cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underwired bras after Mx and LD flap

24 REPLIES 24
kitten_mad

Re: Underwired bras after Mx and LD flap

Helen - It first showed up as red marks but there was definitely no swelling involved. Really just like a rash at first. Please feel free to PM me if you need any more details.

K M x

Helenbythesea

Dear Kitten,

What were the symptoms of Lymphatic cancer in the skin? 

Curo=ious as i am swlollen up all the time but keep being told it is post- operative.

kitten_mad

Happy lady, I am still in pull on bras but at the weekend just wore those tops with the extra support in them. Weirdly it still felt as if I had a bra on that was too tight! The underarm area you mentioned is sore with me too so I think it is nerve damage. I will try to mention it to the surgeon before I get put under! Please feel free to PM with any questions and I'll PM you after the op if that is ok?

K M x

Happy_Lady

Hi Kitten_mad

My sore area is below armpit, just where my bra sits, so end of day its uncomfortable. Thinking of getting tops with 'secret support' so I can get out of wearing a bra.

Re lipofil, I was told it would be day surgery and would only need time off work to get over anesthetic, I have only just started my phased back to work last week since September, (op Sept, Oct and MX Nov) so don't want to have a long period off again.

Good Luck and keep in touch. xx

kitten_mad

Also meant to say that I am really sore where the drain was - sort of underneath the muscle relocation. The implant area is fine but all my pain is near the armpit. GP gave me amitryptiline to help but I don't want to rely on that as it can be addictive. It does help with nerve pain though. Is that where you are also sore. You can easily PM me if you need more info

K M x

kitten_mad

Happy Lady - I'l let you know how the op goes - it is next Wed., sort of looking forward to it in a weird way. I didn't think I would be off work for long but some people say if you get your lypofill by injection it is ok and you don't bruise so much, but to be honest I am not too sure what the other way is?

K M x

Happy_Lady

Hi

Would you please let us know how you get on Kitten_mad with your surgery end of Feb.

I have to see my surgeon next week after surgery  think Lipofill will also be discussed.

Had Mx and LD flap in Nov get fluid build up on my side and back, how long before it stops?

Always made worst by doing something new like new exercise or driving.

Also I had the tight feeling on my 'bad' quarter use bio oil and then slap on E45 cream it really does help.

Hope all goes well for you all.

kitten_mad

WLE is Lumpectomy and ANC is removing all the lymph nodes, I that in 2012 then Chemo and 25 rads, but had the Mx in Sept 2013 as it all came back in my skin - lymphatic cancer. In fact it came back within 2 months of having clear mammogram! I think the odd pains are with the back muscle being relocated to a different place. If I think back to where you are now it has definitely improved though, my surgeon said it can take years! and sometimes the numbness doesn't go away. If I put deoderant on the "bad side" I can't feel hot or cold. Defo don't have the rolled newspaper feeling! Also if you use the cream that you get after rads The Aqueous BP - it is really cheap for a huge tub, that is good to rub on your side. Have you still to have chemo and rads too? I spoke to someone this week that had had the Lypofill and she said she had been off work for a few weeks, I had been thinking a few days! 

rustywoof

Thanks KM
What stage are you at now? Did you have have chemo? not sure what WLE and ANC are. Yes I know what you mean about the side its's tight and stretched to the max I too use the bio oil....How is the feeling under the arm where the muscle is? does it still feel like a rolled newspaper? Also I guess im getting sensation back week by week and get funny sensations in my breast???also some odd pains here and there does that settle down too...
thanks for your advise
rustywoof
kitten_mad

Hi Rustywoof -

Things are still obviously not perfect but the back has healed up amazingly well, I do put on bio oil every day which helps soften them. I have most pain in my side where the skin was stretched a great deal, but apart from carrying anything really heavy on the "bad" side I would say I am getting back to normal. Seromas are horrible, had two of them with my WLE and ANC last time but none with the LD flap and Mx, I found it very sore getting them drained. It is still not long since your surgery though so things will gradually get better. I went for physio regularly too which helped strengthen my arm.

Take care

K M x

rustywoof

Hi there, I just wondered I have had the same surgery in dec. Still having a seroma drained so chemo is delayed...Has everything settled down being 3 month ahead of me?
kitten_mad

Went to see surgeon yesterday and he has booked me in for some cosmetic work at the end of February. He is going to make a nipple out of the breast skin (which is really the back skin) and tattoo around it, also to get some Lypofill from my thighs to round off the impant to make it match better. Operation around 2 - 3 hours, anyone has this done, and how long did you have to stay at home for afterwards?  

I know this is really sad - but I am quite excited about this, although I have dreaded the other three!

