Tummy scar after DIEP

Hi everyone.

I wondered whether I could ask for advice about my appearance after my DIEP? I had a unilateral delayed  DIEP 2 weeks ago and am obsessing over my stomach! Pre surgery I was a side 14 but carried all my excess weight around stomach, plus having 2 10lb babies and 2 c sections, you can picture the scene! 

My surgeon explained that he wouldn’t achieve a flat washboard stomach but that it would be smooth. My biggest fear was that my c section overhang would be replaced by  another overhang.  

That is exactly what has happened…my scar is extremely low and I have a large overhang above it…it looks and feels like a very tight elastic band is around my lower stomach. 

I know that I am very swollen still, but when I prepped for this op and looked at photos , I never saw a stomach looking like this…even in women who appeared to be much larger than me.

I am so disappointed at the moment and can’t stop crying…I know I should be grateful that I’ve now got 2 breasts, but I can’t see past my ugly stomach. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi Cath

i had a double diep last August and had a smallish overhang prior to surgery but have always had quite a prominent abdomen muscle, my overhang has gone and like you have a low scar but still have this muscle bulge.

i am wondering if your muscle could now be protruding now that the fat has been removed from over it and it sounds like you had had a lot of trauma to that area previously so maybe the muscle wasn’t as firm as it would of been.

i would say however that you are at such early days and the swelling will take months to go away so I’m sure this will improve.

no doubt you will have a tweek op at a later date so it maybe that the surgeon may tighten things up on the abdomen for you.

its really early days and things will settle somewhat

I think if things still aren’t ok by six months then speak to your surgeon.

best of luck you’ve been through a lot so be kind to yourself

SL xx

Hi Cath I had a double DIEP 3 months ago. I also had 2 c-sections and had an overhang that didn’t respond at all to the sit ups I did for years afterwards!  The chance to have a tummy tuck was the main reason I opted for the DIEP so I understand exactly  where you’re coming from when you say you’re disappointed.

Two weeks is still early days though and it will still be swollen. Have you been wearing the compression knickers as I’m sure this helped my stomach to flatten and reduced the swelling. I also tried to do plenty of walking, just a little at first and then increased it to strengthen the core muscles and straighten me up a bit which I think helped. 

I’m pleased with it now but it does take time, hopefully they can reassure you at your appointment tomorrow that it will improve with time.