Triple negative and genetic testing

Hello everyone,

I have been told that i have TNBC with a few +'ve ER receptors, PR negative, HER negative.

I found the lump myself (age 47) and had WLE and SLNB in July this year. In September I had to have further re excision of margins as the margins were not wide enough.  I am starting chemo this week (3 x FEC followed by 3 x Docetaxol).

I came on here to find out a little more about the chemo. People have been telling me how they know someone who did this and that during their chemo and I have been saying I dont know how I will be! I think I feel guilty for not going to work.

I have found reading the forums on here to be full of interesting and useful information. I am amazed at how resilient and strong you are and how much knowledge you all share.

I was frightened but after reading some of your posts I feel that I am not alone and even though I dont know you I already have many friends!!

As there is no history of BC in my family I worry for my daughter, sisters and nieces. I have read that genetic testing is only available for people who have 2 close family members with BC. Is this true?

Hello Smiley1

Welcome to the forums, I’m so pleased that you are finding the forums helpful.

Whilst waiting for replies to your post maybe you would like to give our free helpline a call where the staff can offer practical information as well as emotional support.  The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi smiley1 (great name btw)

Triple neg bc is seen more often in brca1 carriers than the general population although tends to occur at a younger age and they should offer testing if you have TNBC under age 40 even with no family history.

There were a couple of research trials last year saying that the risk of BRCA1 is still a bit higher if you have TNBC up to age 50 and some units will test if you are in this group but that is not a national guideline.

It is however on the institute of cancer research guidelines so it maybe worthwhile arguing your case.

That said most TNBC is not genetic even if you are young so theres a much higher chance of not having a mutation.

In terms of risk one person affected by BC under age 50 isnt thought to increase your daughters or sisters risk significantly as early screening would be offered to close relatives if the affected persin was under 40 or if there were two relatives affected under age 60.

Genetic testing is available for women with TNBC under 40, women who have BC and ovarian cancer or for an individual with BC or OC who have 3 more affected family members with OC at any age or BC under age 60 in at least 3 generations.

This year the guidelines changed and some units are willing to test if there are 2 or 3 cases of early onset BC, but it is thought they wont pick up many more people with mutations just that more people are being offered testing.

Having said all that i think its still worthwhile getting a referral to genetics to discuss it all fully as your genetic department may be one of the units offering testing up to age 50 for women with TNBC.

These are the institute of cancer research guidelines on early screening and gene testing.
icr.ac.uk/research/team_leaders/Rahman_Nazneen/Rahman_Nazneen_Protocols/Protocols/18705.pdf
icr.ac.uk/research/team_leaders/Rahman_Nazneen/Rahman_Nazneen_Protocols/Protocols/22778.pdf

Good luck with your treatment and let us know how you get on with genetics.

Lulu xx

Hi Lulu34,

Thanks for the links. Thats really helpful. I will let you know how I get on

Its bad enough having to live with BC and go through the treatments without your boss tutting at you! How very unsupportive! Try not to worry about work. Your GP was right to sign you off. A sicknote is a legal document and an employer cannot contest it. Toothache is awful. I hope you can get it sorted quickly. Perhaps if your dentist isnt happy to treat it he could refer you in to the local hospital dentist?

Your right too about having your chemo dose reduced. I would feel exactly the same. It is all we have…

Nice to hear from you Jill.

Sorry i have not replied as I have been so busy getting everything ready for crimbo! I really dont know how I had time to work before this!!!

I have just had the third FEC. Yay! Halfway through now. I am pleased with how well I am doing! I feel nauseous for a few days but I dont vomit! I am weary but thats about it really. My hair is almost gone but I am getting used to it now!

I am pleased to hear that your tooth fell out unaided! And  I hope your boss has been behaving and has not passed anymore insensitive comments.

Soon you will be starting the next stage of your treatment… rads. Please let us know how you get on.

I have an appointment with ONC in Jan so will ask re genetic testing but as Lulu34 said I dont hold out much hope.

Good luck Jill.

I will leave you with my motto

Stay positive and “keep smiling”

We can do this!

Smiley1:smileyhappy: