345161posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treatment starting August 2014

Highlighted

Re: Treatment starting August 2014

Great news following my hospital appointment. She doesn't think my back lesion is cancer related. It is still infected 3 weeks down the line so more antibiotic ointment (had one lot of antibiotic and steroid cream, a week of oral antibiotics and now an antibiotic ointment to put on). Such a relief!

Hope your op goes well for you today Eileen and you recover quickly. How awful to be having to go through this so soon after finishing all the BC treatment! Life can be so unfair! Big hugs.

Sorbet... I've been doing just 2 afternoons a week in a primary school supporting two year 6 girls and I'm exhausted after just 2 1/2 hours. I think it's having to maintain my focus for so long that I find so tiring. I mentioned the continued brain fog to my Onc at my last visit. I thought it was due to the tamoxifen. She said that it was probably still chemo SEs and it could be another 6 months to a year before it was resolved. Great!

Got my QTS Numeracy and Literacy Skills Tests coming up in a couple of weeks. Now need to try to focus to cram up for them. It's all keeping me out of mischief.

Hope everyone is doing well xxx
Highlighted

Thanks Nicki xx
Highlighted

Good luck for Thursday Mel xx
Highlighted

Lots of love and hugs to you both, Eileen and Mel, and good luck for Thursday, will be thinking of you both lots, take care my lovlies xxx

Highlighted

Hi Bevster

Hope you doing ok with long working weeks. Thinking of you and everyone else. Take care

Love

Sorbet

Highlighted

Hi Mel

I have been meaning to message in a while to say congrats on getting on PGSE course and good for you.

So sorry to read about your recent skin problems and do hope your appointment on |Thursday goes as best it can , thinking of you.

Glad you have been getting more sleep and tablets helping, have been struggling with waking 2-4am and not getting back to sleep until just before alarm clock. Did a few days work at end of term and hadn't realised how tired it would make me. Glad school hols although kids exhausting at home, hoping to catch up on some sleep before work again next term. Thank you for your comments re rest of world saying you  look good and back to pre BC self I agree hard when all think back to normal , I have been ok but now finding it all hard when tired .Good to know not alone.

Anyhow take care and let us know how your appointment goes.

Love

Sorbet

Highlighted

Hi Eileen

So sorry to hear you have to have more surgery, Sorry I can't offer you any advice on that type of surgery but fully appreciate you must be feeling very worried, even harder after last year. Please be kind to yourself and do join any forums. I agree this really helped me through chemo and beyond. We are Still here for you even though don't know much about it, do keep us posted when you can so we know how you are. Take care and do hope you have lots of people to help you near by.

I agree with you re sleep and flushes and tiredness, it's hard.

Anyhow lots of love to you and will be thinking of you lots. Big hugs

Love

Sorbet

Highlighted

Hi Eileen

Sorry to hear you have to go through more surgery, sending virtual hugs, will be thinking of you. We are all here for you xxx

Charity11

Highlighted

Thanks Jo, I may well give the helpline a call. I hadn't thought of that, as what I'm about to go through isn't BC-related but I could do with speaking to someone to help me get my anxiety under control. Eileen xx
Highlighted

Thanks PaulS, that's good to know xx
Highlighted

Eileen - I'm jumping in from the September thread (hope nobody minds!) to say I had a big abdominal surgery some years ago and I was absolutely fine!  I was in hospital 6 days, just as you will be, but apart from getting in and out of a bath I was quite independent after day 2.  I was advised to have a bath each day as I was told to put salt in the water and steep in it for a little while - apparently this helps with the healing process.  I was given a list of things not to do - drive, vacuum, wash the bath, fill the washing maching etc.  which involve bending or could result in sudden jolting (I ignored the driving one, and suffered!).  Same as the breast surgery - keep things immaculately clean and you won't get an infection!  I think we both did that with the BC surgery!  It is a lot to deal with just after the BC, and I'm sure you are completely fed up, but my experience was that it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. Get moving about asap.   I will be thinking about you. I really appreciated all your posts which helped me through the BC treatment.

Take good care of yourself.

