language is improving.  A very positive side effect of cancer.

My next chemo is 9th sept - so i am hoping that next week i will be afr less tired - is this a fantasy - or is it what happens?  

xxxxxxxxxx

Highlighted

Hi girls,

How are you all doing?

Bevster- My house could do with a bit if hoovering too! I may sort that out tomorrow ... we are really doing well, aren't we? Fingers crossed the worst is over for this cycle. xx

Janemolly- Lovely to hear from you. Let me know if I can help with any translation, I am actually French! You are in good hands on the other side of the Channel. But so are we over here too. I have given birth to all my 3 children in the UK, and of course I am now going through this, and I can honestly say I have received and am getting very good care. My medical team has been amazing. The waiting is maybe something that I have found a little frustrating at times. I too got given Emend (automatically) and I used the cold cap too (by choice) so you have reassured me that I am getting a bit of French pampering too. 🙂

Mel66- Hope you've had a nice drive! I would love a new car too 🙂 especially a convertible, how cool !!

Bali2001- Well done! You must be relieved ... And look at the bright side, it's all done now, no more pain looking for veins ...

Maxine- I brought a book and my iPod but didn't use either. My husband kept saying silly things to lighten things up. It's a good thing he disappeared after 15mns of the cold cap or I may have thrown it! The nurse was really chatty. I did drink a lot of water and some tea. I even managed a banana towards the end despite my jaw being clamped up 🙂

Wishing you all a relaxing evening with as few SE as possible. Today has been almost like a normal day for me. I went to my yoga class and it did me the world of good even though I felt a bit "funny" for the first quarter of an hour. We did quite a lot of meditation and focused on very gentle poses so it was a perfect way of getting back into it after a week. I have just spent the last 2 hours playing Legos and Barbies so I am not complaining 🙂

Lots of love xxx

Highlighted

Hi Janemolly....just a quick hello to welcome you to our thread. I hope you find everyone's postings as supportive as I do. Such a shame to see so many luvlies on here but reassuring to know we are not alone on our journeys. 

Sending hugs to you in France 💕 B xx

Highlighted

Thank you for dropping in GillyR. How lovely that firm friendships have been formed out of adversity 👭👭 It's true to say every cloud has a silver lining  

It sounds like we need to get ourselves a proper name for our thread ladies.....any ideas?? 🌺

B xx 😘

Highlighted

Hi there ladies. I was feeling a bit nostalgic, so thought I would drop in and say hi. I was part of the Amazing Augusts last year on here. We started a facebook page for us all and we are still firm friends to this day and have had one meet up and another booked for November. You will all go through the most amazing journey together and it wont be all bad. You will find laughter along the way with odd side effects etc. It feels now like you are at the bottom of a huge mountain to climb, but I promise you that you will all make it and come out of the other side. So good luck to you all and big hugs xxx

Highlighted

Well it's all done girls ..... I didn't have a bed so they don't give stuff to relax without a bed ...... I cheated 😃😃😖😖 had some tamazapan with me so took one 😃 sod it I felt better ..... It's not pleasant but doable ...and over in about 20 mins .. Think hubby might buy me a nice new car for being a good girl ? Won't hurt to ask 😃😃😃😃 sounds lovely lucky girl 😃 I am going to stick my feet up for rest of day ! Xxx
Highlighted

Hi Everyone

I live in France - and have been looking at this forum - and have found it very helpful as I don't understand french enough to ask questions - and it's good to know others are experiencing the same as me.

I was diagnosed 1 month ago (day before wedding anniversary!) and have a treatment plan of 6 mths chemo - then surgery - then radiotherapy.  I started chemo last week - and have decided that the best way of dealing with it is to see it as hopefully geting rid / reducing the cancer. The 4 days after chemo were hell - not helped by having to go back to the hospital, 2 hrs away, the day after chemo for a further bioposy as MRI found another lump.  However since then apart from liveable side effects it's okay.

