cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treatment starting August 2014

2,258 REPLIES 2,258
PaulS

Re: Treatment starting August 2014

Thanks Lynn. I meant foils of course not papers! My hairdresser has been great so will talk this through with him. Will let you know how I get on. P XX
LynnAnn

Hi PaulS 

i had half a head of foils so colour wasn't directly onto my head and not every hair was coloured. I did ask whether I should have a patch test first but was advised that this would only test my skin not my hair so decided against it (I had been to that salon before and knew their products were OK on me but maybe as a result of chemo I may have been more sensitive so possibly should have had that done just in case). 

My hair is almost as thick as it was before chemo. I think anastrazole may have affected it a little but not too badly thank goodness. Maybe your hairdresser could suggest a combinations of colours that would make it look thicker?

let us know how you get on

love

Lynn

🙆😄

PaulS

Hi Lynn,
So glad all went well! I am nervous but think now that I will bite the bullet and do it. I was advised not to have a whole head colour but have the papers so it is not just lying on the scalp. What did you do? My hair seems very fine - Letrozole? P xx
LynnAnn

Thanks for,your good wishes Sorbet. Also had a trim when I had my colour last week and the 

last of the chemo curls have finally gone. 

PaulS - I felt quite uptight when I went in, can't believe I was so nervous. I didn't realise how gently I had been treating my hair. It felt as though the hairdresser was being really rough but in actual fact it was just me getting  over anxious. So- it did me good to realise that I can do much more with my hair than I thought I could and am really pleased with the results. Funnily enough hardly anybody else has noticed but it has made a world of difference to me and how I feel about myself - more like the old me, hair makes such a difference doesn't it?

Hope those of of you with partners have an enjoyable valentines. Hubby and I are having a night away at the hotel where we got married two and a half years ago. 

Love to all

Lynn

😄🌹💕

PaulS

How did you get on with your hair colouring? I'm about to have mine done for the first time and am also anxious that my new hair will fall out. Just used water based colours up till now. I also have some old hair - used cold cap- so not sure how that will cope.
Hope all good with you ladies. P xx
sorbet

Hi Lynn Ann

Hope Friday goes well for you with the colour, if it helps I have coloured mine a few times now and seems fine. Glad more good than bad days. I agree SE of Tamoxifen get to me particularly not sleeping and then all seems worse. Anyhow agree on positive thoughts too. Take care and thinking of you on Friday. Is yours curly? Mine a curly mop but dont dare try to straighten as may damage hair and self as not long enough really!

Hope all of you lovely ladies doing well?

Hows your hair Jannie?

Take care,

Love

Sorbet

LynnAnn

Hi Jannie

Yes, not quite the style I used to have but loving my new short hair. Big step for me this Friday. Have an appointment to have it coloured. Looking forward to it but with some trepidation - hope it doesn't all fall out again!😄😀

Hope all you ladies are doing ok. More good days than bad for me now but the fear doesn't go away and some days side effects from medication get to me a bit. Keep thinking positive thoughts - exercising, eating healthily (well some of the time - lol).

best wishes all

Lynn

💐🌹🌺💕

jannie13

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying having hair again. Sending hugs to you all
sorbet

Hi to all the lovely August 2014 Ladies

Sorry I meant to post before Christmas and New year to wish you all a wonderful one but somehow I couldnt log in again and taken until now to reset password!

Anyhow I hope you all had a good Christmas and found it easier than last year when most of us had just finished or were about to finish treatment.

I agree Alijay great not to cook with wig on , although my hair is just a mess of curls which cant seem to do a thing with so preferred the chic neat wig look! However I am very greatful to have some hair again and daily count my blessings. Yes tamoxifen takes getting used to I found it fine at first but nights and flushes bad and sleep deprevation takes its toll though had other things to worry about which doesnt help. Anyhow lets hope 2016 is a happy and healthy one for us all and thank you all for your amazing support last year, I will always remeber everyone's kind and wise words which got me through a difficult time, even though I dont post much now.

Take care ladies and love to you all, you are the best!

Love Sorbet

alijay

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy & Healthy 2016. 🙂 xxx

I havent been on the forum for a long time so I will have to have a read back over your posts but I hope everyone is getting on ok.

