Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treatment starting August 2014

Highlighted

Re: Treatment starting August 2014

Highlighted

Thanks Jannie 13. I'm not brave at all really. None of us now know strong we can be until we face the tough stuff, and when we are faced with it we just have to get on with it. All the ladies on this forum are incredibly strong, - if they weren't before their diagnosis, they are now because of what they've had to deal with. We've all got hidden depths. Sending love and hugs to all of you
Highlighted

PaulS, thank you for your lovely comments xx
Highlighted

Eileen i think your making the only possible decision you can for any peace of mind. Very hard but so brave. You are an inspiration. X
Highlighted

Bevster great news im still waiting for mine was told it is taking 6 weeks at the moment..
Highlighted

Eileen I am from the September thread but read the August one as you are all ahead of me and you have all kept me going for months. I just want to say I so admire you. You are so kind and positive to everyone else yet you are dealing with so much yourself. Sending you warmest regards and very best wishes.
My friend had two mastectomies and a hysterectomy 25 years ago and she is fine. She had a kind of cancer that was known to appear in both the breasts and the ovaries and womb so she made the decision like you to minimise her chances of this happening. She says it was the best thing she could have done. Take care. P x
Highlighted

Way to go Bev! Wine and takeaway 🍷🍜 Great news about your mammogram result 👍🏻 👍🏻👍🏻 I had a mammogram on my other boob (as I've had a mastectomy) last week so still awaiting the result. It's a worrying anniversary for all of us. I've already asked them for a second mastectomy due to my very strong family history of BC, which I've mentioned a while ago on this forum, and although I would rather not have to undergo any more surgery (especially after my recent abdominal hysterectomy), I know that I will feel less anxious if I can reduce the risk that way. My Mum and her sister both died of BC and I'm the fourth of my sisters to get it. I know it's a very drastic step but when one of my sisters (who had just had one mastectomy for BC) was found to have early stages of BC when she had what was supposed to be just a preventative mastectomy in the other breast, I decided that I must take that step for my own peace of mind. Hopefully it will take place later this year.

Hope everyone is doing well and feeling great. Lots of love Eileen xx 💜💜💜
Highlighted

Hi Nicki - Such sad news. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Dad. Sending a huge hug 💕 

Well ladies after a 2 week wait I've got results of my mammogram......... "Entirely satisfactory" ......I'm hanging my hat on that as another hurdle leaped!! I cried.....with relief!! 👍 

My race for life training is going well.....not so much this eve tho as I sit here with my large glass of wine awaiting the delivery of my Chinese...lol 😝 

Sending love to you all 💕 B xx

Highlighted

So sorry to hear your sad news Nicki.

Charity xx

Highlighted

Hi Nicki

So sorry to hear about your Dad, sending lots of love and hugs.

Good for you re ditching wig (haven't got confidence to do that yet!)

Take care of yourself

Love Sorbet

Highlighted

Nicki so sorry to hear your sad news. Sending virtual hugs.

MMammogram wasnt too bad been told results are about 6 weeks but im guessing thats if they are clear. I have no faith in them really as i had my first one and found a lump a few weeks later but every check helps i guess how unlucky for it to miss twice. Ive opted to be seen by onc every 6 months at the moment to help my cancer obsessed brain.
Had my hair coloured this weekend. Went okay much better than grey. I found i was looking at every woman with short grey hair thinking have you had chemo so felt others wondered about me. And grey curls just awful.

Cant imagine walking a few miles so well done for even thinking of the race ladies. My hips are awful.
Highlighted

Nicki, so sorry to hear that your Dad has died. Thinking of you and sending a big hug 💜💜💜
Highlighted

Hi everyone

Hope you're all doing well. My post-hysterectomy recovery is going ok, thanks for all your good wishes. Has anyone else found that their eyelashes and eyebrows are disappearing again (or is it just mine?)?? Wasn't expecting this!

I'm still wearing my wig when I go out (obviously not going out much at the the moment due to recent op). My hair is growing back really slowly, it's now 6 months since I finished chemo and my hair is about an inch and a half long, slightly wavy on top and straight everywhere else. Can't see myself going wig-free yet, I hate my new (grey!) hair.

I'm having a bone density (DEXA) scan this week so they can monitor whether the letrozole is causing osteoporosis. I assume this first scan is so that they can compare future scans - not sure how frequent they'll be. I'm taking (vile tasting) calcium tablets every day. Is anyone else taking letrozole?

