Trial selected Xeloda

Hi

Well the trial selected me for Xeloda on Tuesday so I started it on Tuesday night 2000mg twice per day. If the Xeloday stops working I will then get the Sutent and the study nurse had assured me that there is not time restriction on that.

I am coping fine with the Xeloda up until now, except I was plastering my hads and feel in cream and was wearing cotton socks as someone had suggested on this website. I came down the stairs to iron a top for my work and slipped on the last 2 stairs. So I spent yesterday in A & E and Xray. I seemed to have torn a muscle around my underarm and across my chest (where I have a cancerous lump) - it is very swollen and was really sore. The study nurse has said that it’s okay for me to take Nurofen in this instance as the pain outweighed the risk of a temperature.

Never mind - it’s my husband Eddie I feel sorry for - as if he doesn’t have enough on his plate without this on the top!

Diane

xx

Hi Diane - I didn’t realise that Xeloda was a trial drug? There seams to be lots of ladies on it so hopefully it will do the trick for you to. How often are they going to scan you?

Sounds like you can’t keep away from hospital - hope the torn muscle is ok.

Take Care

Geraldine

Xeloda isn’t a trial drug Geraldine, although the trial I am on is comparing Xeloda with a trial drug Suntent. Sutent is also known as sinitinib this works in a similar way to Avastin and is currently used to treat kidney patients. It works similar to Avastin and is not a chemo, I’m really agreeing to the trial because it will give me access to another drug that isn’t available at the moment - nothin ventured nothing gained!

Diane

Makes sense! - Hopefully Xeloda will work and you’ll not have to try the other for a very long time!

Geraldine

Oh Diane

Hadn’t thought about the hazards of slipping! I too am plastering my feet in creams (and wearing cotton socks) - will have to make sure I don’t follow suit.

I’ve had very good results on xeloda so far - tumour markers absolutely plummeting after just 3 cycles. Hopefully it will work well for you too.

Kay

Hi Diane, hope you have good results with the xeloda, but sorry to hear about your slip!

Are you able to let us know the name of the trial you are on? And where are you having treatment?

Deirdre

Hi Diane
good luck with xeloda I was on it for 2 years and it worked well for me I found it easy to plan trips away from home as I was 2 weeks on 1 off 2300 twice a day. I got Ian to rub E45 on my feet every night he had lovely soft hands and my feet were as soft as a baby’s bottom. Sorry to hear about your fall I slipped a couple of times but nothing as serious as you.

Love Debsxxx

Sorry I don’t know the name of the trial, only that the criteria is that you have triple negative bc, have only had your traetment at primary diagnosis folled by a taxoter/taxol type drug, that it’s not in your brain and that you are progestrgen negative as well. The hospital is The Western General in Edinburgh, although I believe the trial is worldwide and the maximun for the trial is 200 people. Edinburgh has only got 10 out of the 200 allocated to them but are struggling to recruit because of the strict criteria and the fact there aren’t that many triple negative people out there.

diane

Oh dear…yet another trial not recruiting.

Unfortunately xeloda didn’t work particularly for me…I had 6 cycles combined with vinorilbine and the tumours in my neck reduced, I then continued on xeloda alone for 3 more cycles but tumours got bigger again.

But I know many people for whom xeloda has worked for a long time…hope you will be one of them Diane.

Jane