Highlighted

Hi Eileen

Sorry to hear what you are having to go through again.  If you need to talk to someone in person and in confidence please don't hesitate to call the helpline here, they're here to support you.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open until 5pm today (weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2)

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Highlighted

Hello everyone

I've not been on here for a while as I've been somewhat preoccupied recently - I am getting ready to go into hospital on Thursday for a total abdominal hysterectomy, a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (same as Angelina Jolie recently had) and the removal of a very large 'subserosal' fibroid (which has grown on the outside surface of the uterus and into my abdomen). Up to 6 days in hospital (over Easter as well!). To say I am utterly terrified is an understatement. It's not believed to be cancer-related, I've had a CT scan and an MRI and they don't reveal anything suspicious, so fingers crossed nothing shows up when they do the histology. After all I went through last year, this just seems too much to deal with. I had already asked the hospital about having a second (preventative) mastectomy due to a very strong family history of BC, but they said the hysterectomy should go ahead first, then I'll need to leave it several months before I can have another anaesthetic. To keep myself as informed as possible I've been googling everything hysterectomy- related but it's making me even more anxious so I'm trying to stop. This is all making it difficult to be objective about my feelings about the BC treatment ending. I am already feeling isolated. I've come across the Hysterectomy Association website which has a forum, but all the topics listed (and the few threads I've dared to follow) are largely horror stories about 'what went wrong'. Maybe I'll join the forum after my op, I know I couldn't have got through the chemo etc. without this forum and all the support from everyone on it, so hopefully it will be helpful and will make me feel less isolated.

Anyway, glad to hear people are slowly getting their lives back on track. I'm not as tired as I was after the treatment finished, though I can still easily nod off watching TV early evening. I'm not sleeping well due to my anxiety about what's to come, so that's not helping. Four months after finishing chemo I have approx. one inch of hair - it didn't grow very quickly before, but this does seem very, very slow. I saw my oncologist about 5 weeks ago for the radiotherapy follow-up and he reckons it will take until Christmas to grow back properly. He's even offered to give me another prescription for a wig if I need it. My hair is very grey now! My eyelashes have been back for a while and my eyebrows are coming on ok. I am doing OK with Letrozole, I've been on it for 3 months now. I've been having hot flushes/night sweats since chemo and I'm still getting them, though I'm not sure if they're getting a bit worse with Letrozole - it's hard to tell, you get so used to these changes. I'm still off work and likely to be for a few more months with the hysterectomy. It's good to see so many of you going back gradually, take things easy.

Hope everyone is doing OK. Lots of love Eileen xx 💜💕

Hi ladies

I'm with you all on the disturbed sleep. I've been on sleeping tablets for the past 6 weeks but only now just about managing to get about 7 or 8 hours in total... although still waking at around 4am... but now able to drop back off. Think it's a combination of Citalopram starting to kick in and the sleeping tablets. Feel so much better since I've been getting more sleep.

I'm feeling a bit nervous (understatement!) at the moment. Having gone to the doctor for a follow up visit for my antidepressants a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned to her that I had had an itch on my back a few days previously and now had a red, raw patch. I wasn't too concerned at the time, I just thought I'd mention it while I was there. She took a look, told me that it was infected and that she was a little concerned about it. She gave me topical antibiotics and steroid cream and told me to go back in a week. A week later and she was still not happy, it was still very infected and looked and felt unusual to her so she gave me oral antibiotics and made an urgent referral to the dermatology clinic. My appointment is on Thursday morning. Possibility of more biopsies. Praying that it's not BC related.

Bev... I had a few reiki sessions while I was going through chemo and really felt that they helped with the stress levels. I felt really quite chilled out after them.

Charity... when I had my final visit to the oncologist a couple of weeks ago, she told me it would be another 6-12 months before I would be fully recovered from the side effects of the chemo. If you're struggling, I would definately ask to extend your phased return. It's really hard when the rest of the world just seem to look at you, tell you you're looking fabulous, and expect that you're now back to your pre BC self. You're not... and you still need to do it at your own pace. x
Highlighted

Bevster did they advise you to drink loads after reflexology? Its supposed to help.
Highlighted

Thanks ladies 😘 

Charity - I totally agree. It's far harder going back to work than I'd ever imagined. Make sure you don't overdo it!! I have regular reviews with my line manager & did have to reduce my phased return plan as I was just exhausted. This week I'm doing 5 days but 9.30 til 4pm so am monitoring how i am as full time fast approaches. Feeling ok this eve but will be tucked up by 9pm 😜 Rock n roll lifestyle eh...lol. 

I had a trial session of reflexology yesterday. It felt ok whilst having it & I really did relax & close my eyes eventually. I thought I would sleep well afterwards but I had the most vivid dreams. Not sure if this was due to the reflexology or just coincidence 😕 

Anyway think I will try the reiki maybe next time....will keep you posted.