Sleep well everyone. Lots of love Eileen xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

I'm already dreading mine and it won't be until this time next year! My cancer wasn't picked up on a mammogram as it came back clear , it was found by sheer chance whilst an innocent fibrodenema was being biopsied and they picked up a few cells on the outside of it, don't have any faith in mammograms at the minute so not sure what I'm going to do 😕
Highlighted

Hi All,

Yep i have my mamogram too in the very near future, very apprehensive to say the least.  Only my hubbie and my children know when it is, i do not want the pressure of everyone asking, i want to keep it quiet in case it is not good 😞

Life was just getting back to normal, whatever that is!!!  My darling Dad passed away suddenly a month ago, he was a very fit, active, outdoorsy, young 74 year old.  To say we were shocked and devastated is an understatement.  

I ditched the wig in March, when my head was totally covered, just very short.  However, i have had lots of compliments saying it really suits me, I have a nice shaped head, I have great cheek bones ..... some people really like it, i do not share their sentiments unfortunately, but this is so much better than the wig, so the lesser of the two evils. 

Take care all

Lots of love

xxx

Highlighted

Hi Bevster

Good to hear from you, wow impressed at you aiming to run the race, good on you. I know i'll be walking the 10 mile night one in London in July, when is yours?

Will be thinking of you on Tuesday, I know it's hard, so be kind to yourself, I kept trying not to  think about it but know did get very snappy and anxious in few days before hoped to get results, busy is good! 

Good news is when I rang last week it was clear so obviously am very happy and relieved! I asked at hospital and she said I could ring breast care nurse 7-10 days after so obviously I rang 7days after and luckily got them then but was told by lady doing mammogram they may not be ready.

How are you doing at work? Tiredness certainly hitting me particularly when I've been asked to do extra supply days.

Anyhow take care

Love

Sorbet

Hi Eileen

Hope you are resting and recovering thinking of you.

Hi Jannie

Hope mammogram went ok, thinking of you.

Love to all lovely ladies

from Sorbet

Highlighted

Hi luvlies 😘 

Hope all of you who have had mammograms recently are doing ok. I expect now you have the awful waiting game for results?! 😞 I've got my mammogram on Tuesday so am apprehensive & not looking forward to it at all. My BC nurse did say to expect an unnerving time pending results so have got lots of things planned to keep me busy. Does anyone know how long the results take? 

Eileen - hope you're doing well.

Charity - yes I'm doing the Clumber Park race for life. It would be great if we could meet up & say hi ☺ 

I set myself a nominal fundraising target as everyone has been so generous over the last year & am absolutely chuffed to say that my target has been well n truly blown 👍 I am now 'in training' as am determined to RUN the whole 5k if I can!!! 😝 

Sending love n hugz to one & all 💕 B xx

Highlighted

Hi Jannie

Wishing you all the best for mammogram today, having had mine last week I do appreciate some of the feelings you must be having. Will be thinking of you. Take care

Love

Sorbet

Highlighted

Feeling nervous mammogram tomorrow and still very tender then there's the result.
Highlighted

Evening ladies, hope you are all doing OK. 

Eileen, hope you are recovering well and resting.

Mel, your hair looks great. Have my first appointment at hairdressers next week for a trim and hopefully style and blowdry. Its growing but am not confident yet to go without my hat.  Hopefully after a cut it may look like some sort of style. Will post a picture soon if I like it.

Bevster, well done have thought about the race for life too. I was diagnosed on 19th June 2014 and there is one near me on 21st June in clumber park, is that the one you are doing?

This week will be my first full week back at work since I returned in early March so will be a test. Its been a lot tougher than I thought actually, am tired and have to go to bed earlier to be rested for next day.  Will be on holiday for 2 weeks early June so looking forward to some sunshine and relaxation.

Good luck to all having mammograms soon, mine not until July.

Take care all, Charity xxx

Highlighted

Some lovely positive posts...and many anniversary thoughts. Lets hope our hair dye is a success all round...skin tests looking good.
Sorbet will start looking at what im eating and see if it makes a difference.
Anyone else going through an itchy phase? Hopibg its the healing process
Highlighted

Hi ladies
All going well here... Just got back from a mad Hen Weekend in Edinburgh. Got skinned and bruised elbows and knees to show for it (fell over... Whoops!) Had a fabulous time and felt great to leave the BC behind and have pure, unadulterated fun with some great friends.

Have posted a pic taken this weekend of my new hair. It's now looking pretty much like a deliberate, albeit very short, style.