K M x

alexc23

After 4 year of cotton tops and mastectomy bras and sports bras went mad this xmas and have lovely new undies and bras in the drawer. Wasnt allowed to wear underwires for ages as I had mx then reconstruction 18 months later but am now going through the colour palette in choosing new ones. I threw out my old ones half way through as was upsetting to see them but its only meant I had to get all new Smiley Happy Hubby says its great to see me in something other then black, white and nude colours, I agree. Hang in there you'll get back to them. xx

Soosie_Soo

Thanxs Happy Lady xxx

Happy_Lady

Hi Ladies

Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas.

Thanks K M for your message, please keep in touch and let us know how you get on in Jan.

To Soosie_Soo I was fed up with the sports bra as I was going out Christmas Eve so got a soft non wire bra and took two of the form inserts out of sports bra and stitched the in to new boob side (which is a little smaller)

It was not the prettiest bra in the draw but it made me feel 'special' We will all get out of the sports bras one day, just keep smiling till then. Also stay in touch.

xx

scone

Hello Ladies

I had LD recon in October 2011 and have since had 2 fat transfer ops and a reduction to healthy side for symmetry.

I went back underwired bras about 8 months post op (LD) and have not found them uncomfortable.

I didn't go back to my pre dx bras as I was much smaller after all my recon ops. I do find that I need to buy the post formed? cups, I get them from M&S about £18 per bra they make up for the slight difference in size.

I did buy post surgery bras for quite a while after all my ops as they were slightly padded and non underwired.

It does take a bit of time to get back into 'pre op' bras again after  months of sports bras .

Soosie_Soo

So glad to have found this thread. I had mx and ld flap operation in June this year and I have found it really difficult to get to talk to others who have had the same operation and who understand what I have been going through. I am still wearing sports bras and am not sure when I am going to be able to wear a normal bra. I still feel that I need the comfort and support of a larger bra even though they are horrible and unattractive. Man Sad  

kitten_mad

Happy Lady - I am a couple of months ahead of you but still wearing my sports bras, had to go to the Breast Clinic today as there were 3 stitches which hadn't dissolved properly and were sticking out, so reckon I will be on the sports bras a while longer as I am a bit tender! My new boob looks great in a bra and is more or less the same size but sits slightly higher up than the original one. To see my surgeon late Jan about lipo and nipple etc., so will let you know how it goes. Not sure if the bras mentioned earlier in this thread will maybe help you in the meantime,  Hope you all have a lovely Christmas

K M x

Happy_Lady

Hi

I had my Mx and LD flap op mid November. Still wearing sports bra and recon breast is smaller.

Any advice on bras to make a more even size?

Have been offered liposuction to even up size in the future but unsure what to do at moment.

So glad to find other ladies out there like me.

Loubee

I can't wear underwired bras, too tender. I had my mx & LD recon in October 2012, I had my nipple reconstruction in November & a flap taken off my back. The back wound became infected & opened up 2 weeks ago, so I haven't been able to wear any type of bra or support top since then. Am dreading the consequences!!
kitten_mad

Thanks so much Helen, will look out for those makes. I know it is early days and I would maybe only wear them if I was going out somewhere special for a few hours. Good to know there is light at the end of the tunnel! Will just have to be patient I suppose. Thanks K M x

Helen15

Hi K M,
I'm in the same position as you, LD flap and implant but mine was done a little earlier in July. I know some surgeons say wait a year before trying an under wired bra but mine said I could wear one if I wanted. I tried a few weeks ago and it was very uncomfortable but tried again just a few days ago and it was much better. I couldn't wear it all day though and I felt it didn't give as much support but was so nice to wear something normal again. I have found a post surgery bra which is a good compromise though. An Anita bra called Nastasja which has a band underneath, gives
medium support and shape and is quite pretty. I also got a Bestform padded bra which evens out the difference in size of the 2 sides. Don't throw your bras out yet, I'm sure in a few more weeks you will be able to wear them, I think it takes time for the muscle to relax and the implant to drop. Hope your recovery is going well.
Helen xx
kitten_mad

Thanks Jane - but that leaflet is only about advice wearing a bra with a Prosthesis and I actually have a breast (of some description) so not really helpful at all.

Jo_BCC

Hi Kitten Mad,

I have put for you below the link to BCC's publication A confident choice, which discusses clothing following breast operations, I hope you find it helpful.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/confident-choice-breast-pros...

Here's also the link to the area of this website where BCC's lingerie evenings are discussed:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/talks-courses-local-support/talks-courses/...

I hope you find this helpful.  Take care,

Jo, Moderator

kitten_mad

Underwired bras after Mx and LD flap

I had Mx and LD flap done in mid Sept, still wearing pull on bras which are great, but find it a bit upsetting going into my "bra" drawer and seeing all the lovely options just sitting  there. I always wore underwired bras and wonder will I ever ever be able to wear them in the future? I have tried but it is really uncomfortable, and wondered if I would be better just getting rid of them now if I am never going to be able to wear them again. Even after a few years perhaps?  Some of them are even unworn 😞

Really looking for some advice from women who have been through these ops a few years ago. My new boob consists of a small implant and the back muscle at the armpit side. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

K M