Ultrasound then mammogram?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on this?! I discovered a lump in May and had a examination and an ultrasound, although the doctor sent me to the ultrasound with a ’ query cancer’ ( she told me after) I was told it all looked normal but they would see me in three months to be safe. I returned yesterday. The doctor I saw was not happy with the lump and I’m now waiting for another Ultrasound and a mammogram, which she had to specially request as I’m 39 not 40! Im to have these in the next week. What could the mammogram show that the ultrasound didn’t? Thought yesterday was just a routine follow up so now I’m confused and worried.

Thanks,

Kittyphoenix

Hi kittyphoenix

I am sorry to read you are having a difficult time at the moment, I’m sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer you their experiences and support. 

In the menatime you might find it helpful to talk things through with a memeber of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can share your worries and concerns with someone who will offer you emotional support as well as practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday toFriday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Hi Kittyphoenix,

As far as I know, the mammogram wouldn’t show anything particularly as most young women have ‘dense breasts’ that a mammogram can’t really ‘see’ through. That is why there is no breast screening mammogram as standard, for younger women. So as far as I’m concerned, the reason for the mammogram is a mystery. Even we older women who do have mammograms have to have an ultrasound scan to see the lump more clearly, especially if a biopsy is needed. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Sending hugs and best wishes.

poemsgalore xx

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. Sometimes I feel daft for worrying when there is a bigger chance that this lump will be nothing but we can’t be logical all the time can we?! Your info was interesting and informative Lulu 34:smileyhappy: thank you. It’s the sort of question i should have asked at the time but you forget!

Appointment through for next Thursday so at least there is a date to work towards!

Fingers crossed for all.

Kitty

xx