UNUSUALLY HIGH OESTROGEN - MENOPAUSE

Following my annual appointment with my Oncologist I had a blood test to see if I was menopausal (I’m 52 and haven’t had anything for 23 months).  The result came back that I had an unusually high level of oestrogen and she wants to investigate this before deciding whether I should change from Tamoxifen.  She actually sounded more surprised than concerned, so I am naturally hanging on to this fact.  My cancer was oestrogen positive and so I am obviously worried and anxious about this.  I have read on the internet (following various Googles as we do!) that at about the time of menopause or just prior to it women can have unusually high levels (oestrogen surge), before it drops right off.  Does anyone have experience of this?  I am really hoping that this is normal and nothing for me to worry about (but of course I will!).  Thank you x   

Hi Sunnyday, 

I am sorry to hear about the confusion you have been experiencing. Hopefully one of our users will be along soon in order to offer their support.

In the meantime do give our support line a call at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to offer advice and support on the menopause and Tamoxifen.

Best wishes,

Lizzy 

I am still worrying about this but seeing the Oncologist next week.  One thing I have read is that one of the main causes of oestrogen dominance is adrenal fatigue - does anyone have any knowledge of this?  When I had pneumonia and pneumococcal septicaemia several years ago now I was told that I had a problem with my adrenal glands and that I would need to take a steroid for the rest of my life.  Nothing more was ever said about this though and my GP was quick to dismiss it when I queried it with him at a later date!  I am pinning my hopes on this, and hoping that something can then be done to reduce my oestrogen levels.  It doesn’t help that I had been reading a book “Oestrogen - Killer in our Midst” when I was told about my oestrogen level being unusually high for someone considered to be in menopause - it made quite frightening reading!  I’m hoping that someone will have some experience or knowledge of this.  Thank you x