Tunbridge Wells - Private or Kent & Sussex?

Hello everyone, I’m in need of some local advice and hoping someone on the forum here might be able to help?

I finally went to my GP last week about a lump in my left breast and he has put me on the fast-track 2 week list for screening at my local NHS hospital - the Kent & Sussex in Tunbridge Wells. But with all the terrible publicity it has had recently I’m really worried about starting out there in case I need treatment. I’ve found there are two private hospitals in the area - Nuffield & Spire Fordcombe. Does anyone have any experience of any of these, would anyone recommend one over the other? I don’t have medical insurance but understand some private hospitals are part of an NHS scheme. Would be prepared to pay personally if it came to it for peace of mind.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi Karen

I am just looking into possible private surgery at the Nuffield in Haywards heath. I looked at the BUPA website. Sorry not much help I know I too don’t have medical insurance and would have to pay. If I find out anything will let you know.

Good luck whatever you decide

Paula x

Hi

I dont know either of the hospitals but I did have my treatment private at teh Alexandra Hospital in Cheshre. I was lucky enough to have health insurance through work which was just as well because the final bill was over £15,000!!!

An awful lot and you cannot have part private and part NHS so please be careful and price it first.

Good Luck

ALise x

I received treatment at the nearby Conquest Hospital in Hastings and can’t rate it highly enough. The hospital is modern and seemed clean enough and the staff have been wonderful. I am now having radiotherapy at Maidstone Hospital, which together with the Kent and Sussex, has recently been in the news! My experience so far of Maidstone is a good one and the oncology department and it’s staff seem very good.

A friend of mine had treatment for bc 6 years ago and was covered by health insurance. She had surgery and chemo at the Nuffield in Tunbridge Wells and radiotherapy at Maidstone. I think she was fairly happy with her treatment in the private sector but it was a while ago now. Her consultant works both in the private and public sector. Another friend has just recently undergone treatment (surgery and chemo) for bc at the Kent and Sussex (at the same time as me) and was satisfied with the care she received and the hospital in general. She too went to Maidstone for rads and has the same consultant as my other friend.

Good luck with your consultation, wherever and whoever it is with. Hopefully you won’t need further treatment.

Hi Ladies,
I recieved treatment at the nuffield in Haywards Heath and then chemo and Rads at Brighton - although I was private the treatment is alongside the NHS patients in Brighton andI think the team treating me were very good (only time will tell). Paula i had a lovely surgon and anethatist at the nuffield but they also do NHS work at the Princess Royal Haywards Heath - think you might have a bit longer to wait though, not sure if i am allowed to mention his name on here.
cheers
caroline

The Peggy Wood Unit at Maidstone is wonderful and you do have the option of going there as well. I have been more than happy with the treatment there. The staff are wonderful and reassuring.

Hi Caroline

So did you go private for surgery and chemo/rads all in all?

Does his name begin with A and surname Y?

I am waiting 4 weeks at PR HHeath for surgery…sorry up in arms about it on another thread…!!!

Cheers

Paula

Thank you so much for all your feedback ladies, it is really appreciated. I would have been lost without this website and the radio 4 info! I’ve just heard this evening that I’m covered under my partners work insurance so at least I know where I stand there. And do feel reasurred about Maidstone. Will speak to my GP in the morning (or his secretary anyway) and see if I can get a firm date set for the tests and will let you know how I get on.

All the very best to you all on your own journeys.

Karen

Hi Paula,
I didn’t see the surgon you mention (cos he was away on holiday) he is meant to be very good, the chap i saw name rhymes with ‘dammit’ if that’s any help! Fortunatly we had private medical insurance so surgery was a bit quicker than the NHS - otherwise although all treatment is private it is done alongside the NHS patients and no difference (as far as i could tell), I think you do get to see the consultants more often. I don’t think you get the same support from the BC nurses if you go private - they really work in the NHS sector and although always happy to answer ones queries you have to seek them out more.
Hope this helps
cheers
caroline

Karen
I am in T Wells and have had chemo, WLE (lumpectomy) and radiotherapy through my work private medical. The chemo is done at the Nuffield. I think the choice of where you go for surgery depends on where your surgeon goes. I see Mr Bentley and he is based at the Nuffield. I cannot speak more highly of the treatment I got there as an in patient. My onc is Rema Jyothirmayi and she consults at the Nuffield. All the radiotherapy is at Maidstone whether you are private or NHS. You will get access to the BC nurses at the Kent and Sussex. She even came to visit me when I was in the Nuffield. The chemo staff at the Nuffield are great too. I am still going there for my herceptin

Having said that, I have also been an in patient at the BUPA (now Spire) at Fordcombe and that is excellent too

Good luck with everything
Sharon x

Hi Caroline

Thanks for that I am seeing him on Friday sorry my 14 month old is hijacking my pc…argghhhhh

P x

Thanks Sharon & everyone else on here who has been so kind to lend advice.

On advice from my GP I went for the Spire in Fordcombe in the end (he mentioned a something about the consultant at Nuffield leaving soon??). Had my appointment on Thursday and they found 3 cysts which were drained there and then. Have been told they will probably re-occur and it will be an ongoing problem, but compared to what you are all going through I do appreciate I’m very lucky. The staff, radiologist and the consulant (Mr Williams) were all excellent.

Thanks again for all your advice and best wishes for 2008 everyone.

Karen

hi karen ,

How strange i used to work as a sister on the ward at the Spire however now i live in Essex . i still have friends there and know all the surgeons you have mentioned . pleased to hear you had good care !!

Sarah