This year has flown by and in January it will be 1 year since I finished all my treatment.  I am getting on ok with the Tamoxifen (learning to live with the hot flushes!) but I have struggled mentally to get over the whole experience and move on.  Thank heavens for my patient and understanding GP who has been so good every time I turn up with my latest worry!  Also I am seeing the Macmillan Psychologist who is helping me to put things in perspective. On the plus side, I love my new short hair and have had it coloured blonde as when it grew back it was grey, at least I won't be cooking the Christmas dinner whilst roasting underneath a wig this year!

Love and best wishes to you all 

Ali xxx

jannie13

Hi all...wishing everyone a happy Christmas.

I think what makes it hard now for me is everyone thinking I'm back to normal yet inside I'm still struggling mentally and feel abandoned add to that the numb fingers and toes...yep cold is awful...the pain in chemo arm that keeps flaring up causing awful headaches as neck spasms and painfully noon, But it will get better.....my hair is now manageable straight and dyed a normal colour so I don't look ancient anymore....and compared to last year energy is great...i try to think how much is better but still get days when toys are thrown.
I'm having acupuncture for hot flushes....amazing results.

I do hope everyone is well...xox
LynnAnn

Hi Eileen and anybody else who is still checking in. 

So so sorry to hear about the negatives re your hair - if it's from adults they should know better, look at it as their problem not yours. you are getting there. I know, though, that the slightest thing can put you back mentally - my 2 four year old grandchildren tell me that they liked my old, long blonde, style better but then they didn't know that that came out of a bottle!  

Glad to hear that you are doing well otherwise - yes, it's hard isn't it when the hospital visits slow down. I go to the lympodeama clinic which keeps me in contact with the breast care nurse and, yesterday, I was quite upset when she told me that the exercises are working well and I don't have to go for another year - how stupid is that!?  

Had my one year check up in the summer hoping for the all clear but then had to have scan and biopsy near site of anc - all ok but a worrying week and good to know that they are checking things out properly.

If anybody else is still suffering from chemo related peripheral neuropathy (paratheseia) I would be grateful for any tips. Worse for me in the cold weather so big furry slippers help on the feet but also have is it elsewhere. 

i sincerely hope all you other ladies are doing well and have a Very Happy Christmas.

🌷❤️💕💐💐😀😀🌲🌲

lots of love 

Lynn 

EileenB

Hello lovely ladies

I don't know how many of you will read this post but I just wanted to check in, as on 22 December it will be 12 months since my last radiotherapy session, and I have been wondering how everyone has been getting on with life after the end of our treatment.  

I personally found it a challenge, especially the hair regrowth and when I finally stopped wearing a wig in the summer (my hair was still too short really but it was just too hot to wear a wig when I was about to go on holiday), I had some really negative comments from some quarters which really set me back and added to my massive self-consciousness. Anyway, all that is behind me now and I'm getting better at styling my (now) curly hair which is still very short but not so short as to attract attention.

I also found it hard to deal with the feeling of being 'abandoned' after approx 6 months of regular hospital appointments, once the treatment was over.! The treatment itself was harsh but looking back I realised it made had me feel secure and 'looked after', so when it ended I really felt out on a limb.  I've been told that this is a very common feeling, I'm sure many of you will have felt the same.

Anyway, I'll sign off now. I hope I haven't brought up bad memories for anyone, but I really wanted to wish you all a very happy Christmas this year!!  Let's enjoy it and be glad we're one year on.  

Take care ladies and I'd love to hear how you've been this year. Onward and upward! 

Lots of love 

Eileen xx 🎄💕🎅🏻

familytree

That's lovely charity. Onwards and upwards! Love Lorna x
Charity11

Hi all hope everyone is doing OK.  I have been back at work 6 months now after finishing treatment, have been on holiday 3 times. Had my 12 month review in July and mammo and everything fine. Just back from a week in Lanzarote where I experienced scuba diving for the first time. It was a terrific experience but exhausting!! I'll never forget my BC experience but am now more confident in being able to move forward and enjoy life to the full. Hope you all are too xx

jannie13

Hope everyone is doing okay. Ive managed a few breaks and planning more in my new mindset of enjoying life now. Even one a bottle of pimms on a cancer care tombola...which is now calling me...xxx
sorbet

Hi Mel

Just want to wish you all the best with your PGCE which if I remember rightly you are starting in September.