The French care seems a bit different - they are extremely caring and inspire confidence - but  I am told rather than asked - (which i like - as they know better than me!)   eg  Emend is given automatically - as is the cold cap - no thanks is not an option - I tried!

Anyway - good luck to all - can't work out spell check - so apologies for that.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Highlighted

Nice one Kate!! 

Sounds like you're doing OK too 👍 

Hope you can enjoy another good day today 🌞 

I've already wizzed round with the hoover whilst feeling OK. Making hay whilst the sun shines 😉 At least I know I can rest later if I need to. Just the dogs to walk this afternoon which gets me some fresh air 🐕🐕 

Much love 😘 B xx

Highlighted

Not much use for you now Bali, but a heads up for anyone getting one fitted in the future, I asked for a sedative the moment the picc was mentioned. I was given a prescription for that and also for some Emend so I was all kitted up with the necessary a week before the procedure. I'm such a wuss, I wasn't taking any chances!

Jiordi... I was asked about my experiences with morning sickness and travel sickness at my appointment with the Onc. Since I do have a bad history of both, I was given the super anti sickness drug Emend to take an hour before chemo. Although I did experience nausea after, there was no vomiting so it obviously worked. If you are concerned about that side of things, it would be worth discussing side effect management with them. On the day itself you'll probably find that the chemo nurse will stay with you and talk you through the whole thing. It's really quite relaxed. Other veterans seem to sit there reading books, doing word searches and listening to music. There's a steady supply of cups of tea on hand too.

Niceeme... Hope the bloods go ok. One advantage to having a picc is that I no longer have to cope with them going fishing for veins. You have my sympathy!

Glad everyone is feeling relatively SE free. Day 9 for me now and I'm feeling pretty human again. Woke up with lank, greasy hair again but almost afraid to wash it now incase it falls out. Not that it looks much better for washing!

Back at hospital for physio today... this cancer lark is a full time job! Still.... sun shining so I can drive myself down there with the top down. 🙂
Highlighted

Hi Maxine

Here's a few bits I listed & took with me for my 1st chemo:

Book

Magazine

Mints

Boiled sweets

Scarf

Warm clothes

Something fun to distract you....(perhaps friends can help with this?) 

Hair conditioner ( if you're having cold cap)

To be honest I didn't even open my book or magazine but better to take too much than be stressed watching time tick by.

Hope this helps & good luck for your appointment today. 

B xx 💕

Highlighted

Bali

Thinking of you hunnie & sending a big hug!!! 💟 xx

Highlighted

Oh Bali, try not to worry too much. You must be as relaxed as possible ... Sending you big hugs. We are all thinking of you here. xxxxx
Highlighted

Morning ladies... off to the oncologist today in prep of my first chemo on friday really dying to get it all started and stop the nerves .. would love any advice on questions i should be asking this afternoon  and what i would need for friday ..hope your all having a minimal Se day.. love reading all the posts its really helping to put  my mind at ease 

lots of love

maxine xx

Highlighted

Good morning everyone!

Hope you all had a good night of sleep and all feeling ok.

Bevster- Glad to hear that apart from tiredness your SE are minimal. You are lucky you could get well looked after at your mum's. Like you, I have been feeling pretty exhausted but I can see an improvement since yesterday. I am going for long gentle walks every other day to try to build my strength back up and today I feel a lot more "normal". I managed to take the kids to the park yesterday despite a niggling headache. I am even thinking of going to yoga this morning and going out to see some friends tomorrow. Hope I am not speaking too fast!!

Mel66- Your new car sounds fab! The weather in September can be so nice you may find yourself with the top down a lot more than you'd have in the last couple of weeks. Sorry to read about your A&E experience. I hope you are doing well now.

