cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underarm hair removal

18 REPLIES 18
stressy_messy

Re: Underarm hair removal

Hi there is no evidence that aluminum deodorants cause BC. I was told not to use any perfumed deodorant or products whilst having rads, not because of the aluminum but because of skin irritation and to only use the cream recommended. I used Bionsen sensitive skin roll on for a while after rads and it's quite good if you don't want to use normal deodorant. I soon went back to my normal roll on though lol and as I said there is no evidence that aluminum deodorants cause BC. Cancer Research have a one stop myth busting blog about all the so called things that cause cancer. Here's a link if anyone's interested xx

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2010/11/24/cancer-controversies-a-one-stop-myth-busting-shop...

kitten_mad

I used the hair removing cream, as I find the area is not "flat" enough for a shaver. As for the deoderant, when I did some research on the aluminium scenario - it said that it was not proven that it was a risk, so I am back using normal one. Mind you the area is so numb that I can't tell if it has gone on or not, so have to feel it afterwards 😉

Mariecay

Hi pink, if you can believe it I was more nervous about shaving my pit than I was about surgery! Lol ridiculous I know! I was embarrassed afterwards as it was so simple and straight forward and uneventful that I cannot believe I'd worked myself up so much!
I've been told nothing with aluminium in? X
pinkrunner

I had my node clearance on 5 December and still havent managed to shave under the arm ! Lol !  My daughter bought me a lady razor but I feel a bit nervous about using it.  Now you've plucked up the courage to do yours - I think I may have to reassess the situation.  I was never given any advice about deodourant although obviously didnt wear any for a while.  I just bought a non-alcohol naturel roll on.  What advice re de-odourant can any one give ?  xxxx Pinkrunner xxx

Mariecay

Lol hijaqs desperate times and all that! It was starting to cover my scar it was that long! Lol x
hijaqs

Hi Mariecay,

That's so funny.  It should be one of them 'love is' quotes. Xx

Mariecay

Thanks again everyone x I got my other half to do it with his beard trimmer! Lol I gotta say I feel much better....now just gotta go through the 'which deodorant is the safest to use' worry lol x
parky

An epilator works by pulling the hairs out from the roots - that's what I used before SNB.  Afterwards

my surgeon advised me not to as it can cause skin irritaion and occasionally little blood spots, which is not a good idea due to post op tenderness and more importantly, there is a chance that infection could set in and then problems with lymphodema.

Hand held razors can sometimes nick the skin, so if you want to play it safe use an elecric razor or leave it for a while!

Freda61

Mariecay, I would not use an epilator, far too painful.  I use one on my legs & could not do under arms before surgery, let alone after. After surgery I just used a disposible razor very carefully and not too close to the scar.  I know what you mean about it being such a simple task, but I think I needed to do it to regain some of my dignity (or at least pretend to myself I had some dignity).  During rads I am afraid i did shave too at the weekends, the skin was a little sore there, but at least it was not hairy & smelly too!

Lakeslover

The electric one I have has never nicked my skin. I need to be careful not to apply too much pressure as the skin around the area is still numb.

The thought of an epilator has always been too painful for me!

Mariecay

Thanks for all your replies 🙂 my surgeon said not to shave but to buy an epilator, but am I right in thinking that this can sometimes nick the skin? Would an electric razor not do this? I'm so very confused and if I'm honest, very worried about about doing it at all 😕 who would have thought such as simple task could leave your head in a mess! X
Lakeslover

During rads I was told not to remove hair with anything.

Before then I used an electric razor, very gently. Also since for the small amount which still grows.

stressy_messy

I wouldn't use the cream during rads but should be ok before you start xx

parky

Hiya, due to risk of lymphodema we're advised not to use anything that might

tear the skin such as manual razors, waxing or epiladies. 

Electric razors and hair removal cream (if patch test is ok) are the way to go.

I bought an electric shaver online and it didn't arrive for 6 weeks.  Luckily, since it was winter

it didn't matter so much and probably gave my scar a chance to heal a bit!

Hope that helps, P x

Mariecay

I thought about cream...think I'll need to do a patch test somewhere 😕 x
stressy_messy

Mine didn't come back for a very along time after rads but did return 😞 

I have quite a large dent under my arm from node clearance and can't do it with a razor plus I still have numbness so I may cut myself. I have to use a sensitive hair removal cream or have 1 long haired arm pit lol. xx

Mariecay

Thanks for your reply grumpy but I can't wait that long, I will be able to plait them! Lol x
grumpy

I had rads after node clearance, and guess what? underarm hair doesn't grow any more!!! the occassional straggly is dealt with VERY gently with a manual razor.

grumpy

Mariecay

Underarm hair removal

Hi everyone I was wondering what's the best thing to use for removing underarm hair post node clearance. X