Typical symptoms of DCIS???????

Hi all

I’ve got a thread in another area but I’m hoping there may be somebody with experience of DCIS who might help too.

Two months ago I found a lump.I had FNA and ultrasound- were told they were clear. Two weeks later I was recalled as they had anotehr look at results from FNA and they were ‘suspicious’ after all. I had further mammo,ultrasound and punch biopsy.That day I was told I had BC probably lobular but would have to wait for punch biopsy results to be sure. Two weeks later had these results and they were’suspicious’ so I’m having a WLE next week. Consultant has told me I definitely have atypical hyperplasia(spelling!). He suspects DCIS and maybe some invasive cells but he isn’t sure yet.

Things is ,today i went for my pre op and saw some of my notes which say the lump is 3.5 cm (scary) whereas the consultant had said it was 2cm to me.It also says things about enlarged lymph nodes which I wasn’t aware of. I thought that it was unlikely to have spread to lymph nodes if it is DCIS or am I wrong?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Freddie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had atypical hyperplasia and they did further tests and told me I definitely didn’t have breast cancer, but I wanted to have the lump out and when it was removed they then told me it was cancer after all, and was invasive i.e. not DCIS, although they found DCIS around the tumour.

The diagnosis of cancer is not quite 100% accurate, it is 99.8% accurate. As there are 46,000 women diagnosed a year, around 280 of them will not be diagnosed correctly initially. There’s human error and sampling error as well, as they are looking at slides across tissue and not all of it.

They are being careful by identifying any potential issues e.g. enlarged lymph nodes which may be symptoms of spread. I’d talk to the consultants about the issues you are concerned about and find out what they say.

Mole