1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to stay calm.........FAILING!!!!

18 REPLIES 18
JuBo

Re: Trying to stay calm.........FAILING!!!!

Hi there I just wondered how you were getting on and if you had had your appointment yet ? Xx
hannah203

Macaway that's terrible!! At least you are getting seen but private isn't always ideal. It took me over 5 weeks to get to the breast screening unit because of my age they refused to do an urgent referral regardless of the lump I had!!!!!
macaway

well what can I say. My 9.10 appointment for a telephone assessment was cancelled. I rang the hospital to be told they cant send me an appointment as there are none and are waiting for more slots to be opened. The issue has been 'escalated' to senior management. I have now booked a private appointment for Friday. That will be 2 weeks to the day of seeing my GP. I thought you were supposed to be seen within 2 weeks on the NHS. I have now reached the 'why have I bothered' stage!
Jobey68

Please don't fear going to your gp , the not knowing is the very worst thing , in my experience something innocent led them to find something that could could potentially have Become a much bigger issue a way down the line, it's nothing that can be felt and they have to go back in with ultrasound and put a wire In it on Friday before my op so they can find it to remove it, I won't deny its sent me in to a complete melt down but I have an amazing husband, family and friends who are holding me together, we will all get theiugh what we have to face and being able to talk and help each other is the best therapy so please feel free to keep in touch via here or private message and don't feel you are alone as there are plenty of us going through the same emotions you are right now, take care Jo ️Xx
macaway

hi yildiz, stay in touch. You can send private message if you want x seems like we are a right pair of ostriches!!
I am having a better day than yesterday. I confided in a friend last night judithvr6 warned me of odd reactions lol....yeah I now know what she means!!
June_BCC

Hello Yildiz

Welcome to the forums.

As well as the forums we also have a support helpline where the staff can offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes,

June moderator

yildiz

hi I am sorry you are going through this. I to have put off seeing my GP I have a young family and I have to finish some work for my degree. Really stupid I know, I feel your pain, I keep going from being in control and brave to feeling sick to my stomach and crying. I haven't told anyone as my husband would panic and I want to finish my exams. Studying helps me stay calm, I have made an appointment with my GP but I fear the worse.

How are you feeling, do you mind if I keep in contact with you I haven't got anyone I can confind in.

macaway

Hi JuBo Good luck this morning, let us know how you get on xx got everything crossed for you.
Kim68 what can I say, but wow!! My little brother had something similar in the luck factor. He fell off a roof (yes we all laughed at him!) and he hurt his back, after a few weeks it was getting no better. A scan revealed 3 tumours in his spin, non Hodgkin's lymphoma (we stopped laughing then!) anyway that was 7 years ago and he is cancer free....all because it was caught so early, who would have thought fat would be lucky for you?? 🙂 hang in there girlies xx
Jobey68

Hi all, I found a lump at the end of February and went to the docs the very next day, a few weeks down the line and after various tests at the Breast clinic I have indeed been diagnosed with cancer but nothing to do with my lump which turned out to be fat, accidentally they stumbled across a tiny patch of something on an ultrasound which they biopsied and I now know is very early grade rare Tubular cancer, I am in a total state of shock by this finding although incredibly fortunate that something innocent led them to find it so early, this aside I am not coping well and am relying on antidepressants and plenty of wine to get me through, I have a lumpectomy next week and likely a few weeks of rads and many years of tamoxifen, we will all get through this ladies as we can all relate the the feeling of shock, fear and everything else that comes with this journey, please feel free to contact me on here or through private message anytime ️Xx
JuBo

Hi macaway, I did the same as you felt the lump and changes around Christmas time then gave it chance to go away before finally going the doctors just under 2 weeks ago. I was referred to the hospital and have my appt at 9 in the morning! Initially I thought how am I going to get through to 20th March but to be honest time has flown. I have read a lot on this site which is very informative. Write down anything you want to ask for Monday you will be clearer after then I'm sure, good luck xx
macaway

Thank you so much. I need information and Google just freaked me out, I should have contacted you guys first, but saying that I wouldn't have found you without Google, so as with every situation, there is always a flip side xx
Janet_BCC

Hello again macaway

I just wondered if this publication may be of some help.  It tells you a bit about what might happen at your clinic appointment:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/your_breast_clinic_appointment.pdf

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

macaway

thanks Janet, I think I could be a pest for a while x
macaway

Hi Judithvr6, I am a bit confused with the referral thing to be honest. I have a telephone assessment on Monday. What is that? I have no idea how it works or how long I will have to wait after that. I feel completely out of control and as a control freak that's not too good!! Too late for the Google advise, I am utterly stupid x having dinner with my best friend tonight, time to open up I think x thanks for the pre warning of reactions, think it could be an interesting time ahead 🙂
macaway

Hi thirtyeighteff, I have already turned to a little tot of scotch in the evenings...obviously all medicinal reasons, but obviously the longer I have to wait the more expensive this could turn out to be 🙂 I am sure they will fix us whatever they find, I am just having a wallowing day I think x thanks for listening x
Janet_BCC

Hi macaway and thirtyeighteff

Welcome to the BCC Forum where I'm sure you'll find lots of support from fellow members.

You can also contact our Helpline for information and support.  The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Judithvr6

Hi macaway 

I am sure there are plenty of people who have left it a lot longer before saying anything.

I hope you get an appointment through soon and everything turns out fine.

In the mean time I wouldn't spend too much time googling too much. It will only scare you.

All will be revealed in the fullness of time and until then try and keep busy. Give yourself time and space to be worried but try not to dwell on it. Confided in a good friend if you have anyone you think will help but be prepared for totally expected reactions.

Or keep reaching out on here.

Best wishes.

thirtyeighteff

I've just been diagnosed  -  no lump -  just called at random for a mammogram -  and they found 'an accumulation of cells' !!!!!   So a couple of weeks along the journey  -  at every step I've been treated with the utmost courtesy, tact and understanding by doctors and nurses.  So I'm taking this as a good sign.  I'm trying to take each day and each appointment as it comes.   I think all these experts are going to sort us out.  I'm not suggesting taking to drink  -  but I find a little tot of brandy with a cup of nice hot tea,  when I come home from an appointment, really helps settle my  nerves.   I mean a little tot, not the bottle.  Strictly medicinal.  Hope I've not contravened any regulations saying that !!   Good Luck  xx

macaway

Trying to stay calm.........FAILING!!!!

I found a lump just after Christmas in my right breast. Being like I am, I gave it a chance to go away....it didn't. I had a medication review for my Thyroxine in January and the nurse asked if I had any concerns or lumps and bumps....I said no! Stupid I know, but I was hoping it would go away!

Finally plucked up the courage to see the Dr, who was lovely and found the lump instantly and has refered me to the breast clinic, I am now waiting for the appointment.

I am now i bits, I think its because it feels like the Dr has given me permission to panic, as when no one knew, only me it was under control.......

What have I done by leaving it??? Oh God I am so stupid 😞