Trying to lose weight with BC

Hello i was just wondering is anyone going through this with a weight problem? I am struggling i need to lose weight but i can’t seem to eat heathly at the moment. With all the worring that’s going on it’s making me eat more. I don’t smoke or drink, food seems to be my comfort. Is anyone else trying to lose weight while going through BC.
Thank you
Sharon Xx

Hi Sharon
I know how you feel, I also need to lose weight (at least 3 stone) but it is a life long problem for me and anything that generally causes others to lose weight, I gain it (breastfeeding - on it went, stress - on it goes etc). I am focussing more on trying not to gain any weight rather than trying to lose any, trying to keep feeling well is more important right now and I am half way through chemo and I find eating keeps the nausea at bay (a bit like it was for me in pregnancy). I am trying to eat the right foods to boost my immune system so in that respect I eat healthy stuff but I also eat comfort stuff :slight_smile:

I am also trying to keep up the exercise even if only slow walks as it helps with the weight and however much I have to force myself to do it I feel much better afterwards.

Don’t be hard on yourself, there will be time enough to focus on your diet.

Jayne x

Oh thank you Jayne that makes me feel a little better ive have also got around 3 stone to lose. perhaps i should start to eat heathly but not nessasary diet! and if i want that naught biscuit or two just have it.
Sharon Xx

Hi Sharon,
Don’t worry too much about your weight while going through your treatment and as Jayne says there is plenty time to concentrate on that once you are finished. I found I didn’t really put weight on during chemo but within a month of starting my tamoxifen I’d put on nearly a stone. I really panicked and when I went on the internet I read that this can happen but my onc said that there was no evidence tamoxifen was the cause of weight gain. I was about two stone overweight before my diagnosis – couldn’t really use pregnancy weight as an excuse any longer because my son is now 5 – and the thought of now being three stone overweight spurred me into action. I joined weightwatchers in April and have lost 38lbs – just four more to go to reach my three stone target. I’d never tried weightwatchers before and I found it really helped to count the points and I didn’t go near a gym – just hour long walks with the dog every other day or so. I’m telling you this so that you know it is possible to do when you have got the energy and time to focus on losing weight…right now your focus will be on getting through your treatment – that said don’t go too nuts or you will just have more to lose later on.
Good luck
L X

Hi Loubel

Thank you for sharing - that is encouraging as that is my plan once I’ve completed chemo and rads. I will also be on Tamoxifen so will be joining either weightwatchers or slimming world (I’ve done them all in the past…) to try and get rid of the 3 stone by the end of next year.

Jayne x

hi jayne,
It’s very achievable when you set your mind to it and health benefits are massive…they say losing weight can reduce your chances of recurrance. Good luck with your chemo and rads and i know there are some horror stories out there about tamoxifen side effects but just wanted to let you know i haven’t found them too bad!
L x