Hope you're recovering well Eileen? Thinking of you.

Nearly a year for me too since initial diagnosis... Time flies! Hope your mammogram goes well sorbet. You're bound to be worried.

Hope everyone is having a lovely bank holiday weekend. xxx
Highlighted

Hi Jannie

Sorry meant to say sorry night sweats horrid aren't they , mine seem  worse if have much sweet food in pm and rare times have had a little wine (still tastes horrid sadly!!) . Sorry no more tips, hope you ok.

Love

Sorbet

Highlighted

Hi Bevster thats great and a positive step, where are you doing yours as know they are all over the place? Let us know links etc.

Am doing the night walk in London on 5th July, (hoping will manage to be awake!). Yes Lots of memories from this time last year at mo. Year next week since diagnosed, I have my first mamogram since last year's opp on Tuesday which obviously  will be pleased when over as too many horrid memories from last one. I guess everyone is approaching or has had that? Trying to be positive but underneath it all am panicing!

Hope you enjoyed week off and had some quality time with OH. Having worked 4 days this week I struggled to get up today thankgoodness a Bank hol weekend!

Bought some dye today so may try to improve totally horrid hair though think wig staying still while stays on!

Hi Eileen, How are you feeling now? Hope you've been resting lots? Thinking of you.

Hope all you other lovely ladies doing well, Keep in touch.

Lots of Love Sorbet

Highlighted

That's a great step in the right direction Bevster - good for you! Set up a Just Giving page and we'll sponsor you. Lots of love xx
Highlighted

Well it's a year to the day today since I found my lump!! What a year!!

So to celebrate the passing of a truly horrible 12 months I've registered to take part in Race For Life on 21st June which will be a year & 2 days since my op! #gonnabeemotional 😘 xxx

Highlighted

Morning ladies 😘 

Eileen - Hops you're doing ok hunnie. All best wishes for a speedy recovery. Sending hugs! 

Thanks Sorbet. Thankfully I have a week off this week so am going to enjoy some relax time whilst OH at work & then maybe I'll be company when he gets home instead of falling asleep on the sofa 😝 

Jannie - Nothing curing the night sweats for me! Still suffering disturbed sleep every night too.

Wishing you all a decent day. Hope the sun is shining for you all 🌞 

Sending love 💕 B xx

Highlighted

Glad op went to plan Eileen speedy recovery and hugs.

The hair and aching joints definitly making me feel old and im triple neg so no tamoxifen to blame. Maybe its just the chemo.

Anybody found something to help these night sweats?

Highlighted

Hi Eileen

so good to hear from you and glad op went ahead. It sounds like you've had a very  hard time but am so pleased you are resting and doing the exercises and  so you'll be better off in the long run. Thinking of you and hope you have some sunshine to cheer you up where you are to look out on. Do take care hope you are getting lots of sleep.

Love

Sorbet

Hi Bevster it must be hard doing full time  ! I am back 3 days but very tired, thought was achey as tired and run down but someone reminded me today i said that when I last saw them and it's prob the Tamoxifen thats made me ache etc. Is sleeping any better for you? i still wake with hot flushes and then awake lots but keep thinking this is so much better than 5months ago so very lucky!

Take care

Hi everyone else hope you are doing ok hope your studying for tests ok Mel  and you have sucess dying hair Jannie-mine awful!

Love to you all

Sorbet

Highlighted

Hi ladies

I've had my hysterectomy and removal of huge fibroid from abdomen last Thursday. Was in hospital for 5 nights, came home yesterday. Huge amount of pain post-op, I remember crying and pleading with them to stop the pain when I was coming round. I had morphine for 24 hours and since then I've been on paracetamol, ibuprofen and codeine. I was anaemic and needed a blood transfusion at the weekend. They did a full blood count on Monday to check the transfusion had worked - iron was still very low, borderline anaemic, but they decided to give me iron tablets rather than another transfusion. On the ward round yesterday the doc said my blood results were 'not good but good enough' to send me home and said that the iron will improve my blood over time. I feel like a half-charged battery, can't believe how exhausted I feel. I am planning to stay in bed as much as possible, just getting up every so often for the loo and to give my calves a shake to prevent blood clots. I am going to follow the rule book and recover properly over several months - I've read horror stories of incontinence etc. after overdoing it and damaging pelvic floor muscles further. I plan to do nothing but my pelvic floor and abdominal exercises. Right, going to lie down again now and get back to sleep. Hope you're all doing well. Lots of love Eileen xx 💜💕☀️
Highlighted

Hope alls well Eileen.

