Ultrasound clear but still worried

hi everyone,

im new to this forum so I hope you’ll bear with me. ?

i have always had lumpy bumpy breasts, especially the right one. Two years ago I went to the doctor as I found a small hard pea sized lump under my nipple. Turns out it was a tiny cyst. Feeling reassured I left it at that. Fast forward six months and I felt what can only be described as a thick dense bumpy region in the upper outer right breast. The left was not so pronounced so off back to the doctor I trot. Another ultrasound and mammogram (not sure why I had this as I was only 29 at the time) and again all that’s picked up is the cyst. Am told that the lumpy area is just dense breast tissue.

fast forward another year and am feeling around in the bath when I come across what feels like a small lump, about the size of a ball bearing on the lumpy tissue. Panic kicks in and even more so when further down the breast I feel a slightly larger lump. Both lumps feel kind of rubbery (not soft but not rock hard) and move around a little when pressed. Back to the doctors for a third time and am referred to breast clinic although he reassures me he thinks it’s just fibrous tissue.

ultrasound finds nothing on the first lump, am told its just glandular and fatty tissue making it feel lumpy. But I’m not convinced by this, what I can feel seems to be an actual discrete lump that appears to move slightly. How can this just be normal breast tissue? The radiologist just told me what she saw is normal for my age and not to worry. But I am worried. The lump is easier to feel in certain positions and it almost feels like it disappears between my ribs at times. I am very slim with small breasts so I’m worried that the lump may have been hidden from view on ultrasound. The second slightly larger lump she had difficulty finding although she could feel it. Once she finally located it she just said it s a small fibroadenoma and that’s it’s benign and not to worry. When I questioned her on how she could be sure she just said it has all of the characteristics and they see them all of the time. She didn’t want to biopsy it as she said its in an awkward place but also said if she had had any doubt she would have stuck a needle in me. I just don’t feel reassured by this. Surely the only way to be 100% sure is to biopsy it?

i should mention I do have an issue with health anxiety since I lost numerous members of my close family to cancer, including my dad, and recently two friends in their 30s too. No immediate history of breast cancer in the family though. Should I be reassured by what the radiologist has told me and just monitor it for any changes or do you think I should push for a second opinion and possibly a biopsy? I don’t want to be a nuisance but I’m more concerned that something is being overlooked. I just don’t want to be afraid anymore.

any help or advice you ladies can give me would be much appreciated.

love Sam xxx

Hi Sam,the radiographers are very skilled at knowing what they are looking at and like the radiographer said if there is any doubt they biopsy ,but if you are really anxious why don’t you go to G.P and ask for a re-referral in a couple of months time if your symptoms don’t improve.Its very hard having that nagging doubt when you still have symptoms that concern you .Hope you get some peace of mind .Jill.