Chook- Good luck for your scan results today. Hope all goes well. It sounds like you had a lovely seaside break. Giving me ideas ... 🙂

Bali2001- Will be thinking of you. Good idea to ask for as much sedation as they can give you. You will be fine! I think you're doing the right thing sticking with the cold cap. I have read in so many places that hair can stop falling out even if it doesn't look that way so don't give it up yet.

Alijay- So pleased that your 2nd treatment went well and that so far you are not feeling too bad. That's excellent news! It's so reassuring for the rest of us too. Take it easy & have plenty of rest. xx

Niceemee- Good luck with bloods today. Hope all goes well & that you have planned something nice for the rest of the day.

Sorry if I have forgotten some of you. I am still trying to catch up reading on all the posts of this amazing thread. I am so glad I joined you ladies. It's really comforting to know I am not on my own & reassuring to hear that so many of you are doing well throughout your treatment.
Lots of love. xxx

Highlighted

Hi Bali2001. That's not good enough. How things vary from one hospital to another. Good luck today, try to focus on something nice you can look forward to later. Sending a big hug. Eileen x
Highlighted

I am sitting here waiting to have line done ..... They don't give any sedation at all not even a pill!!! Bloody terrified now 😞 not happy at all 😞
Highlighted

Good morning everyone. Just getting myself ready to go to doctors to have my bloods taken ready for tomorrow's 2nd chemo. I hope they don't have a problem as my hand is slightly swollen and vein a bit sore. Took 7 attempts last time so I am really worried.

Good luck for today Chook and Bali.

Hope you carry on with minimal SE Bevster and Alijay and like you say another one down. I'm thinking the same for myself tomorrow.

Mel the car sounds great glad the weather was ok so that you could have the top down and let your hair blow. Unfortunately for me my hair has nearly all gone now, there is one consolation tho my lady garden is also getting very sparse. Just hope I keep my eyebrows and eyelashes. Going to get some falsies today just in case.

Will let you know how I get on with the bloods. Love to all👭👭
Highlighted

Good morning all. Hope you all slept well.

Good luck today Coock & Bali ......thinking about you both.

Mel.....am loving the sound of your new car....good for you!!!!! Enjoy 🚗

Alijay....another session crossed off for you 👍 Hope you have a restful & SE minimal day.  I know what you mean re temperature ....I've been taking mine every morning just to be on the safe side. Thinking that way, at least I've an idea of where my norm is so any major fluctuations I can identify quickly 😕 So far so good!!

Feeling OK again up to now this morning but haven't ventured from bed yet 😉 Was really weak yesterday...no energy & so just listened to my body & rested. Perked up about teatime after anti sickness meds & managed a good night's sleep. Could be a chick flick DVD day today 😀

Have a good day everyone. Take it easy. Sending love 💗 B xx 

Highlighted

Good for you Mel, your new car sounds fab and its so good to give yourself a boost during all this, especially after your birthday fiasco!

Good luck with your results today Chook, and Bali with getting your line fitted, it really does make thing easier.

Pleased you're still getting on ok with minimal SE Bevster and lots of TLc from Mum Smiley Happy

Had my 2nd Fec yesterday and apart from mild headache and feeling a little quesy ok so far.  

Just wondering how often you ladies take your temperature, every day  or just if you feel unwell?  Think I am in danger of becoming obssessive with it!

Tak care everyone, sorry if I've forgotten to reply to anyone but thank you for your messages Smiley HappyHeart xx

Highlighted

I sold my old car during the 6 week 'no drive' period as I knew I would struggle to drive it after the surgery. It had quite a stiff gearbox and I struggled to get it in reverse even just after my SNB. It also had quite a lot of niggling problems which needed sorting and I really couldn't be bothered... I then spent over a month hunting for the perfect car and decided on the Beetle convertible to cheer myself up and for a nice treat in all this horribleness. This one turned up, perfect colour, right price and just 20 miles up the road, right when I was allowed to drive again. Seemed like fate! 🙂
Highlighted

Just love it!  Is the new car a treat to cheer you up, or something you had always planned to get?  I hope you really enjoy driving it. 

