Triple negative breast cancer over 65

I have been diagnosed with TNBC at age 66. It seems to occur more often in younger women and I wondered if there are other older women out there with TNBC and what their experience has been.

I have had a mastectomy and lymph node removal. 2 out of 25 nodes had cancer. My chemotherapy starts next week to be followed by radiotherapy. 

Hello Nell,  I’m 57 and had my diagnosis 2014.  TNBC 31mm lump with node involvement.  Check first 8 rounds of EC last four piclitaxol, then surgery (lumpectomy, Full node clearance, then 20 rads).  Tumour in breast reactive well to chemo and as did the cancer in nodes.  Surgery showed lump gone and 4 out of 24 nodes were affected by the cancer.  That said full pathological response so no live cells showed in what was removed.  Since then pain under arm, lymphoedema in remaining breast and cording.  The latter may not happen you you.  Exercise is the key to getting movement back and reduces lymphodeama.  Cure t,y ha I g pain management appointments as pain after such surgery is common.

I know being 65 you will worry but TNBC can has been knew in some cases to respond well to chemo and if you keep well, eat well you have the same chance as the rest of us.  

Do stay in touch and get yourself on the list for counselling, yoga and the other courses as they get booked up quickly.

sorry you are here but wishing you well on your journey.

Pam x

Hello,

I was told on Friday that I had TNBC - and I was 68 on Sunday.

I had surgery on 24 May - 3cm lump and 2/8 nodes affected.

I go for 1st chemo intro tomorrow, line Thursday and 1st FEC on Friday. 

You have encouraged me, thank you! 

Glad you feeling better and things are more positive, Nell.

i went to the hospital for draining. As I said boob was hard and v sore… 

Nurse called my surgeon who happened to have a clinic. ?

Well he went in and out of my boob and underarm like a fiddlers elbow. ?

I had eyes closed so didn’t know where he was going next… Must have gone in about a dozen times… ?

Afterwards, I said to the nurse "Ooooh he wasn’t nice and gentle like you ladies … "

“He’s used to doing it when you’re asleep!” she said.

Hecwas also squeezing to push the fluid out, which they hadn’t done. 

It’s quite sore now after as usual. 

I’ve ended up with strong antibiotics for a week to make sure no infection developing in the boob. 

Picc tomorrow and 1st FEC on Friday. 

My boob is not to have a needle in it at all now for the foreseeable I was told. 

Ist chemo yesterday - went smoothly not too bad night - ended up taking paracetamol for what was like sinus headache. Burping a lot .

Had a good day - couldn’t believe how well I felt - umpteen alarms on phone for pills! 

I was like the Duracell Bunny pottering about and tidying. But shattered this evening so really hope I sleep. The reflux starts though - ugh. I love ginger biscuits and Im drinking plenty.

My underarm has been great since the the surgeon was beating me up last Wednesday. Can see how long my underarm scar is now - didn’t realise before with it permanently on a huge bump!

My breast had hard lump again next day, so when I went for 1st FEC yesterday, I mentioned it. They are emailing the surgeon for an appointment next week. The lump is also quite large now, red and bit sore. I am on antibiotics for it. That’s the 2nd time I’ll see the surgeon this week - my next appointment was meant to be June 2017!!!

H Nell,

Poor you. 

I was given a box of needles for a week  - started yesterday - day 3 - help bone marrow produce white blood cells - have you not had any? Husband does it…

Nurse phone today about sore boob from Friday - It had been as been uncomfortable still over weekend and felt still infected.

Nurse had spoken to surgeon (on Friday) - he will not touch breast for drainage and suggested if still infected he would stop the chemo and give more antibiotics. 

So this morning when she phoned I asked if she would take a look. We popped over. In the 3 hrs since getting up and moving about it improved!!! She said it was clean, fine and no infection - thing the antibiotics had had a battle but had won. The misshape is the drawing in and out as the tissue heals. She said it’s healing nicely and the hard lump is now fluid not hard. Underarm is still working well and causing no problem. PHEW!

Thanks Nell<
Can’t believe how well underarm is coming along and now breast… 
Just has a shower - looked in the mirror and thought - oh my goodness - it’s beginning to look a bit ‘normal’.

1st FEC was last Friday - side effects not too bad - slight nausea, that vile taste, muzzy head…
Felt quite normal a lot of the time - but you are constantly aware of ‘something’ whizzing around your body!
I’m eating, sleeping and drinking well. Drove for 1st time (5 weeks) since op yesterday - it was a wonderful feeling of liberty - that I WILL be free when up to it… Fatugue hot 1st time yesterday - Day 6 - oh it wasn’t a nice tiredness - felt ill - lay upstairs on bed and couldn’t even take interest in the telly …
Better this morning - just contemplating whether I’m overdoing it driving to get PICC line flushed…

Morning Ladies, 

Sorryvnot been on here for a while, just had no internet in the bedroom and also needed a break from bathing in cancer chat!

