Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underwired mastectomy bras

7 REPLIES 7
Karis

Re: Underwired mastectomy bras

Hi
I had a couple of disastrous purchases in the early days - probably too much too soon. I was fitted for a Royce Jasmine bra by the local John Lewis fitter when I was feeling just awful, and have got along fine with it. Shortly after I went to the Nicola Jane shop in London ( bit of an expedition to get a swimsuit), and the fitter there sorted me out with exactly the same, and said the JL fitter had got it just about right. It's cut low enough at the side to mostly miss the painful scar. I don't think I could even imagine underwiring!!
K x

gritstonegal

I had a mastectomy 14 months ago now, I'm 34B & have been wearing underwired bras now for some time - havn't had any advice not too!!
I get mine from good old M&S - if you look on their website, take 20% off the price shown (you don't pay VAT on 'post surgery' items) and they do free postage on 'post surgery' items. Read any reviews carefully to get an idea of sizing.
Good luck

raechi

Thank you so much ladies for the advice 🙂

lizzy_c

Hi,
I am from the Isle of Man so less choice than you ladies !! how ever when returning from holiday I had a bra fitting in Debenhams from a loveley lady who had 16 years ecperience and a lot of patience ,I am a 36g and she gave me a fantasie bra full cup underwired no pocket think it ws called Helena it holds me pefectly in place my falsie is a size 10 and is on offer at the moment at 22.50 in 3 colours ,I would strongly recommend a fitting I have wasted so much on bras in the past year .
lizzy

Ali_H

I had mx and implant recon last autumn, and I've been trying to find a nice, comfy, pretty bra. I've tried wearing one of my 'old' underwired bras again but I end up feeling a little tender on the implant side, should I persevere or not wear the underwire style anymore? I'm 34 c, so I feel a bit swamped by the non-wired support bras, but not sure if a triangle bra will actually do anything on the saggy side.....
Welsh_girl

I am a different size than you completely at 36A but my people told me not to wear underwired bras either....
I'm three years on now and occasionally I've been tempted to wear an old underwired bra to keep me 'looking forward' rather than spilling out the sides but it is so uncomfortable that I return to the 'soft spilling out the sides' look.
Comfort is so important so why not change your outer clothes to be more roomy and swishy rather than close fitting?
Layers with a scarf maybe in these winter months??? No one notices the actual shape of the absent breast!
Or take one wire out of a good old bra that you felt good in and check how it feels.....
If it's ok, arrange to have a proper pocket fitted.
Good luck with your return to work.

Welsh girl x

Patchit

Hiya Rae
Must admit, finding a bra was the most frustrating thing! A lot of ladies recommend the 'Genie' bra, think they sell them in BHS and on Amazon. I havent tried them so cant recommend through experience. I have ended up with 3 bras, all the same style but different colours. Mine is a Royce 'Champagne' and is just right for me (36D). I tried loads though before I found this one.
Good luck!
Joan xxx

PS, mine isnt underwired, my surgeon said not to use them after the mx. xx

raechi

Underwired mastectomy bras

Hi ladies,
i am having terrible trouble finding decent post mx bras. I am a 36G and would like something that is feminine with a bit of support. I did find one on Nicola Jane which was a playtex one but they no longer stock it. I am at a loss. I go back to work next week and want to at least feel comfortable with no boob!
any help would be much appreciated.
thanks,
rachael
x