Take care everyone. Love n hugz 💕 B xx

Highlighted

Bevster...i had aromatherapy because i wanted to relax. Reflexology can hurt if they work on areas you have problems with but did help with migraine. Reki for me felt odd its a hands near not on approach i believe working by energy flows. I could feel something but dont know if it was just having hands so close to head.
Highlighted

Hi all, hope yon doing OK

Well done Mel, go for it!!

I'm with you bev on the sweats and disturbed sleep, never seem to sleep through night, always wake up with ringing wet night clothes.  Enjoy your therapies whatever you choose, not tried them myself, let us know how you get on.

Am on my 3rd week of a 4 week phased return to work and have found it harder than I thought it would be. Have been off 8 months but workload I have is as though I've only been on holiday for a couple of weeks, may have to speak to manager to extend my reduced hours.

Best wishes to all xx

Charity11

Highlighted

Hi luvlies 😘 

Hope everyone is doing ok & feeling well. 

Mel.....well done hunnie. Good for you!! 👍  

Feeling well myself other than the restless nights sleep due to the hot flushes. I hope they'll subside soon as disturbed sleep is just wearing me out. 

Am off to the Aurora center at hospital tomorrow to schedule in some complementary therapy. Thinking of trying some reflexology &/or reiki. Has anyone else tried either? 

Sending love to you all 💕 B xx

Highlighted

Well done mel...

Just had my first hair cut...now feel it looks like a deliberate style choice not nutty lady. And grey is on trend....not sure about that but running with it...have had to buy different clothes to carry it off ...shame..
A good day...
Highlighted

Thanks Nicki. I was working as a Senior Teaching Assistant when I started my OU degree with the idea of possibly doing a PGCE on completion but I always felt that it would be difficult with a mortgage to pay and child still at home. Then things went a bit pear shaped with my job. I worked through a LA agency providing support for statemented children. Then the current government pulled the plug on funding for these children and the local office for Support Services that I worked for was closed. Due to the financial insecurity, I bought a business.

When I was diagnosed with BC, I had no choice but to put a manager into my business. I had critical illness insurance on both my business loan and my mortgage... .so I am now debt free. Obviously we have a lot of time to think and evaluate our lives while we're going through treatment and I realised that I've always been happiest when I've been working with children. I got a first in my degree, which entitles me to a £9k bursary to do a PGCE, I have no mortgage, my son is now in Uni, I have a manager already in place in my business... so I now find myself in a position to go and do what I wanted to do.

So yes.... this decision is a direct result of BC... and bizarrely, if I hadn't had it, I wouldn't have been able to do it. Silver linings and all that....! 🙂 x
Highlighted

Congrats Mel, fantastic news.  Be interesting to know if you always wanted to do this, and BC was the push you needed to get on with it!

All ok here, not braved going out without the wig, head is covered, but not enough for me, eyebrows and eyelashes came back a while ago!

Hope everyone is doing well

Lots of love

xxx

Highlighted

Hi ladies
Exciting news for me. Had my interview yesterday and I've been accepted onto a Primary PGCE course to start in September. Feeling really positive. Feels like my life is finally moving forward again.

I saw that article about the possible link between putting phone in bra and BC... never did it myself though.

Hope all you lovely ladies are doing well. x
Highlighted

So had meeting...I'm told its a yearly mamograme and they recommend self examination rather than check ups. Not sure about that have asked for an appointment as I'm not sure id feel a lump in amongst my g cup and how the scarring feels now. I've never had a scan just a mamograme that missed the lump i felt it had biopsy and then removal.
The good news is my reoccurance rate has gone down from 33% to around 15% after chemo. So worth the hell.
Strength in style appointment tomorrow cant take dame Judy Dench comments any more Im only 52.

Has anyone put phone in bra in pre bc days?
Highlighted

Hi Mel

Good for you re PCGE and good luck in your interview, are you wanting to do Primary or Secondary? I am going back next term 2 and half days to start with and possibly supply on others, will see how energy lasts on little sleep.

So glad citalaplan helping you sounds a good idea.

Agree with you re extra hair in wrong places.!! Hair on my head white grey at front and top and apparently dark at back, Still hiding under wig as hair that has grown looks awful, have booked to chat with hair dresser tomorrow as unsure what to do re dying and want advice on cut (though not enough to cut but as I never shaved it all just let fall out it is all a bit uneven !) I think someone suggested Daniel Field vegetable natural hair dye but unsure colour to choose as says online cant lighten hair  and as my head looks more like a badger am a bit nervous of dying it myself like I did before.

Anyhow any tips welcome on dye and if safe to now?