My surgery was 24th May for 2.5 lump (with clear 3mm surround) and 2 affected nodes (nearest breast) - 8 taken so 6 were clear. Having physio for cording but good recovery really. Still hard lump in boob needs massaging now.

my 1st chemo was 24th June so 4 weeks after surgery. I’m having 3x FEC. Joss, FEC is 3 chemicals and the treatment lasts 3 weeks. It’s a strong chemo. The 1st 2 sessions I more or less sailed through, but this 3rd has been tougher as was fighting a urine infection. I’ve been out and about as much as possible but fatigue does cramp my style. 

Joss - I have not been sick, nor have I opened the extra nausea tablets they gave me… ?

There is a nasty taste that comes but eases after a while… The injections last 7 days just after your dose and they are white blood cells to build your immunity. My husband does it and they are ok - it’s doable!

i wasn’t told about those til ai turned up for my 1st chemo and the nurse said “There’s a nice surprise for you in the fridge!” - I thought it was something to eat like a treat!!!

My hair fell out around day 17 of 1st round. I was ready for it and fortunately my wig arrived same time. Lady fitted and trimmed a few times since to get best look. It s pretty good! But I do feel the bald look is a sign of a WARRIOR - and we have battle scars to prove it!! 

Im so sorry for how overwhelmingly gripped you’ve been with shock and fear. My heart goes out to you… It’s SO good your underarm was clear Joss, that is such good news. I have surprised myself with not crying, but also not being fearful. It’s a case of - “Ok then, let’s do battle - and I will WIN!! I didn’t invite you IN - so you are being kicked OUT - for good!” 

Its a a whole new world isn’t it - and a whole new language. People also think they know about breast cancer, because they ‘know’ someone, but really they can’t know because we are all different. 

Much love Ladies - hope you have a good weekend and feel encouraged and empowered. X

Morning Ladies, 

Sorry I’ve not been on here for a while, just had no internet in the bedroom and also needed a break from bathing in cancer chat!

My surgery was 24th May for 2.5 lump (with clear 3mm surround) and 2 affected nodes (nearest breast) - 8 taken so 6 were clear. Having physio for cording but good recovery really. Still hard lump in boob needs massaging now.

My 1st chemo was 24th June so 4 weeks after surgery. I’m having 3x FEC.

Joss, FEC is 3 chemicals and the treatment lasts 3 weeks. It’s a strong chemo. The 1st 2 sessions I more or less sailed through, but this 3rd has been tougher as have mouth ulcers and was fighting a urine infection. I’ve been out and about as much as possible but fatigue does cramp my style. 

Joss - I have not been sick, nor have I opened the extra nausea tablets they gave me… ?

There is a nasty taste that comes but eases after a while…

The injections are for  7 days just after your dose and they are white blood cells to build your immunity. My husband does it and they are ok - it’s doable!

I wasn’t told about those til I turned up for my 1st chemo and the nurse said “There’s a nice surprise for you in the fridge!” - I thought it was something to eat like a treat!!!

My hair fell out around day 17 of 1st round. I was ready for it and fortunately my wig arrived same time. Lady fitted and trimmed a few times since to get best look. It’s pretty good!

But I do feel the bald look is a sign of a WARRIOR - and we have battle scars to prove it!! 

Im so sorry for how overwhelmingly gripped you’ve been with shock and fear. My heart goes out to you… It’s SO good your underarm was clear Joss, that is such good news. I have surprised myself with not crying, but also not being fearful. It’s a case of - “Ok then, let’s do battle - and I will WIN!! I didn’t invite you IN - so you are being kicked OUT - for good!” 

Its a a whole new world isn’t it - and a whole new language. People also think they know about breast cancer, because they ‘know’ someone, but really they can’t know because we are all different. 

Much love Ladies - hope you have a good weekend and feel encouraged and empowered. X

Hi everyone. Hope you are all progressing well.

Had last chemo session on Thursday and Picc line removed afterwards. What a relief the Picc line was compared to cannulas every time but now it is gone it was lovely to have a steep in the bath on Friday. SEs not too bad mainly tired and just want to doze. Avoiding nausea with medication and small meals.  Oncologist thinks I have done well as my blood tests were OK each time but I suppose I think back to how I was before this started and feeling so fit and healthy.

Planning session and scan for radiotherapy on Monday and then treatment starts 9 September and finishes on 3 October. Roll on 4 October.  Feel like I am halfway through now and thinking about a short holiday before radiotherapy starts as SEs should be better. I have been reading up on tips for radiotherapy on this forum - a lot of very good advice is given.

Best wishes

Nell