Good for you!

Summer gone too fast back at school 2moro!

How are you Eileen? Hope you are feeling better now.

Hope all you lovely ladies are well, just got round to re setting password on site as not been on here this month as busy with kids home and so lovely this year to be able to do things. Anyhow think of you all lots.

Take care

Love  Sorbet

familytree

Hi mine is a woman...forgottt her name! Lol. She's nice though. Oh I'm sure it was nothing after the dreaded chemo, bless you! It was fear mainly and lying there it really sinks in that you have cancer but you will have felt that when the chemo started I'm sure. She told me it would definitely make my osteoporosis worse taking letrozole.my other onc says not with bone building drug...I dint want to take that though..read awful reports on it. Then hey ho it's good for stopping cancer travelling to bones.. a minefield of info to take in! Like a bad dream isn't it...never mind, we're alive to tell the tale and that's a blessing x
EileenB

Familytree

i had a dexa scan in May (after starting letrozole in January) (BTW all brands of letrozole seem to be ok for me, my local chemist usually has Cipla and I'm fine with that, but I've had other brands).  I've got osteopenia which was a shock, but the radiographer said that it doesn't always develop into osteoporosis so I'm going to make sure I do as much as I can to ward it off - lots of walking and calcium-rich food. xx

EileenB

Hi familytree

yes, I'm doing ok now. Hope your radiotherapy is going well. After the stress of chemotherapy I found radiotherapy ok -  the worst thing was trying to get a parking space every day! Had quite bad sunburn-like burning about 3-4 weeks after finishing radiotherapy but it didn't last long. Who is your onc at Preston? Mine was Dr ****. Take care xx

familytree

Yes Eileen...going there for rads had op at Wigan. So how are you doing, well I hope x
EileenB

Hi familytree

you mentioned Preston onc. Are you being treated at Royal Preston Hospital? I had chemo and radiotherapy there last year. Hope you're doing ok xx

familytree

Thanks Yankee... it all helps. Knowledge is power... apparently! lol 

Oh i'm too tired to work it all out right now lol going to get the rads over with then think of the bones! I think G.Ps are ill equipped to really advise so going to talk to the doc who operated on me. The Preston onc was very good in explaining but I'm loathed to swap to tamoxofen after reading all the horror stories and as I seem to be ok on Letrozole (touch wood). Would I have experienced the worst of them 2 months in? if so I can handle it. 

Thanks for your info. Hope you are doing ok?  xxx

Yankee

Also sorry to butt in again -- but I have been butting in a lot over the months on this thread as it was set up soon after my best friend was diagnosed and I didn't want to barge in on her thread -- if that makes any sense at all!  I am on Letrozole too, but lucky as I don't have bone problems. I believe that the treatment you are having at the moment Familytree is the usual way to handle post-menopausal patients with bone density poblems.  I have kept a diary of my reactions to Femara and the generic substitutes -- over the last two years, have had drugs from most of the different companies..  In my case I do better on Cipla or Teva generic Letrozole than on Femera.  I think that the active drug is the same in every case, but each company puts in other additives, so it is a question of which formula suits you best.  Tamixifan is usually prescribed as a hormone blocker to pre-menopausal patients.  Those who I know who are on it seem to have severe problems with hot flashes and general body heat regulation.  The problems with Letrozole seem to be more aches and pains -- which is a huge problem with me as I have severe arthitis -- but if it helps  me stay cancer free --what the heck!

catokitty

Hi familytree - Femara is the original branded name of letrozole which is the generic drug name. Subsequently other companies began producing it cheaper hence all the different brands available like Cipla etc.  Femara is a lot more expensive and my GP surgery like many will not prescribe it as it is too big a cost for their practice budget.   I think in Scotland people can get it.    My GP is convinced that there is absolutely no difference between any of the brands and was very sceptical when I told her that there definitely is.    Al the best,