Highlighted

Hope it goes well for you tomorrow Chook. I did 9 days away a couple of weeks ago... it does feel good to have a bit of 'normal' where nobody knows of your diagnosis.

2 1/2 hours in oncology for me today... the good news is that the swelling and bruising is due to what they called 'mechanical phlebitis'.. my body just objecting to having a foreign body put in it. So just anti inflamatories and should settle down.

Then to wig salon where I picked up my two new wigs... love, love, love my new hair!!

Then off to buy me a gorgeous duck egg blue VW Beetle convertible and drive 20 miles home, roof down, wigs in boot, bright blue sky and sunshine... wind in my (still my own) hair! 🙂
Highlighted

Good luck with results tomorrow chook .......... Glad your are doing okay Bevster keeping SE under control.
I am still losing hair in handfuls but I still have a full head of hair! I must have a LOT of hair on my head is all I can say . Sticking it out with cold cap Thursday just in case it stops falling out and settles down. Hubbie is out of the country next week and my son is leaving home to start a new Job so I am bound to have a hair disaster when I am here alone!
Getting my line fitted tomorrow so I am very anxious ( that's the polite way of putting it!) , had bloods done today and it was the usual nightmare to get any so the line will be great once it's in , it's just the thought of it 😞 with only a local! I am going to ask for as much sedation as they can give me and I am taking a sleeping pill tonight or I will get even less sleep than normal!
Hope you are all doing okay today keeping SE under control . Big hugs xxx
Highlighted

Good luck for your results Choock, will be keeping everything crossed for you. Glad your seaside break did you good. Hope everyone is doing ok today, with minimal SE. Eileen xx
Highlighted

Hi Everybody
I'm back from at week at the coast and boy do I feel better for it. Just being away from the constant reminders.
Saying that, I went to hospital from my seaside retreat for my MRI results. Spine doc found 'shadows' on the bone. Not sure what this all is so I had a CT scan and a bone scan Friday.
Get results tomorrow when I see the onc. Hoping to have some treatment plan sorted as I'm 7 weeks post op now.
Haven't quite read all your posts from the last week but it sounds like everyone is receiving support and encouragement from the forum.
Hoping this week brings me a bit further forward. Keep strong ladies.
Much love xxx
Highlighted

Hi ladies

How's everyone today? 

My SE's still very minimal which I'm pleased to report. I just have no energy today & feel very weak & tired. Taking it easy with my feet up at my mum's where TLC is top drawer 💕 My boyfriend is frantically texting & ringing from work making sure I'm resting bless him 😃 Will be trying to make myself feel human by the time he gets home from work 💞

Hope everyone is having a decent day. 

Sending love to all. B xx 😘

Highlighted

Hi Mel66

Sounds like a shocking experience at your A&E hunnie! What a way to see in your birthday!! 

Hope you're feeling better now. Especially after a couple of glasses of red which you sure did deserve after all that malarchy!! 

Do keep us posted on the new wig.....but more so new car!!! 🚗 👍

With love..... B xx

Highlighted

Good to log in and see everyone looking so positive! A fair few bald heads starting to appear too... I'm guessing that once the initial trauma is over and done with, it can be a relief to have gotten that bit 'out of the way'? I'm a week in and my hair is just permanently lank and dull.... feels like it needs washing even when I've just done it. Thinking of another shorter haircut this week to prepare. (I got it cut down to shoulder length a couple of weeks ago) I go to pick up my wigs tomorrow (today!) and am taking my 79 year old mum with me.. girls outing! There's every chance I may be coming home with a new car too... watch this space! 🙂

I'm having one or two problems with my picc line at the moment. Got a bit of swelling, soreness and bruising leading up the back of my arm, into my armpit and under my collarbone. I rang the helpline on Sunday evening about it to check it was 'normal' and was told to go straight to A&E to get it checked. Arrived at 10.30pm... got seen by a trainee doctor who had never had any experience of piccs... who then wandered around asking the rest of the staff if anyone had any idea how you take bloods out of a picc. Eventually turned back up and very nervously took a load of blood and told me to go and wait in the waiting room while it went down to the path lab and wait for results. About an hour and a half or so he said...