Caught site of my tear veiw in a changing room mirror...could have been 80 with theses grey curls one more month and im hitting the dye.
Highlighted

Hi luvlies 😘 

Here I am..... So sorry I've not been in touch for ages. I've just been catching up on all your posts.

Goodness.....theres been lots going on ladies. Some great progress news & some still rather testing times for each & every one of us.

Eileen - have you had your op now? Hope you're ok. Sending hugz.

Apologies I need to re-read the thread again but I am thinking of you all.

Not doing too bad myself. On my 2nd week of working full time now & am completely knackered! 😝 It's so difficult when everyone says you're looking well but its the makeup hiding the dark bags under the eyes....lol. 

Had a wobble today.......one of my customers asked why I'd been off work so long & it took me by surprise that I broke down in floods of tears afterwards!!! 

It just goes to show i'm still some way off normality but cannot let this get me down.

On a positive I've just got back from the gym which, despite being shattered, does make me feel better. Need to shed some pounds now & get fit.

Sending love to you all 💕 Keep posting!! 

B xx

Highlighted

Just thought that I'd let you Ladies know that some 2 years after chemo I'm going off tomorrow to have my hair cut shorter!  Before BC always had it quite long and couldn't wait for it to get that way again.  Now I have decided that I actually liked it better when it was just coming back!  We live and learn, I guess.  

Best to you all, Louise

ps -- I am beginning to think that the "old normal" never actually comes back -- at least it hasn't for me!  Nearly 2 years on from the end of all treatment, things are really ok, except for the never ending fear, but they are very, very different.  When you think about it, how could it really be otherwise?

Highlighted

Thanks Mel. Post a picture of your haircut - I'd love to see how everyone is doing with hair growth, mine is so incredibly slow, only an inch after more than four months post chemo! It would be a waste of money for me to get a haircut yet! Sleep well xx 💜💕
Highlighted

So sorry that you've got yet another hurdle to get over before you can regain some semblance of 'normality' Eileen. It's been a hard slog to get this far and it seems so unfair that you have to go through this too. Pretty soon it will all be over and done with and you'll be back on the road to recovery. I'll be thinking of you on Thursday.

Glad your test came back ok Yankee... I think every test scares the bejesus out of us these days. Prior to BC, it's something that happens to other people... now it's very real fears.

I had my first haircut yesterday. Ok... So I look like a cross between Sinead O'Connor and Annie Lennox and it's liberally sprinkled with grey.... but it now looks like a deliberate haircut.... and I love it! 🙂 x
Highlighted

Great news Yankee/Louise. I bet you're relieved. I hope your friend is successful in having a baby, good to know that people are getting on with their lives. At the moment, everything seems far from the old normal for me, so it's encouraging to hear of others moving forward, especially in such a positive way.

Sleep well lovely ladies. Lots of love to you all. Eileen xx 💜💕
Highlighted

Just to let all you nice ladies know, the 2nd bowel smear was ok.  Now however, I have to go through a 3rd just to confirm!  At least I'm not so worried now.  Glad that they are being so through.  Probably super sensitive to it all, not only because of having had BC, but because my Father had bowel cancer, although it wasn't what actually killed him!  Think the paranoia goes on for a long time after our treatment is over!

One of our BCC 2013 Valentines got married today.  She has discussed with her doctors and is going to take a 6 month holiday from Tamoxifen to try and get pregnant!  Life goes on!  I do hope for her that they are successful.

all the best, Louise

Highlighted

Hi Eileen

So glad you have another date soon and will pray it happens then. Hope you are getting more sleep and it goes the best it can.

Take care

Love Sorbet

Hi Yankee

Good for you for being positive and I hope it is all ok  for you, it must be very hard though.

Take care

Love

Sorbet

Highlighted

e Re: Treatment starting August 2014

So glad to hear that you have a new date Eileen!  Hope everything goes smoothly this time.

There is a national bowel cancer screening programme.  It starts at age 60 and happens every 2 years.  You have to do horrible little smears of your stool on a card and then send it in to the hapless lab assistants (our grandson is one of them!) to be analysed for traces of blood!  Whole process is pretty horrid, but ok I guess if it saves your life!  One of my BCC Valentines who was going through it during chemo, and therefore had lots of bowel problems, had to have 4 tests before they decided she was ok -- so I shouldn't be panicing with just one bad result!

Highlighted

Hi Sorbet
Yes, they have given me a new date of Thursday 16 April for my hysterectomy etc., as another woman's operation was cancelled due to the fact that she needs some treatment at another hospital before she can have surgery. I was able to relax at the weekend luckily, but my anxiety (and the sleepless nights!) is building up again. I'm dreading it but also worrying that it might get cancelled again.

Anyway, I'd better go and get some sleep. Hope everyone is doing OK and enjoying this lovely weather. Lots of love Eileen xx 💜💕
Highlighted

Hi Eileen

So sorry to log in and read your operation was cancelled, how very annoying and upsetting for you!!! Hope you managed to enjoy a bit of quality time with Steve over Easter. Have you heard anyhing more definate re 16th? Thinking of you, do take care.

Love

Sorbet

Highlighted

Hi Mel

I am so pleased for you skin thing not cancer related what a relief for you! Hope creams get rid of it soon!

I agree re brain fog , I can't remember things like I used too and have to concentrate much harder, glad am going back in TA capacity mainly next term plus some supply , as think class teacher role at mo would be beyond me yet, hope by September brain fog better!

Hope your tests in next weeks go well.

Take care

Love Sorbet

Highlighted

Morning Yankee, just browsing your thread I am on Novemember starters but was interested to see you had a knee replacement after treatment. Can I ask how long after  please, I too need that doing but had to put it on hold when diagnosed with bc. Iv'e still got a way to go with this treatment yet as had a further WLE last week as had dcis in margin so wont get results till next wednesday the if all good got to do rads if not probably masectomy then rads. My knee causes me me more problems that bc as I have bone on bone in one section so cannot walk far and it is very sore at times. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Have a good day Sue xx 

Highlighted

Good luck Yankee. Let us know how you get on. I've never even heard of a bowel cancer smear test. How do you get one? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Hope everyone is feeling ok this cold and foggy (in Lancashire at any rate) April morning. Hard to believe it's spring. Lots of love to all, Eileen xx 💜💜💜
Highlighted

Dearest Eileen -- just was having a look at your thread after quite a long time not checking it -- and heard about your op and its cancellation!  Sending my greatest commiserations.  I had a knee replacement a few months after my BC treatment ended and had to spend a week in hospital and then months of pain and physio.  It is not easy going through something major this soon after cancer treatment, but if you can endure chemo etc. you can make it through this too!  Really hope they get things sorted and get you in soon -- as we all know too well -- the waiting is the worst part. Makes you never want to be in a hospital again!   I, incidentally have just failed my bowel cancer smear test, so am in the waiting room again myself.  I think lots of people fail once or twice and it is nothing, but after having BC it is of course terrifying!  Good luck when you do finally have the operation done!

Highlighted

Enjoy the wine ive got a bottle of merlot open, doesn't go with chocolate though. Eileen hope things get back on track soon.
Mel fantastic news.
Highlighted

Thanks Mel and Nicki. I've cracked open the red tonight too.......🍷
Highlighted

Well done Mel, you must be so relieved, crack open the red.

So sorry Eileen, boy are you being tested at the minute, chin up chick ... if you can lovely, hope they give you a new date soon xxx

Oh no! You must have felt like screaming. It takes so much emotional and mental energy to prepare yourself for these things... and you're now going to have to do it all over again. As you say though, at least you get to spend Easter with your OH. Hope you get your new date soon. xx
Highlighted

Great news Mel. You must be so relieved. My operation was cancelled - I got a call at 4.45 pm yesterday (after the military preparation I had carried out at home in anticipation of being away for up to 6 nights was virtually complete, not to mention having numerous sleepless nights due to my anxiety!) to say they'd had an emergency so had to cancel my surgery today. It sounds dramatic to say this but I was devastated. I had just about psyched myself up in anticipation of the op, and realising that I'll have to go through this build up again was too much. The only positive thing is that least Steve and I will now be able to spend Easter together, rather than him being at home for the 4 days worrying about me, so today I'm trying to think positive. The hospital was supposed to ring me today with another date for the op, once they'd had a 'performance meeting' (whatever that is) - I left it till 4.15 pm to chase them. I was told that they hadn't been able to have the necessary meeting due to someone being off work (but no-one rang me to explain!). The best they can say at the moment is that there may be a slot on 16 April as there are expecting a cancellation of an op scheduled for that date, but who knows? It might go ahead.

Anyway, I hope you're all doing OK and looking forward to a nice long weekend. The weather forecast is looking quite good, so fingers crossed. Lots of love to everyone, Eileen xx