Jane

familytree

Sorry to butt in but pauls you mention Fermara instead of letrozole.. What is the difference? I am a novice just  going the rads Half way.. yea!) and I have a dilemma.  Dexa scan showed osteoperosis but the hospital I had op in say stay on letrozole with bone building drug and vitD calcium. My second hospital onc where I have rads says to change to tamoxifen plus the other suppliments and bone builder... I don't know wht to do as they can't agree?! Is Fermara less harmful to bones. Any advice appreciated x 

On another note I love you all being friends and meeting up.. how lovely 

Lots of love x

Yankee

Hi August Ladies -- just managed to get on the forums for the first time since the changes and am overjoyed to hear that you have had word of Lady Grey -- I have worried about her ever since she disappeared from the Forums while having troubles with her medications.

Just returned from a wonderful gathering of a small number of the February 2013 Valentines at Wydale Hall in North Yorkshire.  It is a retreat house belonging to the Diocese of York and has wonderful surroundings and reasonable rates.  It is the 5th time that groups of the Valentines have met, and as we gradually return to "civilian" life we have become friends rather than just fellow sufferers. We have lost 2 of our 28, and 2 others have serious secondaries, but the rest of us seem to be cancer free -- fingers crossed!  Glad to hear that those of you who have posted are doing well.  Best wished to you all!

sorbet

Great news all round Jannie a great wait for mammogram but so pleased good result, fab re ofsted-always a stressful thing but great you did so well and ofcourseyour anniversary.

Well done on Cake Sale Bevster.

Hope all enjoying some of the sunny weather (hoping predicted rain for next week won't be true! Not good with kids home for hols!)

Anyhow so good to be feeling well this Summer, yipee!

Love to all you lovely ladies.

jannie13

£81 is amazing....sounds like they were good cakes..
Bevster

Hi luvlies 😘

Cake sale raised £81 👍 

Sending love to you all 😘 

B xx

Bevster

Nice one Jannie!!! Great news.
Congratulations on your silver anniversary too.
Sending love xxx
jannie13

Well done sorbet...bevster great idea on the cakes...
Ladygrey...gglad your on the up.x

Mammogram results were good...10 weeks and 3 days later. Ive also celebrated my 25th wedding in bruges and had my ofsted inspection and been graded outstanding. ...all resulting in several bottles of fizz...operation weight loss resumes..
Hoping everyone is doing well....what a difference a year makes...xox
Bevster

Hi luvlies 😘

Sorbet....well done hunnie 👍💕 

GGee - thanks for those wonderful words xx

Best wishes to lady grey...please pass on my love.

Jannie - my goodness...how awful you're still waiting on your mammogram results!!! That's appalling hunnie. Fingers crossed that no news is good news. Sending hugz 😘 

Quick update from me......had a fabulous week in Puerto Banus, Marbella with my wonderful OH. So lovely to kick back & chill for a week of quality time 🌞😜 

Just wanted to let you know that tomorrow I've organised a cuppa n cake fundraising event at work with monies raised to come to this fantastic cause...Breast Cancer Care. Will let you know how much I raise.

Bidding you all a restful eve. Sleep tight all.

Love n hugz

B xx 💕

sorbet

Hi 1852

Thank you so much for your support and encouragment. I hope  you are getting on ok . Take care

Love

Sorbet

Hi sorbet I am from sept sunbeams just wanted to say well done on walk it's a great achievement 👣☺️
sorbet

Hi GeeJ

Great to hear from you and news of Ladygrey too. Hope you had a great stay away at hotel and thanks for all your amazing words of wisdom in your previous message.

Jannie hope your time in Bruges fab.

Hi Ladies

Just to let you know I made it and completed the London Pink Ribbon 10mileLondon night walk last night. So pleased I did it and raised lots of money for Breast Cancer Care. I was thinking of all of you wonderful ladies and how you kept me going though the yukky chemo and since then. Atmosphere and support was amazing. Just beginning to feel semi normal again tonight having spent much of day in bed after getting home at 2.30 , legs better tonight although this week at work will be hard.

Anyhow must go and have an early night.

