Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT PLEASE

13 REPLIES 13
Community Manager

Re: URGENT PLEASE

Sandra Hi Sandra

I hope you don’t mind, but I have copied your post and started a new topic for you in the Undergoing treatment for breast cancer forum. The thread is called \'Zoladex as Treatment for Stage II\'. Hopefully this will mean that more people will notice your post and be able to read and respond to it.

Best wishes

BCC Moderator

KathyF

Hi Sandra In the UK, women who have early stage ER+ tumours and no node involvement, and for whom chemo is not thought necessary, are normally offered radiotherapy as well as hormone therapy after a WLE. After a mastectomy it will often be hormone therapy only. Things may be different in other European countries.

I had a stage 1, grade 1ER+ tumour 7 years ago and had a WLE, radiotherapy and 2 years only of tamoxifen (stopped because of side-effects). Last year I had a small, Grade 2, strongly ER+ recurrence under my old lymph node scar (outside the area treated by radiotherapy first time round). This time I\'ve had a mastectomy and am on Arimidex.

As I was post-menopausal with both my cancers, I was told chemo would only have been thought appropriate if there had been node involvement or the cancer had been grade 3.

Hope this helps
Kathy

Guest user
Not applicable

--- Thank you --- everybody for your replies. I spoke to the hospital yesterday and my breast surgeon. I will let you know what happens. Your help is much appreciated.

Sandra, I think there is another thread on your query so I have pointed the moderators to it to see if they can help you - hope that is OK. Only no-one will see your question on this thread.

Love to all Joy xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Zoladex as Treatment for Stage II ---Hello - I live in California. In the U.S. hormonal therapy has been ignored for years as the doctors make more money on chemo.
I found a study that indicated that Zoladex was equal to CMF (the old generation) chemotherapy for early stage, ER+ breast cancer.
Since I have this type of cancer (Stage IIa, no lymph node involvement ER+PR+, good margins, and low mitotic count) I am seriously considering just taking the hormone therapy. It is my understanding that many women in Europe do this with great results, although in the US its not even offered to us (although I did find an oncologist who went to a lot of trouble to arrange for me to get it here, although she is still pushing chemo).
If anyone out there has used hormone therapy alone (no chemo or radiation) for early stage breast cancer, I would love to hear from you and to hear if you had recurrences or not.
Thank you - Sandra

Guest user
Not applicable

Joy Joy, sorry I forgot to add to my previous reply I too have a grade 3 cancer, and was told this is one of many reasons why I cannot have my gall bladder op yet.

Sorry to mess you about.

Good Luck. Denise x

Guest user
Not applicable

Your urgent dilema Hi Joy,

Sorry you are having such problems, it seems like one thing after another sometimes.

I agree with all the other replies you have had so far. But I just wanted you to know, I was placed on the 4 month waiting list in late Nov 05 to have my Gall Bladder removed due to a large stone which is causing very disturbing pains. When I got diagnosed with Breast Cancer in Dec 05, I told my Breast Surgeon about my impending op for the gall bladder and he promptly but politely said - \"No sorry that will have to wait until your Chemo has finished\" he went onto say that they will look at my results after my final chemo in July 06, and make a decission to see if I will be well enough for the op.

I am sorry I cannot be of more use to but I hope it helps you in some way, and like the others have said, your best to contact the hospital.

Wishing you all the very best, take care.

Denise x

belinda

Hello Joy. So sorry you had all this extra worry! I would take everyone\'s advice above. I understand your dilema, hope the onc can advise, I believe you either have distant mets at the time of diagnosis or you are okay. When there is talk of recurrence it\'s so very misleading, the cancer hasn\'t returned it never went away, as the mets were already micro mets.
Hope your onc is able answer ALL your questions.
Lots of Love, Belinda.xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Joy Thank you - as far as I know I am well although still struggling with chemo side effects.

It is horrible that you are in such a scary medical situation and sad that it is being made worse by incompetent medical record keeping and poor communication between hospitals. I agree totally with Gandalf - you should send a copy of your letter to all of the people in all of the hospitals involved in your treatement. This might help them to see the need to talk to each other. I hope it all goes well for you and that you eventually achieve a good outcome.