Take care

Love

Sorbet

Take care

Highlighted

Hi ladies
Seems like yesterday we were all going through treatment and here we all are skiing, planning travels, going back to work.... don't know about the rest of you, but it still feels very surreal to me at the moment.

I'm still suffering badly from the insomnia and brain fog but was put on Citalopram a few weeks ago and that now seems to have started to kick in. The black cloud and anxiety has definitely started to lift.

I have started working on a voluntary basis for two afternoons a week in a primary school in readiness for the next phase of 'Operation New Life'. I applied through UCAS on Tuesday for a PGCE (teacher training) course to start September and less than 24 hours later got an email inviting me for interview next Wednesday. Yikes!! Application to interview in just 8 days... it's a full day interview; having to carry out a written literacy task, teach a lesson and then interview. Somewhat cacking myself! I set the ball rolling but didn't expect it to fly off at quite this speed!

Hope your hubby is doing ok jannie and you're coping with it all. Must be very difficult for you both.

Good luck for your heart scan Bev. By the sounds of things you are doing great... skiing and everything! I've managed to get my walking up to about a mile but get pain in both my hips toward the end of that (courtesy of the lovely tamoxifen). Trying to slowly build up but it's taking a frustratingly long time.

How's everyone's hair doing? I've just about got a full covering now although it's still pretty thin on top, about 50% of my eyebrows back and a full complement of short, but growing! eyelashes. It's fabulous to only have to slap on a bit of eyebrow pencil rather than drawing on a complete face before I leave the house. Can't wait for my first haircut and dye... it's come back VERY grey! Leg and underarm hair is back with a vengeance and as for the bikini line....! Typical that the most vigorous regrowth is the last place you want it!

My new year diet has been going well... managed to lose a stone and a half of the two stone I put in during treatment but the last half stone remains stubborn. I'm back into most of my wardrobe again though so I'm not worrying too much about that.

Oncologist appointment for me next Thursday.

Hope all doing well. xxx

Highlighted

Hi Bevster

Hope your heart scan goes ok today, thinking of you. So pleased you had fab hols and managed to ski ,am impressed (never been myself so would know where to start!)

Take care hope work going ok , hows sleep? I am with you on night flushes and sleep deprevation not much fun but sure it's all worth it to keep well!

Take care

Love

Annabel

Hi Nikki

You travels sound great, enjoy! Good for you.

Love

Sorbet

Highlighted

Thanks Nikki & Charity. Holiday was great..... Did more skiing than I expected & thoroughly enjoyed being out in the fresh mountain air. It was quite therapeutic in many ways. Pity we had to come home & step back into reality.

I have my second heart scan tomorrow as part of ongoing checks whilst on the herceptin. Will be radioactive again for 24 hours.....like a glow worm!! Lol ☺ So you see what I mean about back to reality....hospital visits galore again but if it keeps me on the straight n narrow, so be it eh! 😜 

Love n hugz to you all. Keep smiling luvlies 😘 

B xx 💕

Highlighted

Good luck for tomorrow Jannie. Stay strong chick & let us know how you get on.

Best wishes to Pete too.

Sending hugz to you both 💕 B xx

Highlighted

Good luck tomorrow Jannie, really pleased your hubby is on the mend xxx

Highlighted

Hi Jannie

Thinking of you 2moro and hope you get all your questions answered.No wonder you are exhausted with this and caring for Pete.Big hugs, take care

Love

Sorbet

Highlighted

Hi jannie hope everything OK on Thursday for you and glad to hear your hubby recovering well.

Hugs to you

Charity11

Highlighted

Great you back to work charity and the well deserved holiday Bevster. I see the onc on Thursday so having a bit of a wobble so many questions on the list not sure i will trust a mamograme seeing what they missed. Feeling tender in the boob but hoping its in the mind. Petes recovering well but caring for him has meant I'm exhausted.
Highlighted

Hi All,

Hope you did lots of skiing Bev, pleased the break did you good xxx

Planning our summer off is coming along nicely, only home long enough to do the washing, check my two are still alive and then head off again, getting very excited about our adventures

Hope everyone is enjoying getting back to normal

Lots of love

xxx

Highlighted

Hi Bev glad you had a good break. It's been very quiet on here.

I returned to work yesterday after 8 months off, just phased in until Easter.

Hope everyone else doing OK

Charity11

Highlighted

Hi luvlies 😘 

Just checking in to see how you all are.