Lots of Love

Sorbet

geeG

Popping in again to let you know that Ladygrey sends her greetings and all very best wishes to everyone - I had a lovely lunch with her today and she was telling me she is doing well and feeling good - she had tried to get onto the forum but was having trouble with passwords and stuff so was happy for me to share this - she is looking good and has just had her hair cut - it was great to see her! Hugs x x x
jannie13

Bevster well done.. definetly not at that point yet. Ive just come back from s few days in bruges pleased i managed 362 steps up the belfry.
Have had a few trims and now feel it looks like a style...and have coloured it so feel more in control.
Definitely getting there mamograme was 7 weeks ago and still waiting.
PaulS

Re Letrozole my oncologist told me to insist on Femara not a generic brand. Aches and pains now far fewer.
Have a good one ladies. P xx
geeG

Me oh my… what a lot of things we are all still coping with… just called by to say "Hello" … I'm sure we had all hoped to see BC and Associates receding into the very far distance by now… but so many folk still having to wrestle with it all … or new aspects … I send you all strength and perseverance and ongoing determination … as someone on the thread said, we all have more of these Phenomenal Attributes now if not before, and more than we ever dreamed possible…
… and now we're all meeting First Anniversaries… of First Find… Diagnosis… Surgery/chemo/radiotherapy … good that we're also getting to No Wig, First Haircut, First Colour and First Full Week … and now First Holiday - gives us some things to celebrate and enjoy. (At last). Someone else on the thread (sorry I'm still so rubbish at remembering names and details) said we may never again be Who We Were - and I believe that is always true in a very low key way as we gain year on year - we can never go back to Before X Experience - it's just that BC is such a Huge Hurdle we cannot ignore the fact of Time Moving On … great to know we are still here to meet, register and assimilate these anniversaries as they arise…
I hope the sun is shining for you … I am away for a few days in one of our favourite hotels - The Four Seasons Hotel at Loch Earn - GLORIOUS sunshine yesterday, thunderstorm thru the night, pouring rain this morning… and now… now just the teensiest weeniest sliver of sunshine … and it makes all the difference! The aches and pains of Letrozole, the worry of Next Mammogram, grey curls, going to bed early, fatigue and scar pains (I think that may relate to recovering nerve endings… so kinda good really…) all settle down for a sleep in the corner for a while and are less demanding for a bit…
Wishing you sunshine … even as teeny slivers… with loads of love and hugs x x x
Charity11

Well done Bevster had been thinking about you, great achievement. Xx

Bevster

Thank you ladies!!! 😘 xxxx

PaulS

Bevster - I'm from the September Sunbeams.  BRILLIANT achievement raising all that money and finishing the 5k.  Well done you. An inspriation.

sorbet

PS I finally ditched wig at end of last week, been feeling very strange! Hate mass of curls but feel very lucky to have some hair now.

How is everyone else doing on the hair front?

Love

Sorbet

sorbet

Hi Bevster

Well done to you on race and fundraising, I am impressed. Hope you are feeling ok now. I have my Pink Ribbon  night walk coming up in just under 2weeks so great to hear your achievement and will spur me on to keep walking.

Hope all lovely August ladies are doing well, been soo busy with work, trying to walk and general family life. Thankfully after a bit of a scare a few weeks ago after my annual check up am feeling ok again. I'd been having pain all round mastectomy site (like after surgery) was referred for ultra sound and thankfully despite pain all looked ok and nothing cancerous so was relieved. Am back doing post op excercises and bra at night and had been taking pain killers but stopped now as seems ok-no idea what it was but glad ok.

How are you doing Eileen? Thinking of you and hope your surgery recovery going ok.

Love to everyone.

Sorbet

Lovewine

Bevster i am from april 2014- wanted to say well done too😀

Bevster I am from sept sunbeams well done on race time. And money raised feel proud 😊
EileenB

Bev, you're a star! Well done 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Bevster

Hi luvlies 😘 

Hope you are all doing well & staying strong.

I did the 5K Race For Life today. I did it for all of us!! 😉

It took me 35 mins & up to now I've raised £790 for Cancer Research 👍💕 

What a difference a year makes!!! 

Sending love n hugz to you all 💕 B xx

jannie13

Definetly does make us stronger thsn we knew pissible. Hope everyone is on the up.x