Best wishes
Roisin

Guest user
Not applicable

Joy I agree with Roisin that the only people qualified to answer your questions are the medics, but I am so sorry that you have this horrible dilemma. I think you have to be more assertive than you probably feel right now and insist on having all the facts before you sign the consent form for the operation. In fact when you write to the breast surgeon, I would copy the letter to the other lot - that way, if they\'re keen to go ahead, they might press for a speedy answer.

Good luck, nj

Guest user
Not applicable

While writing it sounds like a good opportunity to place on record your dissatisfaction about the mislaid blood results, incorrect results/diagnoses, etc . At the very least ask for the administrative infelicities to which you refer to be investigated. \"Lost files\" seems to indicate lethargy or inefficiency, or plain poor filekeeping system.

It is always a good idea to place this sort of thing on the record. A statgement lie ksuch as \"I don\'t want to have to make a formal complaint but...\" tends to ginger things up.

Good luck with the continuing treatment.

Guest user
Not applicable

--- hI rOISIN --- Thank you for your response and opinion which I value.

I have asked certain of those questions. Re the cancer being left in, the surgeon felt that as it was on the breast bone further surgery was not possible without removing so much of my chest that it would have been physically disabling and trusts that the intense chemo and deep radiation may have killed any remaining cancer (at the site). At the mammo and ultra sound recently there were three white flashes which she feels although need to be kept an eye on are hopefully not signs that the cancer is still there, (ie the chemo etc done the job).

The problem lies in the fact that I am actually attending different hospitals which has proven there is a communication problem between them. The oopherectomy is at one hospital and is being done because of a cyst on the ovary (to make sure it IS a cyst) and because I am high risk inherantly for this. But they say because of the problems with my bowels (long story and another hospital !) this will be quite a major surgery (long story) but still adviseable.

However, for example, yesterday at the pre-op when they contacted my \'breast\' hospital for the blood results they needed (which were done last week only) - the breast cancer hospital had once more lost my results. They will probably turn up in a few months\' time!!! So the gynaecology hospital had to do more tests. (One of these is for the problem with what I call my dead feet which they can\'t operate till they know if something they suspect may cause them is decided upon).

I am worried probably because so far someone keeps losing my files, results are incorrect or lost, and misdiagnoses keep taking place.

I have taken note of something you said which I think makes sense, and I am going to write a letter to the breast surgeon to ask her opinion on the risks of surgery re the immune system under my own circumstances. Many thanks (I think if I put it in a letter I am more likely to get a response than a phone call to her secretary.)

Hope you are also well.

Love Joy xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Medical advice needed urgently Joy

I have a feeling this post refers to yourself and that you are considering surgery on another part of your body although you still have an incompletely incised breast cancer. I am not a medical expert but it seems obvious that you have not been given enough information to be able to make this decision on the basis of informed choice. The only people who can give you this information, and take responsibility for any adverse outcomes, are your oncological team.

You must speak to them as a matter of urgency and ask a) why was the breast cancer not completely taken away? b) what will the consequences be of it remaining there? c) is possible spread from this cancer being controlled by drugs/radiotherapy etc? d) are your concerns about surgery whilst having a lowered immune system as well as a possibly still active cancer realistic? and e) are you being advised to have the surgery (oopherectomy perhaps?) as a way of helping to control the breast cancer? If so this puts a very different light on the whole thing.

PLEASE speak to your onc as soon as possible. These are important questions but I am certain no-one who visits or facilitates these forums can answer them far less take responsibility for the outcomes of having surgery or not having it.

I do hope you get help with this and that if you choose to have the surgery it goes well.

Best wishes
Roisin

Community Manager

URGENT PLEASE I have moved this to start a new thread as I think it would be lost in it\'s previous home
Kind regards
BCCModerator

URGENT PLEASE posted on 24.01.06 11:32 am
GERONIMO

--- Don\'t know if this the right place to put this but can anyone help me.

Has there been a statistic or does anybody have a point of view on:-

If you have a grade three stage 3 cancer, incompletely excised and have all the treatment surgery, chemo, rads etc etc. if you then have an operation for something not connected to breast cancer DIRECTLY - e.g. bowel, ovaries, hysterectomy, for example, because having the operation will make you low and your immune system is already struggling, are you in fact opening the flood gates for any cancer cells in your body to strike up as secondaries in the bone, lungs, etc because your body is at a low ebb.... hence this should be taken into account before deciding whether to go ahead with the operation.

As I say this could be the wrong thread, but statistically there may be something already known. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Joy x

Community Manager

URGENT PLEASE

URGENT PLEASE