Ok my end.....still struggling with the hot flushes & disturbed sleep but feeling better after my week away 👍 

Sending love n hugz to you all 💕 B xx

Highlighted

Oh Jannie - what good news! Be gentle with yourselves … hugs x x
Highlighted

Thanks Bevster. He is getting better...and eating veg for the first time in his life. Think its hit harder mentally as we had both thought life was starting oh well just a blip.
Highlighted

Fantastic words geeG! Well said & thank you for sharing. Much love 💕 B xx

Highlighted

Hi Jannie - You poor luvlies. Hope your hubby is on the road to recovery & you can move forwards putting the last bleep**ty 12 months behind you ! Sending love n hugz 😘 

Sam - my holiday insurance is thru NatWest Advantage Gold (it's linked to an account). I basically had to pay £96 to cover me for 12 months updating my medical screening so am definitely covered for anything BC related too. 

Hope all you luvlies are staying strong. Sending you all lots of love 💕 B xx

Highlighted

Greetings to all you Lovely Ladies - Thank You to All of You - you have been so encouraging and inspirational - these last six months or so have probably been the most demanding of our lives. But we have been successful in achieving our survival of the demands of our many treatments. We may also find we have gained … resilience in adversity… strength thru our experience of weakness… fortitude from our awareness of vulnerability… all these things - and more - discoveries of Who We Now Are - will help get us thru these next months of Recovery And Catching Up …
Jannie - we are all thinking of you both and hoping these next few weeks give you both the strength and recovery you both need … along with the patience, kindness and sense of humour that you will both need.
Hugs to Everyone x x x
Highlighted

Hi Sam

I used Insure Pink (one listed in Macmillan booklet and give mponey to support breast cancer) they were very nice (compared to others I spoke to last July) and although did ask loads of questions very helpful and not pricey, wouldnt do annual policy . From memory family of 4 insured £40 ish. Hope you find something good and book a wonderful hols!

Take care

Love

Sorbet

Highlighted

Oh Jannie, so sorry to hear about your husband, not what any of your need. Do hope you are up to nursing and things improve. Thinking of you, big hug

.Love

Sorbet

Highlighted

Hi Sam

I am insured through our current account with Nationwide (flex plus). All I had to pay was £100 for 12 months. I did take this out in October last year whilst in active treatment as I wanted to book for June this year. However, who knows if this would now be less as I am now cancer free and just take tamoxifen, will see when I renew it in October. I won't let it stop me from going on holiday.

The Macmillan information book is useful too as this also gives advice etc and lists some companies to get quotes from.

Hope it helps.

Charity11

Highlighted

Just a thought Sam and any other ladies looking for insurance. I don't know of anyone who has tried to make a claim from this company. I haven't got the paperwork through yet so haven't read the small print.
Highlighted

That's great nan66, thankyou!! And so sorry for you all Jannie, that is indeed a **bleep**ty year!! Xxx
Highlighted

Hope you don't mind me butting in.
Hi Sam I have just got annual worldwide insurance with eurotunnel for £ 79. Other companies quoted £770 for 2 weeks.. They just asked if it had a terminal diagnosis and wanted a note on my file from the doc to say I was fit to travel.
Highlighted

Bevster great that you've reduced your hours that should help along with the counsellor.
I've not heard about the hope course yet.
The man upstairs decided we haven't gone through enough and my husband has had a heart attack. Now its my turn to do the nursing. Strange for both of us after all those months but he's doing well. Sticking to our plan of one **bleep**ty year so we will both be better by April.
Highlighted

Hi lovely August ladies, I've just popped in from sept sunbeams as I keep up with your thread, and I noticed a few of you have been on holibobs abroad, will you let me know what insurance companies you have used? I've researched the ones on here and found some good ones but all a bit out of date, so your info would be great!!

Thankyou in advance and I think you guys have been an amazing group, just as amazing as our group, what a great platform this has been eh, technology at it's best! 😜 xxx Sam
Highlighted

Hi luvlies 😘 

Thank you so much for your support & kind words. Am pleased to report that I'm feeling a little better albeit still tired. My line manager has reviews my hours at work & I've reduced the phased return plan for this week. Am now on countdown to my jollies! 👍 

Have had a first session with a counsellor today so am hoping that I'll regain my va va voom once I get all my emotions in some kind of order. Early days but I felt I needed to vent everything I'm feeling to someone impartial & unknown. Will keep you posted on any hints/tips I pick up in due course.

Nicki - your plans for taking time out to explore & live a little sound marvelous!!! Good on ya girl 👍👍👍 

With love n hugz to you one & all. Nite nite 💕 B xx