By this time it was 1.30am and I was feeling pretty squiffy... I had also welcomed my birthday in down there... so I went and asked the guy on reception if I could go home to bed and ring/come back in the morning for the results. Explained that I had recently had chemo and wasn't feeling brilliant. He was so rude! Told me that if I went home then that I would have to come back as a new patient in the morning but that he would tell the doctor that I "couldn't be bothered to wait"!! I was just so p1ssed off, I just left!

Phoned oncology again in the morning and they sent me back down. Fortunately saw a very nice Advanced Nurse Practitioner this time who went through all my blood results, phoned and consulted with oncology and they were happy to see me again today to try to get to the bottom of it.

Hence the majority of birthday spent in A&E... not one of my better ones! Went out for a lovely meal with friends and family in the evening though and had a couple of glasses of red so all was not lost! 🙂

Hope all goes well for you today alijay. 🙂

Bali... I got a couple of M&S mastectomy bras too... They feel remarkably sexy after weeks of the industrial post surgical numbers...!

Hope everyone has a good day. 🙂 xx

Highlighted

Fiona00, I think having both on same day did not help. No pain with stitches. Just have all the sedation and pain relief and you will be fine. 🙂 xx
Highlighted

Hi girls
Well we managed a good evening out and even stretched it out to lunch today 😄 I was in bed for 9 pm though....not quite the party animal I used to be 😄 hair is still falling out in handfuls 😞 I am starting to get a morbid fascination with it!!!
Had the joy of trying to get some decent non wired bras today ........ Was very close to tears after a few stores and there just isn't much choice unless I want to look like my nan! Managed to get a couple out of M & S not brilliant, but a step up from the sports bras I have been wearing post re-con!
Hope you are all having a good bank holiday 😄 good luck for anyone having treatment tomorrow ...........❤️❤️
Highlighted

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all having a "good" day with few SE.

Alijay - Good luck tomorrow! You will be fine. And well done for shaving your hair off, that was really brave & you will probably feel a big relief now. xx

Bevster - Glad to hear your SE are still minimal & that you are doing well. Doing the same on my end. Nothing to report apart from the general tiredness. Listening to my body, napping and relaxing all the way. If my husband wasn't pottering in the bathroom, "trying" to put a shelf up, I think I would be in a nice hot bath now then off for a nap.

Bali2001 - Poor you ... Try not to panic too much. Hopefully it won't go further. Lots of ladies say they loose some and then it stops, or it really thins out, some even end up with the odd bald patches. Hope you have a really lovely evening out and manage to "escape" from it all. Sending you a big hug. xx

Niceemee - Well done to you too. Blimey, what we have to go through, hey!... Reflexology is amazing. I had lots of sessions during my 2 pregnancies. It helped me tremendously. My chemo nurse has actually offered me reflexology for my next treatment, so considering I struggled a bit with the cold cap, I think I will take her on.

Sending warm hugs to all of you. xxx
Highlighted

Hi alijay

Good luck for tomorrow hunnie! Soon be another session under your belt....ticked off & done n dusted....happy days 👍

Doing OK myself.....so far so good. SE's minimal at mo so hoping it stays that way! Just listening to my body & resting when I feel the need 😀 

Hope all you luvlies ladies are having a nice chillaxing bank holiday & coping with everything OK.

Thinking of you all & sending love n hugs 💟 B xx

Highlighted

Good for you alijay. I too found that the soreness/tenderness disappeared as soon as my head was shaved. Also, no more trauma of watching your hair fall out everywhere. Best of luck for tomorrow and for no SE. Hope you're all feeling as well as possible ladies. Eileen xx